Read on the Kayas

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
weitsicht

Read on the Kayas

Post by weitsicht »

I am quite confused about the three (plus one?) kayas and would like to read a bit closer into it.

Understanding seems to be utmost necessary on various levels also due to their interconnectedness to the dzogchen visions, the abhishekas, probably overall the path and the fruition.

I tried the dharmawheel search function but that didn't bring me anywhere. I'd appreciate any advice on a good read. Thanks.

Just to add: the same counts for compassion. A basic term I also don't get applied easily. When should I take action? Or not? In German we have Mitleid (co-suffering) whilst compassion in the dharmic context is translated as Mitgefühl (co-feeling). Does it mean just being empathic, abstaining from any action is the way to go?!
Ho! All the possible appearances and existences of samsara and nirvana have the same source, yet two paths and two results arise as the magical display of awareness and unawareness.
HO NANG SRI KHOR DAE THAMCHE KUN ZHI CHIG LAM NYI DRAE BU NYI RIG DANG MA RIG CHOM THRUL TE
Josef

Re: Read on the Kayas

Post by Josef »

weitsicht wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:22 pm I am quite confused about the three (plus one?) kayas and would like to read a bit closer into it.

Understanding seems to be utmost necessary on various levels also due to their interconnectedness to the dzogchen visions, the abhishekas, probably overall the path and the fruition.

I tried the dharmawheel search function but that didn't bring me anywhere. I'd appreciate any advice on a good read. Thanks.

Just to add: the same counts for compassion. A basic term I also don't get applied easily. When should I take action? Or not? In German we have Mitleid (co-suffering) whilst compassion in the dharmic context is translated as Mitgefühl (co-feeling). Does it mean just being empathic, abstaining from any action is the way to go?!
A Guide to the Words of My Perfect Teacher has a good general explanation of these topics and Longchenpa's tsig don dzod has a very detailed one.
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

weitsicht wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:22 pm I am quite confused about the three (plus one?) kayas and would like to read a bit closer into it.

love is the wish that sentient beings be happy. Compassion is the wish that they be free from suffering. Aspirational bodhicitta is based on compassion; engaged bodhicitta is carrying out the first four perfections.
Kris

Post by Kris »

Josef wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:26 pm

A Guide to the Words of My Perfect Teacher has a good general explanation of these topics and Longchenpa's tsig don dzod has a very detailed one.
Longchenpa is explaining how the three kAyas that appear at the time of the path of training are not the three kAyas of the time of the result.
The profound path of the master.
-- Virūpa, Vajra Lines
Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows »

Check out the book called
The Concept of the Buddha: Its Evolution from Early Buddhism to the Trikāya Theory.
Josef

Post by Josef »

Sennin wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:44 pm

Longchenpa is explaining how the three kAyas that appear at the time of the path of training are not the three kAyas of the time of the result.
He explains both very clearly, which is why I posted the text as resource.
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
weitsicht

Post by weitsicht »

Malcolm wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:51 pm love is the wish that sentient beings be happy. Compassion is the wish that they be free from suffering. Aspirational bodhicitta is based on compassion; engaged bodhicitta is carrying out the first four perfections.
This is about wish only, it doesn't advise on actions.
Ho! All the possible appearances and existences of samsara and nirvana have the same source, yet two paths and two results arise as the magical display of awareness and unawareness.
HO NANG SRI KHOR DAE THAMCHE KUN ZHI CHIG LAM NYI DRAE BU NYI RIG DANG MA RIG CHOM THRUL TE
weitsicht

Post by weitsicht »

Josef wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:56 am
Josef wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:26 pm (...)Longchenpa's tsig don dzod has a very detailed one.
Do you talk about number four in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_Treasuries ?

I can see what I can do. I made bad experience with the national library system lately.

As concerns the "Words of my Perfect Teacher", luckily googlebooks avails a full copy which is cue searchable. I couldn't quite find a thorough explanation of the kayas. Of course they are mentioned all over the book, but not much more. Or do you mean the footnotes, Josef?

Thank you.
Josef

Post by Josef »

weitsicht wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:21 am

Do you talk about number four in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_Treasuries ?

I can see what I can do. I made bad experience with the national library system lately.

As concerns the "Words of my Perfect Teacher", luckily googlebooks avails a full copy which is cue searchable. I couldn't quite find a thorough explanation of the kayas. Of course they are mentioned all over the book, but not much more. Or do you mean the footnotes, Josef?

Thank you.
It's in A Guide to the Words of My Perfect Teacher by Khenpo Ngakchung.
Kris

Post by Kris »

Agreed. Tsig don dzod [ all seven treasuries] is of the category of how panditas explain; so it's useful to unpack it with help of the Theg mchog mdzod. I was just expressing how that interpretation is a unique feature of Dzogchen.
The profound path of the master.
-- Virūpa, Vajra Lines
Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows »

The Sarvastivadins conceptualized the Buddha with the two-body theory, arguing that the Buddha possessed a form body (rupakaya) and a truth body (dharmakāya). This theory held that while the physical body of the Buddha did possess the major and minor marks, it was still impure. The dharmakāya of the Buddha on the other hand was endowed with 18 unshared attributes and could therefore serve as a proper object of refuge
Venerable Guan Xing writes that “the concept of dharmakāya was fundamentally changed and transformed in several different ways in Mahayana sutras and treaties.” Paul Williams writes that this development had connections with a shift from early stupa cults to the book cults. The worship of stupas and relics is a form of worshiping the physical body (rupakaya), whereas the Mahayana often manifested itself in book cults and could view themselves as worshiping the dharma-body.
Later traditions developed the two body theory into a three body theory. Prof. P.G. Yogi, writes that it was the Yogacara School which divided the rupakaya into its gross (nirmāṇakāya) and subtle (sambhogakāya) forms. And it in onto the Buddha’s sambhogakāya that the 32 physical marks are manifest.

As an extension of the rupakaya, the sambhogakāya, reward or enjoyment body, is a physical body, though not made up of gross material. The sambhogakāya given as reward body, is mentioned in Garland Sutra and arises from the Buddha having accumulated so much merit through his bodhisattva practices. The supernatural powers of the Buddha are attributed to the sambhogakāya.
Xing, Guang. 2005. The concept of the Buddha: its evolution from early Buddhism to the trikāya theory. London: RoutledgeCurzon.

Williams, Paul. 1989. Mahayana Buddhism: The Doctrinal Foundations. London & New York: Routledge

Griffiths, Paul J. 1994. On being Buddha: the classical doctrine of Buddhahood. Albany, N.Y.: State University of New York Press.

Yogi, P.G. 2012. The Doctrine of Kaya. http://himalaya.socanth.cam.ac.uk/colle ... -03_02.pdf

Nagao, Gajin, and Leslie S. Kawamura. 1991. Mādhyamika and Yogācāra: a study of Mahāyāna philosophies : collected papers of G.M. Nagao. Albany: State University of New York Press.
weitsicht

Post by weitsicht »

weitsicht wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:19 am
Malcolm wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:51 pm love is the wish that sentient beings be happy. Compassion is the wish that they be free from suffering. Aspirational bodhicitta is based on compassion; engaged bodhicitta is carrying out the first four perfections.
so Malcolm, compassion is absent of any guidance as concerns action (speech or body)?
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

weitsicht wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:59 pm
so Malcolm, compassion is absent of any guidance as concerns action (speech or body)?
Yes, without wisdom, compassion in general is blind.
WeiHan

Post by WeiHan »

weitsicht wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:59 pm
Correct. Compassion is a mind state. The wish for all beings to be free from suffering. Aspirational bodhicitta is also just a mind state. Only in action bodhicitta does one engage in activities (speech and body) to free all beings from Samsara.

There are proper methods to develop this sequentially called the 7 points cause/effect mind training. As a basis, one needs to recognise that all beings were many times in past lives been our mother and have been very kind to us etc...

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”