A Dangerous Fallacy.

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Simon E.

A Dangerous Fallacy.

Post by Simon E. »

After a period of relative stability on this forum, an old and misleading distortion of Buddhdharma seems to have resurfaced, to whit, nihilistic solipsism.
The notion that only mind..indeed only my mind, exists and is somehow coterminous with MInd, and that Buddhist realisation consists of seeing this to be the case.
This is an idea that has its genesis in various Vedantic teachings. It is not and has never been central to Buddhadharma.
It is an error that has often taken refuge in modern 'zen' flavoured sites where it lurks like the Legionnaires Virus lurks in the heating ducts in public buildings.
Note well, this is not a critique of authentic Zen Buddhism which has a long and respected pedigree, but rather the zen flavoured populist fare offered often by those looking to rationalise their own psychological alienation.
Nihilistic solipsism has never formed any part of the teaching of the Vajrayana, and imo opinion it is incumbent on western students, in particular (because it as an idea it is not found to any degree in traditional Vajrayana culture) to see that it never does.
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
Josef

Re: A Dangerous Fallacy.

Post by Josef »

Simon E. wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:46 pm After a period of relative stability on this forum, an old and misleading distortion of Buddhdharma seems to have resurfaced, to whit, nihilistic solipsism.
The notion that only mind..indeed only my mind, exists and is somehow coterminous with MInd, and that Buddhist realisation consists of seeing this to be the case.
This is an idea that has its genesis in various Vedantic teachings. It is not and has never been central to Buddhadharma.
It is an error that has often taken refuge in modern 'zen' flavoured sites where it lurks like the Legionnaires Virus lurks in the heating ducts in public buildings.
Note well, this is not a critique of authentic Zen Buddhism which has a long and respected pedigree, but rather the zen flavoured populist fare offered often by those looking to rationalise their own psychological alienation.
Nihilistic solipsism has never formed any part of the teaching of the Vajrayana, and imo opinion it is incumbent on western students, in particular (because it as an idea it is not found to any degree in traditional Vajrayana culture) to see that it never does.
Perhaps it should be a critique of zen, rather than deflected onto "western" Vajrayana students.
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

I would not have mentioned it at all if I had not seen such sentiments in the mouths of purported Vajrayana students.

krodha

Post by krodha »

Simon E. wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:13 pm I would not have mentioned it at all if I had not seen such sentiments in the mouths of purported Vajrayana students.
Vajrayāna does refer to false-aspectarian Yogācāra view for its position on how appearances manifest and are mistakenly apprehended as substantial entities. Hence consciousness in some modality of itself is fundamental.

Solipsism does not work because (i) mind is subject to the same scrutiny as everything else, and (ii) the buddhadharma allows for the conventional diversity of mindstreams.

At the end of the day mind is fundamental, and matter is a byproduct of incorrectly cognizing mind's own display... so while solipsism is an incorrect view, it is only incorrect for specific reasons.
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

'Incorrect' being the operative word.

Thomas Amundsen

Post by Thomas Amundsen »

krodha wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:58 pm
Simon E. wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:13 pm I would not have mentioned it at all if I had not seen such sentiments in the mouths of purported Vajrayana students.
Vajrayāna does refer to false-aspectarian Yogācāra view for its position on how appearances manifest and are mistakenly apprehended as substantial entities. Hence consciousness in some modality of itself is fundamental.

Solipsism does not work because (i) mind is subject to the same scrutiny as everything else, and (ii) the buddhadharma allows for the conventional diversity of mindstreams.

At the end of the day mind is fundamental, and matter is a byproduct of incorrectly cognizing mind's own display... so while solipsism is an incorrect view, it is only incorrect for specific reasons.
:good:
SunWuKong

Post by SunWuKong »

"After a period of relative stability on this forum, an old and misleading distortion of Buddhdharma seems to have resurfaced, to whit, nihilistic solipsism."

Simon, Where?

"It is an error that has often taken refuge in modern 'zen' flavoured sites where it lurks like the Legionnaires Virus lurks in the heating ducts in public buildings."

Again, where?

"Note well, this is not a critique of authentic Zen Buddhism which has a long and respected pedigree, but rather the zen flavoured populist fare offered often by those looking to rationalise their own psychological alienation."

Who?

There is no dialog or discussion possible in hearsay claims. Try to be clear and precise.
"We are magical animals that roam" ~ Roam
SunWuKong

Post by SunWuKong »

At the end of the day mind is fundamental, and matter is a byproduct of incorrectly cognizing mind's own display...
really? where's the proof of that?
明安 Myoan
Former staff member

Post by 明安 Myoan »

SunWuKong wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:09 am
At the end of the day mind is fundamental, and matter is a byproduct of incorrectly cognizing mind's own display...
Dependent origination.
Namu Amida Butsu
krodha

Post by krodha »

The only way to prove it to oneself is to awaken and recognize it.
SunWuKong

Post by SunWuKong »

krodha wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:27 am
That's the cart before the horse. The only way to prove you are awakened is to show it.
SunWuKong

Post by SunWuKong »

SunWuKong wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:33 am

That's the cart before the horse. The only way to prove you are awakened is to show it.
We can go on like this forever, but really Simon needs to log back on and define his terms. Personally I think the appearance of the "Dangerous Fallacy" on these boards might be a fiction, but if it's not, it's unfair to talk about people behind their backs. Name the names.
krodha

Post by krodha »

SunWuKong wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:33 am

If I said chocolate is sweet, and you inquired as to what the proof of that sweetness is, I would likewise urge you to taste it for yourself, directly and experientially, then no further proof is needed. You would then know it first hand and even if someone tried to prove otherwise, your confidence would be unassailable.
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

SunWuKong wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:06 am "After a period of relative stability on this forum, an old and misleading distortion of Buddhdharma seems to have resurfaced, to whit, nihilistic solipsism."

Simon, Where?

"It is an error that has often taken refuge in modern 'zen' flavoured sites where it lurks like the Legionnaires Virus lurks in the heating ducts in public buildings."

Again, where?

"Note well, this is not a critique of authentic Zen Buddhism which has a long and respected pedigree, but rather the zen flavoured populist fare offered often by those looking to rationalise their own psychological alienation."

Who?

There is no dialog or discussion possible in hearsay claims. Try to be clear and precise.
Take it or leave it.
It wasnt a scientific analysis. If it doesn't have resonance for you, that's fine by me. :namaste:

SunWuKong

Post by SunWuKong »

Again, hearsay evidence has no validity. Case dismissed.
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

Fine. We can all go home..at least from this thread.
But before putting my hat and coat on I would just observe that on another forum Meido pointed out that 1) I did not criticise real Zen, quite the reverse and 2) That I said the phenomenon was not confined to Zen and was found in the Vajrayana too.

And frankly ,to deny the fact is naif.

Now..wheres the exit?

Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

I have PMd you SunWuKong. :namaste:

ItsRaining

Post by ItsRaining »

Simon E. wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:46 pm After a period of relative stability on this forum, an old and misleading distortion of Buddhdharma seems to have resurfaced, to whit, nihilistic solipsism.
It was just one person misreading the phrase One Mind....
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

No it wasn't...

But itemising every statement from every person who made it is not helpful I would suggest.
Either the phenomenon i.e. mistaking solipsistic nihilism for Buddhadharma exists or it doesn't.
If it doesn't, if it is a figment of my imagination, then there is no need to waste any more time on it, is there?
I have flagged up my concern.

Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

I think that's about enough meta-discussion for another day.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”