Effects of alcohol on the channels

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Jangchup Donden

Effects of alcohol on the channels

Post by Jangchup Donden »

So there's been a lot of discussion on here about the negative effects of tobacco on the channels. Are there any scriptural references/teachings about the effects of alcohol on the channels? Is it as negative?
Virgo

Re: Effects of alcohol on the channels

Post by Virgo »

Jangchup Donden wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:24 pm So there's been a lot of discussion on here about the negative effects of tobacco on the channels. Are there any scriptural references/teachings about the effects of alcohol on the channels? Is it as negative?
In terms of ganapuja, or in terms of the spectrum from social to chronic drinking?

Kevin...
Josef

Post by Josef »

A hangover is an indication that ones tsa, lung, and thigle aren’t happy.
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
Aryjna

Post by Aryjna »

Not related to the channels themselves, but I recently came across ChNNR quoting a tantra that says that a tantric practitioner who gets drunk goes to hell. So it is more than undesirable; as a situation where there is loss of awareness.
Natan

Post by Natan »

Aryjna wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:37 am Not related to the channels themselves, but I recently came across ChNNR quoting a tantra that says that a tantric practitioner who gets drunk goes to hell. So it is more than undesirable; as a situation where there is loss of awareness.
It’s all about this: being able to remain aware. Trungpa and some siddhas use alcohol as an enhancement. I think if the strength of awareness is stable it will help. Probably an advanced use.
Vajra fangs deliver vajra venom to your Mara body.
SunWuKong

Post by SunWuKong »

So, never mind about that. Alcohol causes impaired judgement and results in harm to the drinker and whoever they hit with their car. It also cause heart disease, stroke, mouth cancer, esophageal cancer, and stomach cancer. And finally, it's empty calories you really don't need. Not to mention it will cancel or warp every paranormal or supernatural benefit. On top of that its highly addictive, and it's particularly nasty drug to kick. Unlike heroin, alcohol deprivation in the addict can cause sudden death. Cheers!
"We are magical animals that roam" ~ Roam
Harimoo

Post by Harimoo »

Alcohol kills Dakinis (germ syllables) dixit Shardza Rinpoche. Alcohol = no rainbow body.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Indeed, it seems to me as well that JLA said that, as per Shardza Rinpoche, alcohol is abusesively equated Amrita...

Do Buddhist “Tantric Tantras” explicitely refer to alcohol as a samaya substance ? Or do they actually refer to Amrita which is then conflated with Alcohol ?  
Natan

Post by Natan »

Alcohol
Vajra fangs deliver vajra venom to your Mara body.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Alcohol, and lots of it!
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Sādhaka

Post by Sādhaka »

If what Shardza Tashi Gyaltsen said about this is literal, or if he wasn’t using skillful means there in addressing monks (there is a paper written—I can’t remember by who, I’ll have to find it—that says that some statements made about sex by Shardza Tashi Gyaltsen were skillful means because his audience was often monks), or if he isn’t being misconstrued somehow; then I guess we’re all screwed, because think of how much worse the toxins in our food and environment (carbon monoxide, glyphosate, various types of radiation, etc.) are than alcohol, or how much worse the pharmaceuticals are that most of us have taken at some point in our lives (perhaps worst of all, probably given to us by our parents when we were fragile infants in the first stages of development).

I can see the amount of alcohol that is enough to get really drunk being extremely harmful to the channels and such. But couldn’t we say that, even if one has done some pretty heavy damage, that there are some Tibetan and Indian medicines that could be combined with physical Yogas that would sufficiently regenerate the body if practiced diligently enough?
Last edited by Sādhaka on Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

The ultimate thigle is not damaged by alcohol in any way. You may, however, damage channels in your body if you drink too much in one sitting or drink alcohol very often. That is undesirable.

Kevin...

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”