Dorje Losang

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
clyde

Dorje Losang

Post by clyde » Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:35 am

Is anyone familiar with Dorje Losang and the book, “True Stories about a Holy Monk”, and if so, your thoughts?
“Enlightenment means to see what harm you are involved in and to renounce it.” David Brazier, The New Buddhism

sukhamanveti

Re: Dorje Losang

Post by sukhamanveti » Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:43 am

Dorje Losang, the putative author, if he existed, was apparently a disciple of a gentleman in San Francisco, California, who calls himself "H.H. Dorje Chang Buddha III Wan Ko Yeshe Norbu," whose organization (the "International Buddhism Sangha Association") has declared him "the Buddhist equivalent of the pope," claiming that 20 Buddhist leaders have "determined" and proclaimed he is "the holiest and most honored leader of Buddhism," even though no head of any authentic Buddhist lineage seems to have heard of him before and there is no such thing as a pope of Buddhism. His organization also calls him "Holiest Tathagata," "the supreme leader of Esoteric Buddhism," and says that he is "the holiest and purest being of all," praised by various governments, as well as an unsurpassed artist, whose paintings, carvings, and sculptures are available to purchase at auction. (As an artist, he goes by the name "the great artist master Wan Ko Yee.") A stream of announcements from his org declare that disciples of his are constantly becoming "enlightened" or "liberated" under his guidance. If I remember correctly, his organization "revealed" at one point that he is not only "a buddha," but the return of Shakyamuni Buddha himself, but I could be mistaken. In any case, his followers contend that no spiritual leader is his equal. All other leaders, it is implied, look to him, so you don't have to listen to anyone else, apparently. However, I noticed that the book apparently authored by Dorje Losang does contain some actual Buddhist concepts.

That is the extent of my knowledge. I hope it is helpful.
namo bhagavate śākyamunaye tathāgatāyārhate samyaksaṁbuddhāya | namaḥ sarvabuddhabodhisattvebhyaḥ ||

"Bodhisattva-mahāsattvas love all beings in the world equally, as if each were their only child..." Buddhāvataṃsakamahāvaipulya Sūtra

clyde

Post by clyde » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:21 pm

Thank you. It all looked a bit sketchy, but as you say the book “does contain some actual Buddhist concepts.”
“Enlightenment means to see what harm you are involved in and to renounce it.” David Brazier, The New Buddhism

Norwegian

Post by Norwegian » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:25 pm

clyde wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:21 pm
Thank you. It all looked a bit sketchy, but as you say the book “does contain some actual Buddhist concepts.”
If you look hard enough and use your imagination, you'll find "Buddhist concepts" in the Twilight series as well as Fifty Shades of Grey too, but I wouldn't really read those books.

That aforementioned book and everything else that comes from that cult is not worthy of being on anybody's shelf. If you want to read fiction, you can find better elsewhere. And likewise if you want to read actual Buddhist teachings, that too you can find elsewhere.

clyde

Post by clyde » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:44 pm

Yes, with a little imagination Buddhist concepts can be found most anywhere.

I came upon the book accidentally and since I’m not particularly familiar with the Tibetan tradition and it looked questionable, I thought to ask about it here. Nothing more.

Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:56 am

Their museum in Covina received the "Honorable 5-star Top Rating from YELP"!
http://dharma-hhdorjechangbuddhaiii.org ... from-yelp/

Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:00 am

Norwegian wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:25 pm
If you want to read fiction, you can find better elsewhere.
Are you calling this fiction?
http://holyvajrasana.org/articles/rever ... n-to-youth

sukhamanveti

Post by sukhamanveti » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:02 am

Fortyeightvows wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:00 am
Norwegian wrote:
From the same website:

"Revered leaders from all major sects of Buddhism worldwide, using the strict rules of Buddhism, have formally determined and affirmed through personal witness and written proclamation that H.H. Master Yee is the holiest and most honored leader of Buddhism and the true incarnation of Dorje Chang Buddha.

"What does this mean to the almost 6 million Buddhists in the U.S.? It means that among them resides the highest Dharma Teacher and the way to their own spiritual growth."

So "leaders from all major sects of Buddhism worldwide" have proclaimed that he is the "leader of Buddhism" and have declared him to be Vajradhara/Dorje Chang. How unfortunate that this written proclamation is so difficult to find and that the heads of the various lineages do not seem to remember this.

http://holyvajrasana.org/news/unique-ho ... f-buddhism (Articles written by his organization have a tendency to be disappear, so I'm not sure how long these claims will remain at this link, but the group does use multiple websites.)
namo bhagavate śākyamunaye tathāgatāyārhate samyaksaṁbuddhāya | namaḥ sarvabuddhabodhisattvebhyaḥ ||

"Bodhisattva-mahāsattvas love all beings in the world equally, as if each were their only child..." Buddhāvataṃsakamahāvaipulya Sūtra

Punya

Post by Punya » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:08 pm

Deleted
May the stupid meditators be awakened from the sleep of ignorance;
May the attacks of the logicians with their sophistries be vanquished.

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche in The Rain of Wisdom

Grigoris
Global Moderator

Post by Grigoris » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:02 am

Fortyeightvows wrote:
Norwegian wrote:
screwball.jpg
screwball.jpg (73.52 KiB) Viewed 271 times
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:27 am

Grigoris wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:02 am
Fortyeightvows wrote:
Norwegian wrote:
screwball.jpg
:rolling: :woohoo:

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”