What are the most important/widely studied sutras in Tibetan Buddhism?

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Javierfv1212

What are the most important/widely studied sutras in Tibetan Buddhism?

Post by Javierfv1212 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:02 am

As the title states, I'd like know which are the most widely cited, studied and important sutra texts in Tibetan Buddhism. My understanding is that TB study generally focuses on the study of Sastras for the understanding of exoteric Buddhism. And yet there does seem to be at least some sutra study as the references to sutras in Mahayana sastras shows. Does anyone have a good collection or listing of major Mahayana sutras which are studied in the various Tibetan Buddhist schools? I have only found this link to an FPMT site which lists various sutras and dharani:

https://fpmt.org/education/teachings/sutras/

Is this a good indication of the main sutras studied in Tibetan Buddhism? If not, which sutras would be studied or at least referenced and cited by Tibetan monks during their education?
It is quite impossible to find the Buddha anywhere other than in one's own mind.
~Padmasambhava

Amid those who are self-constrained, the Stable One would not posit as categorically true or false
anything seen, heard, or sensed, clung to and considered truth by others.
Since they have already seen this dart to which people cling and adhere,
saying “I know, I see, it is just so,”
the Tathāgatas cling to nothing.
-Kalaka sutta

Malcolm

Re: What are the most important/widely studied sutras in Tibetan Buddhism?

Post by Malcolm » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:15 am

Javierfv1212 wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:02 am
As the title states, I'd like know which are the most widely cited, studied and important sutra texts in Tibetan Buddhism. My understanding is that TB study generally focuses on the study of Sastras for the understanding of exoteric Buddhism. And yet there does seem to be at least some sutra study as the references to sutras in Mahayana sastras shows. Does anyone have a good collection or listing of major Mahayana sutras which are studied in the various Tibetan Buddhist schools? I have only found this link to an FPMT site which lists various sutras and dharani:

Is this a good indication of the main sutras studied in Tibetan Buddhism? If not, which sutras would be studied or at least referenced and cited by Tibetan monks during their education?
Perfection of Wisdom Sutras studies are a speciality of Tibetan scholastics.
Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

[A]nything at all that is well spoken is the word of the Buddha.

-- Ārya-adhyāśaya-sañcodana-nāma-mahāyāna-sūtra

The different sūtras in accord with the emptiness
taught by the Sugata are definitive in meaning;
One can understand that all of those Dharmas in
which a sentient being, individual, or person are taught are provisional in meaning.

-- Samadhirāja Sūtra

Javierfv1212

Post by Javierfv1212 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:16 am

Malcolm wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:15 am
Javierfv1212 wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:02 am

Perfection of Wisdom Sutras studies are a speciality of Tibetan scholastics.
Which version is the most widely studied (apart from the Abhisamayalamkara). 25,000, 8,000?
It is quite impossible to find the Buddha anywhere other than in one's own mind.
~Padmasambhava

Amid those who are self-constrained, the Stable One would not posit as categorically true or false
anything seen, heard, or sensed, clung to and considered truth by others.
Since they have already seen this dart to which people cling and adhere,
saying “I know, I see, it is just so,”
the Tathāgatas cling to nothing.
-Kalaka sutta

Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:55 am

Tibetan buddhist prefer to approach the sutras through commentaries

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”