Translators

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
kalden yungdrung

Translators

Post by kalden yungdrung » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:46 pm

Tashi delek,

Want to bring under your attention, Erick Tsiknopoulos, a translator.

Seems that Erick Tsiknopoulos, can translate Tibetan to English very well

Here are some of his translations:
https://buddha-nature.com/lists-of-tran ... cal-order/

- What do you think about Erick Tsiknopoulos and his translations?
- Can he be accepted as a professional translator?
- Does somebody of you met him maybe ?
The best meditation is no meditation

tingdzin

Re: Translators

Post by tingdzin » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:59 am

I've not heard of him, but there are so many more or less capable translators around now, that that doesn't mean anything. The things he has listed on his page seem to be pretty innocuous, so even if he got something a little wrong, it would not be a terrible thing. He doesn't post the Tibetan with his translation, so there's no easy way to check the quality. For sadhanas or esoteric teachings, though, I'd be a little careful about accepting anybody's work unchecked.

kalden yungdrung

Post by kalden yungdrung » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:22 pm

tingdzin wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:59 am
I've not heard of him, but there are so many more or less capable translators around now, that that doesn't mean anything. The things he has listed on his page seem to be pretty innocuous, so even if he got something a little wrong, it would not be a terrible thing. He doesn't post the Tibetan with his translation, so there's no easy way to check the quality. For sadhanas or esoteric teachings, though, I'd be a little careful about accepting anybody's work unchecked.
Tashi delek T,

Thanks for your reply. :anjali:

In the world of translators , there is a lot of competition about who is bad and who is ok.
Everybody also here wants a piece of the pie (commercial seen).
Therefore it is difficult to cheque who is a good translator and maybe also on top of that a good /realised Dharma practitioner.

Personal i go for a translator who is both, a good translator and a realised Dharma practitioner, but that is not always important / counting in the western world as necessary regarding business with knowledge.

We know many academics who claim their translations as authoritative, but you are right when you tell:" I'd be a little careful about accepting anybody's work unchecked".

Then i see the Tibetan is missing, but that is mostly missing because the majority cannot read and speak Tibetan, but for others who can, it would be useful to read the Tibetan/Sanskrit / Pali source text.

Who controls them, or makes the final control ?

Lingpupa

Post by Lingpupa » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:24 pm

I PMd you Kalden
All the best
Alex Wilding
Stupa in the Snow blog at http://chagchen.org/

kalden yungdrung

Post by kalden yungdrung » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:59 pm

Lingpupa wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:24 pm
I PMd you Kalden
:good:

tingdzin

Post by tingdzin » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:36 am

kalden yungdrung wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:22 pm
Who controls them, or makes the final control ?
No such thing as quality control on translators yet, probably won't be soon if ever.

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”