"Ripening" empowerment = ?

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Palzang Jangchub

"Ripening" empowerment = ?

Post by Palzang Jangchub »

What precisely is being referred to when an initiation is listed as a "ripening" empowerment?

Would this be rendered back into Sanskrit properly as vipāka abhiśeka? The term in Tibetan seems to be smin byed kyi dbang (see attachment ;) ).

Screenshot_20180510-005447.jpg
Screenshot_20180510-005447.jpg (242.25 KiB) Viewed 2019 times

By that definition, aren't all initiations considered ripening empowerments, or am i missing something? Are there empowerments that don't ripen as such, but perform some other function?

Incidentally, doesn't this mean that Mindrolling monastery is literally "the Island of Ripening and Liberating" or "the Island of Maturation and Liberation"?

"The Sutras, Tantras, and Philosophical Scriptures are great in number. However life is short, and intelligence is limited, so it's hard to cover them completely. You may know a lot, but if you don't put it into practice, it's like dying of thirst on the shore of a great lake. Likewise, a common corpse is found in the bed of a great scholar." ~ Karma Chagme

དྲིན་ཆེན་རྩ་བའི་བླ་མ་སྐྱབས་རྗེ་མགར་ཆེན་ཁྲི་སྤྲུལ་རིན་པོ་ཆེ་ཁྱེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ།།
རྗེ་བཙུན་བླ་མ་མཁས་གྲུབ་ཀརྨ་ཆགས་མེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ། ཀརྨ་པ་མཁྱེན་ནོཿ
ratna

Re: "Ripening" empowerment = ?

Post by ratna »

Palzang Jangchub wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 6:15 am What precisely is being referred to when an initiation is listed as a "ripening" empowerment?
A ripening empowerment is just the complete four empowerments of an abhiṣeka, which mature one's continuum and confer the samaya that protect that maturation. Simpler initiatory rites like permission-rites (rjes gnang, anujñā) or blessing (byin rlabs, adhiṣṭhāna) are not ripening empowerments.
Incidentally, doesn't this mean that Mindrolling monastery is literally "the Island of Ripening and Liberating" or "the Island of Maturation and Liberation"?
Yes, "the Island of ripening [empowerments] and libertating [instructions]".

R
heart

Post by heart »

Palzang Jangchub wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 6:15 am What precisely is being referred to when an initiation is listed as a "ripening" empowerment?

Would this be rendered back into Sanskrit properly as vipāka abhiśeka? The term in Tibetan seems to be smin byed kyi dbang (see attachment ;) ).

By that definition, aren't all initiations considered ripening empowerments, or am i missing something? Are there empowerments that don't ripen as such, but perform some other function?

Yes, all empowerments, except maybe "blessing" empowerments, are ripening empowerments. You need the ripening empowerments and the liberating instructions in Vajrayana.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Palzang Jangchub

So a shorter length empowerment like a torwang could be a ripening empowerment, yes?

I ask because the particular initiation being called a ripening empowerment on the event schedule was previously given as torwang at another venue and was scheduled for a similar amount of time.

Maybe someone could detail why or why not?

"The Sutras, Tantras, and Philosophical Scriptures are great in number. However life is short, and intelligence is limited, so it's hard to cover them completely. You may know a lot, but if you don't put it into practice, it's like dying of thirst on the shore of a great lake. Likewise, a common corpse is found in the bed of a great scholar." ~ Karma Chagme

ratna

Post by ratna »

Palzang Jangchub wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 10:09 am So a shorter length empowerment like a torwang could be a ripening empowerment, yes?
I believe so.

R
Palzang Jangchub

Thank you for your replies, Ratna. I just stumbled upon a quote by Magnus in another thread that settles the issue for me.
heart wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:10 am A torwang is a torma empowerment, a brief but complete form that includes all of the four empowerments.
He was taking the time to correct me for having erroneously translated torwang as "vase empowerment" further up the thread, as can be seen in the original post (just click the little up arrow in the quote).

Seems I've come full circle (mandala?)... ;)

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Screenshot_20180510-005447.jpg

Depends on school, but no school considers a jenang a ripening empowerment.

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”