Western oracles

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Varis

Western oracles

Post by Varis » Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:35 pm

Does anyone know of any westerners who were enthroned as oracles in Tibetan Buddhism?

I was able to find that 3 westerners (technically two were Taiwanese, but I'll count them too) were enthroned as Bon oracles, but I haven't be able to find anything about westerners being enthroned as oracles in Tibetan Buddhism.

I'm curious as to what the process of identifying, training, and enthroning an oracle is like, and how stringent it is.

Josef

Re: Western oracles

Post by Josef » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:16 pm

Not that I have heard of.
Oracles seem to be a deeply cultural phenomena and it is unlikely that they will be formally recognized in the western transmission.
Kye ma!
The river of continuity is marked by impermanence.
Ceaseless flowing of appearance.
Beautiful and repulsive.
The dance of life and death is a display of the vast expanse.
With gratitude the watcher and the watched pass through the barrier of duality.

kalden yungdrung

Re: Western oracles

Post by kalden yungdrung » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:25 pm

Varis wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:35 pm
Does anyone know of any westerners who were enthroned as oracles in Tibetan Buddhism?

I was able to find that 3 westerners (technically two were Taiwanese, but I'll count them too) were enthroned as Bon oracles, but I haven't be able to find anything about westerners being enthroned as oracles in Tibetan Buddhism.

I'm curious as to what the process of identifying, training, and enthroning an oracle is like, and how stringent it is.
Tashi delek V,

IN ADDITION:

Below one too:
viewtopic.php?f=78&t=24352
The best meditation is no meditation

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”