Pure vision, what's up with?

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
climb-up

Pure vision, what's up with?

Post by climb-up »

I wonder if anyone can tell me a little about Pure Vision transmissions (if I even have the terminology correct) and how they are received and verified.
I'm not so much interested in how one lama might verify another lama's pure vision (unless that is part of the process), because I know that these can be controversial and there can be disagreements, but about a lama or practitioner receives and verifies these.

Is it common for lamas to receive pure visions as part of their three year retreat, or through their practice in general?
Are these visions sought, or do they just arise?
How are they differentiate from a very strong imaginary experience?

(Just to be clear, ...I have received no pure visions and am not trying to verify any, just very interested in this process).
"Death's second name is 'omnipresent.' On the relative truth it seems we become separate. But on the absolute there is no separation." Lama Dawa
Thomas Amundsen

Re: Pure vision, what's up with?

Post by Thomas Amundsen »

Pure visions may be a little less "regulated" than termas. But my understanding of termas is that there are some checks and balances in the tradition, it's not completely wild and hairy. For one, I believe a terton must be a reincarnation of one of Padmasambhava's 25 disciples. Secondly, there are six (up to nine?) terma lineages that must be intact for a terma to be considered valid. One of those is a prophesy lineage. The terton should have already been prophesied by Guru Rinpoche that they would reveal this teaching at a particular time and place. Some of these prophesies really are quite detailed.
climb-up

Post by climb-up »

Thomas Amundsen wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:53 am Pure visions may be a little less "regulated" than termas. But my understanding of termas is that there are some checks and balances in the tradition, it's not completely wild and hairy. For one, I believe a terton must be a reincarnation of one of Padmasambhava's 25 disciples. Secondly, there are six (up to nine?) terma lineages that must be intact for a terma to be considered valid. One of those is a prophesy lineage. The terton should have already been prophesied by Guru Rinpoche that they would reveal this teaching at a particular time and place. Some of these prophesies really are quite detailed.
Oh wow, thats amazing. I had no idea that it was that detailed!
I'm even more interested in the differences or similarities between the qualifications of a terton and of the receiver of a pure vision teaching.
"Death's second name is 'omnipresent.' On the relative truth it seems we become separate. But on the absolute there is no separation." Lama Dawa
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Thomas Amundsen wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:53 am Pure visions may be a little less "regulated" than termas. But my understanding of termas is that there are some checks and balances in the tradition, it's not completely wild and hairy. For one, I believe a terton must be a reincarnation of one of Padmasambhava's 25 disciples. Secondly, there are six (up to nine?) terma lineages that must be intact for a terma to be considered valid. One of those is a prophesy lineage. The terton should have already been prophesied by Guru Rinpoche that they would reveal this teaching at a particular time and place. Some of these prophesies really are quite detailed.
Most of these rules are later elaborations.
florin

Post by florin »

climb-up wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:35 pm I wonder if anyone can tell me a little about Pure Vision transmissions (if I even have the terminology correct) and how they are received and verified.
I'm not so much interested in how one lama might verify another lama's pure vision (unless that is part of the process), because I know that these can be controversial and there can be disagreements, but about a lama or practitioner receives and verifies these.

Is it common for lamas to receive pure visions as part of their three year retreat, or through their practice in general?

(Just to be clear, ...I have received no pure visions and am not trying to verify any, just very interested in this process).
You need to be a reancarnation of someone who has had the very rare privilege of having been personally chosen by Padmasambhava to receive the transmissions of said treasures.
These are some of his disciples. When the time comes for these treasures to be revealed the disciple should enter a period of retreat where he meets Padmasambhava himself in a vission or a dream and where past memories of empowerments and details about the terma to be revealed are awakened.
I guess the way this happens is not set in stone but this is how, more or less, Ratna Lingpa explains it.
Thomas Amundsen

Malcolm wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:15 pm
Ah, that makes sense. Later like 14th century, or much more recent?
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Thomas Amundsen wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:32 pm
It is cumulative, each generation added more rules.
Thomas Amundsen

Malcolm wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:12 pm
Thomas Amundsen wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:32 pm

It is cumulative, each generation added more rules.
Gotcha, thanks! :anjali:
climb-up

Post by climb-up »

Does the fact that they are later elaborations mean that some do not follow them, or are they now commonly accepted?
climb-up

Post by climb-up »

florin wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:56 pm
climb-up wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:35 pm I wonder if anyone can tell me a little about Pure Vision transmissions (if I even have the terminology correct) and how they are received and verified.

You need to be a reancarnation of someone who has had the very rare privilege of having been personally chosen by Padmasambhava to receive the transmissions of said treasures.
These are some of his disciples. When the time comes for these treasures to be revealed the disciple should enter a period of retreat where he meets Padmasambhava himself in a vission or a dream and where past memories of empowerments and details about the terma to be revealed are awakened.
I guess the way this happens is not set in stone but this is how, more or less, Ratna Lingpa explains it.
This is to be a terton right?
Or is it the same to receive a pure vision?
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

climb-up wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:15 pm

My late teacher, an important terton, said if you want to be a terton, the only real requirement is faith in Guru Rinpoche. If you supplicate him strongly enough with genuine compassion for sentient beings, then you might be able to reveal terma.
climb-up

Post by climb-up »

Malcolm wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:17 pm My late teacher, an important terton, said if you want to be a terton, the only real requirement is faith in Guru Rinpoche. If you supplicate him strongly enough with genuine compassion for sentient beings, then you might be able to reveal terma.
:heart:
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

climb-up wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:23 pm
Malcolm wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:17 pm My late teacher, an important terton, said if you want to be a terton, the only real requirement is faith in Guru Rinpoche. If you supplicate him strongly enough with genuine compassion for sentient beings, then you might be able to reveal terma.

In addition, I believe Naropa has a degree program for that now.
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
climb-up

Post by climb-up »

dzogchungpa wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:25 pm
climb-up wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:23 pm

In addition, I believe Naropa has a degree program for that now.
:rolling:
Motova

Post by Motova »

Malcolm wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:17 pm
climb-up wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:15 pm
My late teacher, an important terton, said if you want to be a terton, the only real requirement is faith in Guru Rinpoche. If you supplicate him strongly enough with genuine compassion for sentient beings, then you might be able to reveal terma.
:jawdrop:
To become a rain man one must master the ten virtues and sciences.
Kim

Post by Kim »

How does this fit with the traditional view of who can be tertons (GR's direct disciples)?
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Kim wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:57 pm
How does this fit with the traditional view of who can be tertons (GR's direct disciples)?
All termas are revealed through GP's blessings.
Kim

Post by Kim »

Sure. I guess this interpretation by Kunzang Dechen Lingpa (who I assume you referred to) is rather unique, since tertonship usually refers to someone who has been original disciple of GR.
climb-up

Post by climb-up »

So, following up on my OP, the discussion here keeps going back to Tertons (which is fascinating and awesome).

Am I wrong in thinking though that receiving a pure visions is different from receiving a terma and being a terton?
I'm under the impression that these are separate.
Josef

Post by Josef »

climb-up wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:37 pm So, following up on my OP, the discussion here keeps going back to Tertons (which is fascinating and awesome).

Am I wrong in thinking though that receiving a pure visions is different from receiving a terma and being a terton?
I'm under the impression that these are separate.
I think it might be that terma can be revealed bia pure visions but not all pure visions are terma.
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”