Symptoms Before Vajra Hell

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
kirtu
Former staff member

Re: Symptoms Before Vajra Hell

Post by kirtu »

AlexanderS wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:52 pm Im told by malcolm that suicide also can lead to vajra hell. I dont know what kind of symptoms indicate your going to hell, but ive had visionary experiences of hell beings progressing with detoration of my mental and psychical health, so i definitely feel like im on a downward trajectory.
Please practice Amitabha Buddha strongly. Actually practicing any Buddha you are attracted to is perfect.

Kirt
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
Vasana

Post by Vasana »

AlexanderS wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:52 pm Im told by malcolm that suicide also can lead to vajra hell. I dont know what kind of symptoms indicate your going to hell, but ive had visionary experiences of hell beings progressing with detoration of my mental and psychical health, so i definitely feel like im on a downward trajectory.
First of all, you should speak with friends and family and/or health care practitioners about any mental health issues you may be having. Don't think that you have to keep things to yourself - people return to well-being much faster when they have some level of support and people to speak with.

Secondly:

Not all visions, nyams or dreams necessarily indicate exactly what they seem to be on first appearance. There are countless variables at play. Sometimes bad dreams or sings can be good and sometimes good dreams or signs can be bad. An experience isn't prophetic just because a person thinks it is. Sometimes experiences can just be meaningless. Unless you are 100% certain about what something means, it makes very little spiritual or practical sense to become either fearful to the point of helplessness or hopeful to the point of scatteredness and distraction.

The most important thing to remember is that so long as you are still alive, there is always time to deepen your sense of refuge, purify obscurations, gather the accumulations and make aspirations that you can say from your own heart. These are things that the Buddhas , Bodhisattvas and masters say will ensure you don't visit the lower realms. For those worrying about their destinations - why not follow their advice? Why not take the advice of your teachers?
'When thoughts arise, recognise them clearly as your teacher'— Gampopa
'When alone, examine your mind, when among others, examine your speech'.— Atisha
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

kalden yungdrung wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:41 pm
Virgo wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:19 pm Dzogchen is not about hell, etc. It is about our knowledge in each moment.

Kevin...
Or the right vision.
Kalden, you say later:
Right vision is also needed / possible in Sutra.
What do you mean by this?

Thanks,

Kevin...
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Post by Schrödinger’s Yidam »

Sometimes bad dreams or sings can be good and sometimes good dreams or signs can be bad.
For instance when you're doing purification practices, bad dreams can signify that negative karma that would have ripened in your life is being ripened in the dream state. You are getting rid of bad karma is a harmless manner.

Good dreams, and fortunate circumstances, can be negative karmic ripening as obstacles. It is very common for someone that is going into a long retreat to be offered the job they always wanted, or the lover they never got over wants to take them back. Not always, but surprisingly often.

If you have access to a lama best to ask their counsel. If you don't, maybe you shouldn't be doing whatever practice you're doing.
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
haha

Post by haha »

Motova wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:03 am If it is certain one is going to Vajra Hell, does one display any mental or physical symptoms?
There is one reference on Nikaya (i.e. Majjhima Nikaya or Dīgha Nikāya on which I am not sure). Those who hold wrong views, they have two destinations: animal realm or Hell.
Such sutra does not provide what the wrong views mean at that point. But one can assert the meaning based on other sutras or pratītyasamutpāda.
There is one reference somewhere that bodhisattva of Nikaya saw the vision of future birth in lower realms because of his wrong practice and then he stopped it.

@AlexanderS
While contemplating on suffering of different realms, vision would rise. Such visions are regarded as purification of karmic seed. Another aspect, such visions are dependently arise and sometimes they could be misunderstood. If you have read the Virupa biography, it also provides some references.

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”