The bardo and akanistha

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
jhanapeacock

The bardo and akanistha

Post by jhanapeacock »

Someone said that the Bardo is just another name for akanistha? is this true? i always thought that the Bardo was the transmigrassion realm and that akanistha was another different heavenly realm.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Re: The bardo and akanistha

Post by Grigoris »

jhanapeacock wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:44 am Someone said that the Bardo is just another name for akanistha? is this true? i always thought that the Bardo was the transmigrassion realm and that akanistha was another different heavenly realm.
Your understanding is largely correct.

In reality there is not one bardo state but four or six states.

Akanishta is a Pure Land, but can be seen as a intermediate state, since one is not immediately liberated upon arrival there, but engages in practice to achieve enlightenment.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

jhanapeacock wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:44 am Someone said that the Bardo is just another name for akanistha? is this true? i always thought that the Bardo was the transmigrassion realm and that akanistha was another different heavenly realm.
No, this is not even remotely true.

However, the bardo is not a "transgression realm." It is just the space between lives.

Also, the doctrine around Akaniṣṭha is complicated since it is understood differently in sūtra, tantra, and the Great Perfection.

Greg: the four or six bardos is a doctrine exclusive to Dzogchen Man ngag sde (that is, it is not found in sems sde or klong sde, or anu or mahāyoga). In the new schools, there is only one bardo.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Malcolm wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:47 pmGreg: the four or six bardos is a doctrine exclusive to Dzogchen Man ngag sde (that is, it is not found in sems sde or klong sde, or anu or mahāyoga). In the new schools, there is only one bardo.
Fair enough. The OP did not post in a specific tradition's sub-forum so...

I was also referring to the use of the term bardo in it's literal sense, which may have been the context in which it was used in reference to Akanishta.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
jhanapeacock

Post by jhanapeacock »

Thanks, that answer my question. :anjali: :thumbsup:
chimechodra

Post by chimechodra »

Malcolm wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:47 pm Also, the doctrine around Akaniṣṭha is complicated since it is understood differently in sūtra, tantra, and the Great Perfection.
Thank you for the illuminating knowledge as always, Malcolm. Could you expand on how Akaniṣṭha is understood in the Great Perfection? Thank you!
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

chimechodra wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:00 am
Malcolm wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:47 pm Also, the doctrine around Akaniṣṭha is complicated since it is understood differently in sūtra, tantra, and the Great Perfection.
Thank you for the illuminating knowledge as always, Malcolm. Could you expand on how Akaniṣṭha is understood in the Great Perfection? Thank you!
the dharmadhātu.
Kris

Post by Kris »

Malcolm wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:47 pm

However, the bardo is not a "transgression realm." It is just the space between lives.

Also, the doctrine around Akaniṣṭha is complicated since it is understood differently in sūtra, tantra, and the Great Perfection.

Greg: the four or six bardos is a doctrine exclusive to Dzogchen Man ngag sde (that is, it is not found in sems sde or klong sde, or anu or mahāyoga). In the new schools, there is only one bardo.
Interesting. Is there any correlation between the one bardo of the new schools, and any of the bardos in Man ngag sde?
The profound path of the master.
-- Virūpa, Vajra Lines
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Sennin wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:37 pm

Interesting. Is there any correlation between the one bardo of the new schools, and any of the bardos in Man ngag sde?
Yes, bardo of time of death has equivalent as the moment of death, there is no explicit equivalent for bardo of dharmatā, but in general, the bardo is the srid pa'i bardo.
Kris

Post by Kris »

Malcolm wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:59 pm
Sennin wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:37 pm

Yes, bardo of time of death has equivalent as the moment of death, there is no explicit equivalent for bardo of dharmatā, but in general, the bardo is the srid pa'i bardo.
Thanks!
The profound path of the master.
-- Virūpa, Vajra Lines

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”