Do Tibetans know about memory palaces?

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Motova

Post by Motova » Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:51 pm

To become a rain man one must master the ten virtues and sciences.

MiphamFan

Re: Do Tibetans know about memory palaces?

Post by MiphamFan » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:03 am

As far as I know, no.

The Tibetan memory culture is different from the mediaeval/Renaissance European one which did use the memory techniques intensively. The stuff that Tibetans memorize is mostly all in verse, which facilitates memorization. European scholarly writing largely is in prose.

I used memory techniques before but I realized that the kind of memory it creates is not exactly a "living" form of memory. For example, you can memorize word lists in a foreign language but you don't really learn the whole context that the words are used in.

Ultimately I didn't find it particularly useful for learning most things IRL except to memorize things I had to and didn't particularly care about in school. I asked a former memory champion who works as an engineer about it and he said the same thing -- for IRL applicable knowledge it is best to practise it.

There are people who claim that the art of memory dates back to Greek times but from what I have studied of the Greek and Roman sources, I am not sure they really used it in the same way the mediaevals did. At some basic level yeah they probably memorized lists of stuff, but at the advanced level they used it for "invention" as part of rhetoric, to find topics to talk about. This seems very different from even Giordano Bruno.

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”