Effects of alcohol on the channels

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Jangchup Donden

Effects of alcohol on the channels

Post by Jangchup Donden » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:24 pm

So there's been a lot of discussion on here about the negative effects of tobacco on the channels. Are there any scriptural references/teachings about the effects of alcohol on the channels? Is it as negative?

Virgo
Global Moderator

Re: Effects of alcohol on the channels

Post by Virgo » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:28 pm

Jangchup Donden wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:24 pm
So there's been a lot of discussion on here about the negative effects of tobacco on the channels. Are there any scriptural references/teachings about the effects of alcohol on the channels? Is it as negative?
In terms of ganapuja, or in terms of the spectrum from social to chronic drinking?

Kevin...
ངོ་རང་ཐོག་ཏུ་སྤྲད། །
ཐག་གཅིག་ཐོག་ཏུ་བཅད། །
གདེང་གྲོལ་ཐོག་ཏུ་བཅའ། །

http://caretoclick.com/clean-the-enviro ... -phone-use

Josef

Post by Josef » Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:01 am

A hangover is an indication that ones tsa, lung, and thigle aren’t happy.
Kye ma!
The river of continuity is marked by impermanence.
Ceaseless flowing of appearance.
Beautiful and repulsive.
The dance of life and death is a display of the vast expanse.
With gratitude the watcher and the watched pass through the barrier of duality.

Aryjna

Post by Aryjna » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:37 am

Not related to the channels themselves, but I recently came across ChNNR quoting a tantra that says that a tantric practitioner who gets drunk goes to hell. So it is more than undesirable; as a situation where there is loss of awareness.

Crazywisdom

Post by Crazywisdom » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:12 pm

Aryjna wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:37 am
Not related to the channels themselves, but I recently came across ChNNR quoting a tantra that says that a tantric practitioner who gets drunk goes to hell. So it is more than undesirable; as a situation where there is loss of awareness.
It’s all about this: being able to remain aware. Trungpa and some siddhas use alcohol as an enhancement. I think if the strength of awareness is stable it will help. Probably an advanced use.
She glares menacingly at your corpse.

The criticisms of others are like wrathful mantras. Fast purification. Welcome it. -can’t remember who

SunWuKong

Post by SunWuKong » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:37 pm

So, never mind about that. Alcohol causes impaired judgement and results in harm to the drinker and whoever they hit with their car. It also cause heart disease, stroke, mouth cancer, esophageal cancer, and stomach cancer. And finally, it's empty calories you really don't need. Not to mention it will cancel or warp every paranormal or supernatural benefit. On top of that its highly addictive, and it's particularly nasty drug to kick. Unlike heroin, alcohol deprivation in the addict can cause sudden death. Cheers!
"We are magical animals that roam" ~ Roam

Harimoo

Post by Harimoo » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:20 pm

Alcohol kills Dakinis (germ syllables) dixit Shardza Rinpoche. Alcohol = no rainbow body.

Marc

Post by Marc » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:59 pm

Indeed, it seems to me as well that JLA said that, as per Shardza Rinpoche, alcohol is abusesively equated Amrita...

Do Buddhist “Tantric Tantras” explicitely refer to alcohol as a samaya substance ? Or do they actually refer to Amrita which is then conflated with Alcohol ?  

Crazywisdom

Post by Crazywisdom » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:08 pm

Alcohol
She glares menacingly at your corpse.

The criticisms of others are like wrathful mantras. Fast purification. Welcome it. -can’t remember who

Grigoris
Global Moderator

Post by Grigoris » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:36 pm

Alcohol, and lots of it!
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

Sādhaka

Post by Sādhaka » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:04 pm

If what Shardza Tashi Gyaltsen said about this is literal, or if he wasn’t using skillful means there in addressing monks (there is a paper written—I can’t remember by who, I’ll have to find it—that says that some statements made about sex by Shardza Tashi Gyaltsen were skillful means because his audience was often monks), or if he isn’t being misconstrued somehow; then I guess we’re all screwed, because think of how much worse the toxins in our food and environment (carbon monoxide, glyphosate, various types of radiation, etc.) are than alcohol, or how much worse the pharmaceuticals are that most of us have taken at some point in our lives (perhaps worst of all, probably given to us by our parents when we were fragile infants in the first stages of development).

I can see the amount of alcohol that is enough to get really drunk being extremely harmful to the channels and such. But couldn’t we say that, even if one has done some pretty heavy damage, that there are some Tibetan and Indian medicines that could be combined with physical Yogas that would sufficiently regenerate the body if practiced diligently enough?
Last edited by Sādhaka on Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“...we should try to acquire clairvoyance. Without it, we are like a baby bird whose wings are undeveloped and has not yet grown feathers and remains stuck in its nest, unable to fly. Without clairvoyance, we cannot work for other sentient beings.” — Khunu Lama
“Just as a bird can not fly without both wings,
The welfare of others cannot be accomplished without the higher faculties of perception,
So diligently strive for your own wellbeing, whilst mentally considering the welfare of others.” — Longchenpa

Virgo
Global Moderator

Post by Virgo » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:29 pm

The ultimate thigle is not damaged by alcohol in any way. You may, however, damage channels in your body if you drink too much in one sitting or drink alcohol very often. That is undesirable.

Kevin...
ངོ་རང་ཐོག་ཏུ་སྤྲད། །
ཐག་གཅིག་ཐོག་ཏུ་བཅད། །
གདེང་གྲོལ་ཐོག་ཏུ་བཅའ། །

http://caretoclick.com/clean-the-enviro ... -phone-use

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”