The Four Kinds of Aid

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Grigoris
Global Moderator

The Four Kinds of Aid

Post by Grigoris » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:18 pm

In the Abhidharmakosa by Vasubandhu he mentions The Four Kinds of Aid (Cturbhihsamgrahavastubhih):

1. Dana (generosity)
2. Peyyavajja (agreeable speech)
3. Atthacariya (altruistic service)
4. Samanattata (sameness)

What does "sameness" entail?
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

Kunga Lhadzom

Re: The Four Kinds of Aid

Post by Kunga Lhadzom » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:32 pm

Grigoris wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:18 pm
I'm not going to cheat and look it up first....my first thought was to not have "partiality"....everyone should be looked upon as the same , none better or worse than another....everyone is equal.

:shrug:
The Universe flowing through my veins...stars falling from my eyes......rocks rolling in my head...lemon juice dripping down my chin....

https://drunklotus.blog

dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:57 pm

You appear to be thinking of this:
https://books.google.com/books?id=Rr0qD ... +of+aid%22

That is from (a translation of) a translation of the Abhidharmasamuccaya by Walpola Rahula and the terms he gives there are in Pali, which I guess is not surprising since he was a Theravadin. In Sanskrit the term you are asking about is 'samānārthatā'. The Princeton Dictionary of Buddhism defines it as follows:
In Sanskrit, “consistency”; viz., acting in accordance with one’s own teachings, or demonstrating consistency between one’s words and deeds.

Here is the entry for 'saṃgrahavastu':
In Sanskrit, translated variously as “grounds for assembling,” “means of conversion,” or “articles of sympathy”; in the Mahayana sutras, these are four methods by which bodhisattvas attract and retain students. The four are: (1) generosity (DĀNA), (2) kind words (priyavādita), (3) helpfulness, viz., teaching others to fulfill their aims (arthacaryā), and (4) acting in accordance with one’s own teachings, viz., consistency between words and deeds, or perhaps even the “common good” (SAMĀNĀRTHATĀ). There is an extensive description of these four qualities in the sixteenth chapter of the MAHĀYĀNASŪTRĀLAṂKĀRA , an important Mahāyāna ŚĀSTRA said to have been presented to ASAṄGA by the bodhisattva MAITREYA in the TUṢITA heaven (see also MAITREYANĀTHA ).
Everything is divided
Nothing is complete
Everything looks impressive
Do not be deceived - David Byrne

javier.espinoza.t

Post by javier.espinoza.t » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:00 am

Kunga Lhadzom wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:32 pm
Grigoris wrote:
I'm not going to cheat and look it up first....my first thought was to not have "partiality"....everyone should be looked upon as the same , none better or worse than another....everyone is equal.

i got more or less the same: equanimity.

PeterC

Post by PeterC » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:25 am

javier.espinoza.t wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:00 am
Kunga Lhadzom wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:32 pm
Grigoris wrote:

i got more or less the same: equanimity.
That word is usually used to translate upekkha/upeksa

Grigoris
Global Moderator

Post by Grigoris » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:52 am

dzogchungpa wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:57 pm
You appear to be thinking of this:
https://books.google.com/books?id=Rr0qD ... +of+aid%22

That is from (a translation of) a translation of the Abhidharmasamuccaya by Walpola Rahula and the terms he gives there are in Pali, which I guess is not surprising since he was a Theravadin. In Sanskrit the term you are asking about is 'samānārthatā'. The Princeton Dictionary of Buddhism defines it as follows:
In Sanskrit, “consistency”; viz., acting in accordance with one’s own teachings, or demonstrating consistency between one’s words and deeds.

Here is the entry for 'saṃgrahavastu':
In Sanskrit, translated variously as “grounds for assembling,” “means of conversion,” or “articles of sympathy”; in the Mahayana sutras, these are four methods by which bodhisattvas attract and retain students. The four are: (1) generosity (DĀNA), (2) kind words (priyavādita), (3) helpfulness, viz., teaching others to fulfill their aims (arthacaryā), and (4) acting in accordance with one’s own teachings, viz., consistency between words and deeds, or perhaps even the “common good” (SAMĀNĀRTHATĀ). There is an extensive description of these four qualities in the sixteenth chapter of the MAHĀYĀNASŪTRĀLAṂKĀRA , an important Mahāyāna ŚĀSTRA said to have been presented to ASAṄGA by the bodhisattva MAITREYA in the TUṢITA heaven (see also MAITREYANĀTHA ).
Thank you! :bow:
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

weitsicht

Post by weitsicht » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:03 am

dzogchungpa wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:57 pm
acting in accordance with one’s own teachings,
For the dzogchen view that's a hell of a job.

Interesting though to see that it is some Kind of Aid in itself already.
Ho! All the possible appearances and existences of samsara and nirvana have the same source, yet two paths and two results arise as the magical display of awareness and unawareness.
HO NANG SRI KHOR DAE THAMCHE KUN ZHI CHIG LAM NYI DRAE BU NYI RIG DANG MA RIG CHOM THRUL TE