Nechung Kuten Recognizes Yeye Omileye

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Mantrik
Former staff member

Re: Nechung Kuten Recognizes Yeye Omileye

Post by Mantrik »

dzogchungpa wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:15 pm
Kunga Lhadzom wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:52 pm

No, I'm pretty sure it was the way I remember it.
No. I'm sure it was Tolkein's 'Ork like an Egyptian'.
Either way she was drop dead gorgeous ...... and if she started a cult I may just.....
http://www.khyung.com ཁྲོཾ

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)
A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha

Post by A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha »

dzogchungpa wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:07 pm
DiamondMeru wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:26 pmI am an Egyptian Wiccan ...

This made me think of that Bangles song, I think it was called something like "Wicc like an Egyptian".
dzogchungpa wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:15 pm No, I'm pretty sure it was the way I remember it.

http://www.song-list.net/thebangles/songs

:Walk Like An Egyptian: is the only thing close to what you said : " "Wicc like an Egyptian"

you are so full of it :smile:
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

The Cicada wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:19 pmI'm not trying to make a name as a hijacker, so pardon this slight deviation from the thread's current course, but what about Greek deities? They were already integrated (we might even say "converted") in ancient Buddhist Gandhara.

No hijacking here, just curious. Honest.
And Ancient Greek religion was heavily influenced by Ancient Egyptian religion, especially the various Ancient Greek Mystery sects/cults.

I believe that it is possible for deities to be converted to Buddhism, but it takes a realised being to do the job.

One time I asked my teacher about a local protector and how it would be possible to garner favor with them so that they could help the Dharma flourish here. Problem was that the locals sacrifice a bull to the protector (very Christian, right?), so how would I go about satisfying them without going against Buddhist practice? My teacher recommended a red torma shaped like a bulls head.

So possibilities abound when it comes to non-Buddhist deities, but is one in the position to convert?

Maybe, in this particular case, the Nechung Oracle saw this possibility?
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

Mantrik wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:20 pmNo. I'm sure it was Tolkein's 'Ork like an Egyptian'.

Now you're just being ridorculous.

Kunga Lhadzom wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:48 pmhttp://www.song-list.net/thebangles/songs

:Walk Like An Egyptian: is the only thing close to what you said : " "Wicc like an Egyptian"

you are so full of it :smile:

Well, maybe you've got a point there.
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

Grigoris wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:11 pm
The Cicada wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:19 pmI'm not trying to make a name as a hijacker, so pardon this slight deviation from the thread's current course, but what about Greek deities? They were already integrated (we might even say "converted") in ancient Buddhist Gandhara.

No hijacking here, just curious. Honest.
And Ancient Greek religion was heavily influenced by Ancient Egyptian religion, especially the various Ancient Greek Mystery sects/cults.

I believe that it is possible for deities to be converted to Buddhism, but it takes a realised being to do the job.

One time I asked my teacher about a local protector and how it would be possible to garner favor with them so that they could help the Dharma flourish here. Problem was that the locals sacrifice a bull to the protector (very Christian, right?), so how would I go about satisfying them without going against Buddhist practice? My teacher recommended a red torma shaped like a bulls head.

So possibilities abound when it comes to non-Buddhist deities, but is one in the position to convert?

Maybe, in this particular case, the Nechung Oracle saw this possibility?

:good:
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

Grigoris wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:11 pm

Isn't it just a matter of Buddhas manifesting in the form most suitable for the person, time and place?
There is no conversion necessary.
http://www.khyung.com ཁྲོཾ

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Mantrik wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:36 pmIsn't it just a matter of Buddhas manifesting in the form most suitable for the person, time and place?
There is no conversion necessary.
I am not sure this is the case with earthly deities since they are just (ignorant) sentient beings like you and me.

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha

Grigoris wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:11 pm Maybe, in this particular case, the Nechung Oracle saw this possibility?
Exactly....

Do you think she would of had to take refuge as a prerequisite, to be Crowned as a emanation of Mamaki ?
Then it may have planted the seed in her heart to renounce all worldly deities...maybe it takes a little time for a full conversion...and that there is some overlapping now of who she was..... (still identifying with her other religion).
Norwegian

Post by Norwegian »

Aryjna

Post by Aryjna »

Kunga Lhadzom wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:03 pm
Grigoris wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:11 pm Maybe, in this particular case, the Nechung Oracle saw this possibility?
Exactly....

Do you think she would of had to take refuge as a prerequisite, to be Crowned as a emanation of Mamaki ?
Then it may have planted the seed in her heart to renounce all worldly deities...maybe it takes a little time for a full conversion...and that there is some overlapping now of who she was..... (still identifying with her other religion).
Being crowned is completely irrelevant, one either is an emanation or not.

I am starting to feel a light nausea every time I see the name 'Mamaki' mentioned in association to that woman :D
A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha

Norwegian wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:15 pm Image

Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Right, I think that is about enough discussion on this issue.

If anybody has anything intelligent to add to the discussion please message me.

Be warned: Any attempt to engage in meta-discussion about this topic elsewhere on the forum, will be dealt with swiftly and with extreme prejudice.

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”