Ngakpas

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Sofi

Ngakpas

Post by Sofi » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:34 am

Are Ngakpas qualified to give lung/transmission of mantras, sadhanas or other practices? Thanks!

Miroku

Re: Ngakpas

Post by Miroku » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:48 am

Sofi wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:34 am
Are Ngakpas qualified to give lung/transmission of mantras, sadhanas or other practices? Thanks!
Not necessarily.
Child, if you are not hypocritical and out of control, that is conduct.
~ Padampa Sangye

You say such clever things to people, but you do not apply them to yourself.
The faults within you are the ones to be exposed.
~ Padampa Sangye

Sofi

Post by Sofi » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:27 pm

But some can then?

jbaumannmontilla

Post by jbaumannmontilla » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:30 pm

I've always wondered this. What actually qualifies someone to give lungs and empowerment generally?

Mantrik

Post by Mantrik » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:59 pm

jbaumannmontilla wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:30 pm
I've always wondered this. What actually qualifies someone to give lungs and empowerment generally?
I think it is a generally a matter of having received the transmission and having permission of the person giving that transmission to pass it on.

Malcolm wrote something about this recently:

viewtopic.php?f=40&t=24261&p=367143&hil ... ts#p367143
http://www.khyung.com

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)

Grigoris
Global Moderator

Post by Grigoris » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:16 pm

Sofi wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:27 pm
But some can then?
Of course. There are plenty of teachers in Ngakpa lineages that are authorised to give lung, tri and wang. Why do you ask?
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

Josef

Post by Josef » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:34 pm

Sofi wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:34 am
It would be weird to receive a lung of a mantra from someone who was NOT a ngakpa, at least in the sense of the words meaning.

Yes, many lineage masters are ngakpa and they are supreme sources of transmission.
Kye ma!
The river of continuity is marked by impermanence.
Ceaseless flowing of appearance.
Beautiful and repulsive.
The dance of life and death is a display of the vast expanse.
With gratitude the watcher and the watched pass through the barrier of duality.

pemachophel

Post by pemachophel » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:55 pm

maybe sofi needs to clarify what they mean by ngakpa and also why they are asking the question.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ

Sofi

Post by Sofi » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:06 pm

I asked because I have a friend who is a Ngakpa and gave me transmission for the Vajra guru mantra. I wasn’t certain if only Lamas could give transmission or not so that’s why I asked.

Grigoris
Global Moderator

Post by Grigoris » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:14 pm

Sofi wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:06 pm
I asked because I have a friend who is a Ngakpa and gave me transmission for the Vajra guru mantra. I wasn’t certain if only Lamas could give transmission or not so that’s why I asked.
I am not a lama but one of my teachers has given me permission to give lung for "basic" mantra like Tara and Chenrezig, since I live in a remote area without access to qualified lama and some people wish to practice.

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."

Josef

Post by Josef » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:21 pm

Sofi wrote:
This isn’t unusual.
Kye ma!
The river of continuity is marked by impermanence.
Ceaseless flowing of appearance.
Beautiful and repulsive.
The dance of life and death is a display of the vast expanse.
With gratitude the watcher and the watched pass through the barrier of duality.

Tenma

Post by Tenma » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:32 am

Grigoris wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:14 pm
Sofi wrote:
I am not a lama but one of my teachers has given me permission to give lung for "basic" mantra like Tara and Chenrezig, since I live in a remote area without access to qualified lama and some people wish to practice.
Uh oh! I gave a ¨lung¨ of Chenrezig(Om Mani Padme Hum) to one of my friends who wished for it while I gave the Aa ah sha sa ma ha script to a friend as a charm to be taken care of including the Simhamukha written on a script(all these in gold, I didn´t say the Simhamukha mantra nor told how to pronounce) as something to where due to her having a ghost in her house. If this happens, what can I do to fix this?

javier.espinoza.t

Post by javier.espinoza.t » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:04 am

Sofi wrote:
you should do behave and make good use of it then, our deeds have an effect on our transmissions sources.

as far as i know, we need permission to give transmission of secret mantra but i don't know if there is a precise reason for it or is just tradition, etc.

:cheers:

Sofi

Post by Sofi » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:57 am

Thank you very much to everyone! I really appreciate it!

pemachophel

Post by pemachophel » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:05 pm

ime, one's Teacher tells you when it's time for you to share and what to share. imo, till then best to keep your mouth shut.

also, best is to only share those things you have actually practiced. one of my Teachers once told me not to teach any mantra i had not yet said a minimum of 100,000.

as a corollary of this, Tibetan practitioners often go to great lengths, time, and expense to get the lung for a particular practice from a particular person because of that person's power and accomplishment of that practice. iow, not all lungs are equal in their blessing and power.

that being said and as Loppon-la has said, in a pinch you can get lung from anyone who has received that lung.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ

Grigoris
Global Moderator

Post by Grigoris » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:09 pm

Tenma wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:32 am
Uh oh! I gave a ¨lung¨ of Chenrezig(Om Mani Padme Hum) to one of my friends who wished for it while I gave the Aa ah sha sa ma ha script to a friend as a charm to be taken care of including the Simhamukha written on a script(all these in gold, I didn´t say the Simhamukha mantra nor told how to pronounce) as something to where due to her having a ghost in her house. If this happens, what can I do to fix this?
Giving a printed version of protection mantra is not a problem. For the lung you gave I would recommend you practice the mantra like your life depends on it and don't do it again.

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:12 pm

Grigoris wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:09 pm
Tenma wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:32 am
Giving a printed version of protection mantra is not a problem. For the lung you gave I would recommend you practice the mantra like your life depends on it and don't do it again.
There is no real problem with encouraging people to recite things like the six syllable mantra or Arapacana since they are from sūtra and so do not require any special transmission.

However, it is more useful for such beginners to recite the Heart Sūtra.
Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

[A]nything at all that is well spoken is the word of the Buddha.

-- Ārya-adhyāśaya-sañcodana-nāma-mahāyāna-sūtra

The different sūtras in accord with the emptiness
taught by the Sugata are definitive in meaning;
One can understand that all of those Dharmas in
which a sentient being, individual, or person are taught are provisional in meaning.

-- Samadhirāja Sūtra

Grigoris
Global Moderator

Post by Grigoris » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:21 pm

Malcolm wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:12 pm
There is no real problem with encouraging people to recite things like the six syllable mantra or Arapacana since they are from sūtra and so do not require any special transmission.

Indeed, but practicing a (any) mantra like your life depends on it is exactly what is needed in the case of every mantra. You are overlooking the pedagogical aspect of my post in order to focus on procedural issues (irrelevancies in the case of tenma, who cannot focus on one thing for more than a millisecond). ;)

Now instead of focusing on the mantra mentioned, they will start to ask a string of useless questions regarding the Heart Sutra mantra and any chance of them applying themselves properly to a practice will vanish up their cavity once again.

practitioner

Post by practitioner » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:28 pm

Grigoris wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:21 pm
Malcolm wrote:

Indeed, but practicing a (any) mantra like your life depends on it is exactly what is needed in the case of every mantra. You are overlooking the pedagogical aspect of my post in order to focus on procedural issues (irrelevancies in the case of tenma, who cannot focus on one thing for more than a millisecond). ;)

Now instead of focusing on the mantra mentioned, they will start to ask a string of useless questions regarding the Heart Sutra mantra and any chance of them applying themselves properly to a practice will vanish up their cavity once again.
You both gave good advice, no need to argue. :group:
One should do nothing other than benefit sentient beings either directly or indirectly - Shantideva

Grigoris
Global Moderator

Post by Grigoris » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:42 pm

practitioner wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:28 pm
Grigoris wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:21 pm
Malcolm wrote:

You both gave good advice, no need to argue. :group:
I'm not arguing.

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”