Google Rigpa Tibetan Buddhist Calendar online this year?

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Nemo

Google Rigpa Tibetan Buddhist Calendar online this year?

Post by Nemo »

I've gotten very dependent on the Google one.
https://calendar.google.com/calendar/em ... google.com
Anyone know if the one for this year is ready yet?
Grigoris
Former staff member

Re: Google Rigpa Tibetan Buddhist Calendar online this year?

Post by Grigoris »

If you use android there is an application called "Drukpa Calender" which is for free on google store. It is excellent.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Thanks Greg.
Lingpupa

Post by Lingpupa »

Grigoris wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:00 pm If you use android there is an application called "Drukpa Calender" which is for free on google store. It is excellent.
Seconded: charming, useful, but sometimes clunky. I recently dropped it in favour of standard Google calendar into which you can quickly insert the dates you want from e.g. the Shambhala lunar calendar at https://www.shambhala.com/tibetan-lunar-calendar/

Unfortunately I can't get the thing to do what it's supposed to, which is simply to add Shambhala's calendar to my own at one go. I don't know if that's a bug, a mistake on my part, or what. Anyway, it's another way of doing it.

Maybe Rigpa have got too much else to think about, what with the scandal and the outflow of support.
All best wishes

"The profundity of your devotion to your lama is not measured by your ability to turn a blind eye."
Losal Samten

Post by Losal Samten »

There's also the FPMT calendar.

https://fpmt.org/media/resources/dharma-dates/
Lacking mindfulness, we commit every wrong. - Nyoshul Khen Rinpoche
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔
ཨོཾ་ཧ་ནུ་པྷ་ཤ་བྷ་ར་ཧེ་ཡེ་སྭཱ་ཧཱ།།
ཨཱོཾ་མ་ཏྲི་མུ་ཡེ་སལེ་འདུ།།
chimechodra

Post by chimechodra »

If you follow Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche, there's always Alendar: http://alendar.org/

It also has haircutting days as well as a large amount of other astrological advice.
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

chimechodra wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:33 pm If you follow Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche, there's always Alendar: http://alendar.org/

It also has haircutting days as well as a large amount of other astrological advice.
It's a nice app. Hope they add Naga and Sang offering days.
  • How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
Losal

Post by Losal »

Drukpa Kagyu calendar
http://www.drukpa.com/shop/lunar-calendar
Cellphone Android or Iphone
it´s free :rolling:

Nemo wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:36 pm I've gotten very dependent on the Google one.
https://calendar.google.com/calendar/em ... google.com
Anyone know if the one for this year is ready yet?
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

So Alendar is expiring tomorrow. FEB 4 2019. What do we use in the New Year? I quite enjoy tracking such things and leveraging positve days.
chimechodra

Post by chimechodra »

At least on Android, there is already an Alendar Earth Boar app that has the new year data on it.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Lingpupa wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:23 pm
Shambhala lunar calendar at https://www.shambhala.com/tibetan-lunar-calendar/

Unfortunately I can't get the thing to do what it's supposed to, which is simply to add Shambhala's calendar to my own at one go. I don't know if that's a bug, a mistake on my part, or what.
At the bottom right of the calendar click on “ + Google Agenda” and it should bring you to a page that ask if you want to add this specific calendar to your google calendar ;)
Lingpupa

Post by Lingpupa »

Marc wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:54 am
Lingpupa wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:23 pm
Shambhala lunar calendar at https://www.shambhala.com/tibetan-lunar-calendar/

Unfortunately I can't get the thing to do what it's supposed to, which is simply to add Shambhala's calendar to my own at one go. I don't know if that's a bug, a mistake on my part, or what.
At the bottom right of the calendar click on “ + Google Agenda” and it should bring you to a page that ask if you want to add this specific calendar to your google calendar ;)
And after more than a year, having forgotten the problem, and toyed again with the Drukpa calendar, there is the solution! Child's play really, once you know! Thank you Marc.
All best wishes

"The profundity of your devotion to your lama is not measured by your ability to turn a blind eye."
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Drukpa is not my favourite. Alendar is really the best, though perhaps overly detailed and I would prefer more focus on practice days. Amazing for choosing practice days with some extra punch. Shambala has taken up the Google calendar mantle for big days. It is perfect to put on your phone as a reminder. Both together are ideal. Thank you.

Google could not find Alendar because it kept auto correcting to Calendar. Also the app from last year gave no indication there was a replacement. It should probably remind you and give you a discount to renew.
Lingpupa

Post by Lingpupa »

I want to warn some of you guys about this Drukpa calendar.

When I recently (temporarily) installed it, I noticed that (on an Android, at least) it says that it needs to be able to identify my device and to know who I am talking to on the phone. I cannot remember the exact wording, and I am not going to reinstall it to find out.

It is possible to turn those permissions off after installation, and nothing obviously goes wrong.

I cannot, however, conceive of any possible good reason why such a calendar should want this information. I wonder, even, whether Drukpa Publications are themselves aware of or responsible for the requirement for this permission. Perhaps it was inserted by some software company they used.

I have mailed them and asked them for comment. In the meantime my own suggestion would be that anybody who has this calendar either uninstalls it or switches the permission off. The only reasons I can think of for wanting to know with whom users of a Tibetan Buddhist calendar are having telephone calls are nefarious ones.

At the very least, we should all be aware that installing this calendar without turning this permission of is extremely bad digital hygiene.

:spy: :spy: :spy:
All best wishes

nn131313

Post by nn131313 »

Hi everyone,

Out of curiosity, has any bought the 2019 Tibetan calendar from ChNN? I tried a number of times from Shang Shung but the payment all failed.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Lingpupa wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:59 am I want to warn some of you guys about this Drukpa calendar.

When I recently (temporarily) installed it, I noticed that (on an Android, at least) it says that it needs to be able to identify my device and to know who I am talking to on the phone. I cannot remember the exact wording, and I am not going to reinstall it to find out.

It is possible to turn those permissions off after installation, and nothing obviously goes wrong.

I cannot, however, conceive of any possible good reason why such a calendar should want this information. I wonder, even, whether Drukpa Publications are themselves aware of or responsible for the requirement for this permission. Perhaps it was inserted by some software company they used.

I have mailed them and asked them for comment. In the meantime my own suggestion would be that anybody who has this calendar either uninstalls it or switches the permission off. The only reasons I can think of for wanting to know with whom users of a Tibetan Buddhist calendar are having telephone calls are nefarious ones.

At the very least, we should all be aware that installing this calendar without turning this permission of is extremely bad digital hygiene.

:spy: :spy: :spy:
Agreed. We still need a defensive security posture. Chinese intelligence is still quite active. Even this month.
https://www.cyberscoop.com/hackers-used ... ent-exile/

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”