Yidams on a bikini

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
mechashivaz

Yidams on a bikini

Post by mechashivaz » Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:04 pm

There's a post going around on social media addressing the depictions of Buddha, Tara, and some yidams being placed on bathing suits, skirts, shirts, etc. and people are expressing “outrage” and are calling for a boycott of Amazon who is selling this merchandise. As practitioners I would think folks would be beyond this kind of attitude. These images are sacred to us but to others they're just nice art. If we begin to police what images people who aren't Buddhist should and shouldn't wear it becomes a slippery slope and wasted effort. It even seems that if a practitioner were disturbed by this they've been missing the point of the Dharma, although I certainly think a practitioner should not engage in wearing or distributing such things. Some one seeing these images may even be drawn to Dharma because of them, as I and other have been; drawn in by the exotic images only to become devoted practitioners years later.

Thoughts?

javier.espinoza.t

Re: Yidams on a bikini

Post by javier.espinoza.t » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:58 pm

Putting a buddha image in your butt or genitals is no good cause...

I was upset about that. But also upset with dharma used as merchandise.. youngsters that are forbiden to go to retreats because they can't pay, etc. So i don't know.

This kind of things only make me become more close and rightful to my commitments, more serious i hope, I dond want to be or break them in any way. I just thought "ok those guys are doing that, and/but ¿what am i doing?"
Identities are false and not true

Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:51 pm

I don't like it. I think people's overzealous reaction is kind of silly too, but it's pretty stupid.

I don't really see a point in trying to do anything about it, but I feel that very few people will likely benefit from it. Who knows though, I could be wrong and perhaps someone will experience liberation by seeing while leering at at someone's butt wearing these bikinis, stranger things have happened I'm sure.
"it must be coming from the mouthy mastermind of raunchy rapper, Johnny Dangerous”

-Jeff H.

Miroku

Post by Miroku » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:25 pm

I do not like it either. I think ti will do more harm than good. People were bit hysterical in the comments, but yeah this should remind us we are in kali yuga ... and we should keep our things secret. Or they become just a merch.
Child, if you are not hypocritical and out of control, that is conduct.
~ Padampa Sangye

You say such clever things to people, but you do not apply them to yourself.
The faults within you are the ones to be exposed.
~ Padampa Sangye

philji

Post by philji » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:36 pm

Before people go torching Amazon stores, it may be worth remember that it is not Amazon selling these goods, but a private seller who is using Amazon space. Amazon are prob noteven aware of it. Maybe pressure could be directed to that company.

dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:46 pm

I wouldn't mind seeing a dakini in a bikini though.
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche

Ogaf

Post by Ogaf » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:26 pm

A reminder of where the name came from:

Grigoris
Global Moderator

Post by Grigoris » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:18 pm

Buddha is not for decoration ii.png
Buddha is not for decoration ii.png (337.77 KiB) Viewed 721 times
Buddha is not for decoration.png
Buddha is not for decoration.png (424.85 KiB) Viewed 721 times

You come across these signs quite often in Thailand. There were even billboards.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

Josef

Post by Josef » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:34 pm

mechashivaz wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:04 pm
There's a post going around on social media addressing the depictions of Buddha, Tara, and some yidams being placed on bathing suits, skirts, shirts, etc. and people are expressing “outrage” and are calling for a boycott of Amazon who is selling this merchandise. As practitioners I would think folks would be beyond this kind of attitude. These images are sacred to us but to others they're just nice art. If we begin to police what images people who aren't Buddhist should and shouldn't wear it becomes a slippery slope and wasted effort. It even seems that if a practitioner were disturbed by this they've been missing the point of the Dharma, although I certainly think a practitioner should not engage in wearing or distributing such things. Some one seeing these images may even be drawn to Dharma because of them, as I and other have been; drawn in by the exotic images only to become devoted practitioners years later.

Thoughts?
There are plenty other reasons to boycott amazon.
Kye ma!
The river of continuity is marked by impermanence.
Ceaseless flowing of appearance.
Beautiful and repulsive.
The dance of life and death is a display of the vast expanse.
With gratitude the watcher and the watched pass through the barrier of duality.

Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:17 pm

Josef wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:34 pm
mechashivaz wrote:

Thoughts?
That's the truth, this is small potatoes in comparison.
"it must be coming from the mouthy mastermind of raunchy rapper, Johnny Dangerous”

-Jeff H.

Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:30 pm

Grigoris wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:18 pm
Buddha is not for decoration ii.png

Buddha is not for decoration.png

You come across these signs quite often in Thailand. There were even billboards.

IDK, I've known more than a few people here that have come to Dharma due to their initial reactions to decorative Buddhas. Like anything else though, there's a line where it just becomes gross.

-Jeff H.

Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:50 pm

Trying doing that with a picture of muhhamed and see what happens!
Josef wrote:
True

Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous » Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:12 am

Fortyeightvows wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:50 pm
Trying doing that with a picture of muhhamed and see what happens!
Josef wrote:
True
How is that even relevant to what we are talking about, other than to bring up some issue with Islam?

-Jeff H.

Tiago Simões

Post by Tiago Simões » Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:24 am

Kali Yuga... Getting outraged about this accomplishes nothing.
Then, the Licchavi Vimalakīrti spoke to the elder Śāriputra and the great disciples: “Reverends, eat of the food of the Tathāgata! It is ambrosia perfumed by the great compassion. But do not fix your minds in narrow-minded attitudes, lest you be unable to receive its gift.”

- Chapter 9, The Feast Brought by the Emanated Incarnation
The Noble Mahāyāna Sūtra “The Teaching of Vimalakīrti”

Josef

Post by Josef » Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:24 am

Tiago Simões wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:24 am
Kali Yuga... Getting outraged about this accomplishes nothing.
Exactly.
If we want something to outraged by as practitioners we should look at suffering in places like Gaza, the US/Mexico border, Yemen, and all of the other parts of the world where sentient beings are being tortured and tormented in the name of ignorance and greed.
Religious indignation has nothing to do with bodhicitta.
Kye ma!
Beautiful and repulsive.

DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA » Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:01 am

mechashivaz wrote:
The people who are using these images don't have a commitment of any kind to them, their intentions are their business and not mine, I have no idea what might result from their making some kind of impression or connection to those images, so I conclude that I'm in no position to judge their conduct, especially when I have such difficulty regulating my own conduct. I am convinced that karma is infallible so if this is indeed bad conduct then it will come around with a bad result for these persons, so there's no reason for me to give them a hard time about it, especially when nothing I might say will convince them to change their ways.

What's the point of any of this?

javier.espinoza.t

Post by javier.espinoza.t » Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:00 am

DGA wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:01 am
mechashivaz wrote:
The people who are using these images don't have a commitment of any kind to them, their intentions are their business and not mine, I have no idea what might result from their making some kind of impression or connection to those images, so I conclude that I'm in no position to judge their conduct, especially when I have such difficulty regulating my own conduct. I am convinced that karma is infallible so if this is indeed bad conduct then it will come around with a bad result for these persons, so there's no reason for me to give them a hard time about it, especially when nothing I might say will convince them to change their ways.

What's the point of any of this?
the point, at least mine, is that this people obtained the images/information from no other place than a samaya breaker.

ok, or may be they where stolen.
Identities are false and not true

amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc » Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:35 am

As I have heard ,even a bad connection with the Dharma is better than none at all. :shrug:

Varis

Post by Varis » Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:25 am

Josef wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:24 am
Exactly.
If we want something to outraged by as practitioners we should look at suffering in places like Gaza, the US/Mexico border, Yemen, and all of the other parts of the world where sentient beings are being tortured and tormented in the name of ignorance and greed.
I agree that we should not become outraged about this, but we should politely and kindly inform people that this is disrespectful. They may suffer as a result of their conduct. We're not doing them any favors by not speaking up.

Josef

Post by Josef » Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:44 pm

Varis wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:25 am
Josef wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:24 am
Exactly.
I agree that we should not become outraged about this, but we should politely and kindly inform people that this is disrespectful. They may suffer as a result of their conduct. We're not doing them any favors by not speaking up.
In the vast majority, if not all cases these individuals aren’t practitioners. They haven’t taken refuge, bodhicitta, or samaya vows and therefore have no commitments to revere Buddhist images etc.. This isn’t a downfall for non-vow holders. Publicly shaming them amounts to religious fanaticism.
Kye ma!
Beautiful and repulsive.

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”