Dzogchen and Mahamudra: differences and similarities

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
calmdharma

Dzogchen and Mahamudra: differences and similarities

Post by calmdharma »

Dear,

Can you help me to understand the differences and similarities between Dzogchen and Mahamudra?

Thanks.
Natan

Re: Dzogchen and Mahamudra: differences and similarities

Post by Natan »

From perspective of the path: very different. That is, if you are thinking, “I heard about this lama giving Mahamudra teachings.” The you’re talking about Kagyu Mahamudra and the teacher is probably a monk and you will get a heavy sutra crossover. However, if you heard about Mahamudra from the perspective of yidam practice and secret mantra, the differences are just a matter of personal taste.

From the perspective of the result: same with a caveat. The Dzogchen tantras even the commentary to Guhyagarbha describe a level of Mahamudra and then go on to describe a self-appearing Dzogchen result. Whether one is beyond the other or they are two way the result may unfold is a matter of endless debates. These debates are on this site. You may get a lot out of them. From my limited experience, seekers have many possible routes to the result. It’s like a choose your own adventure novel where your story line can fork but you end up at the same conclusion. That said, Dzogchen texts spend a lot more time being explicit about the path and result in ways you won’t find elsewhere. Kagyu masters tend to be really great about being gurus, the personal attention type. Dzogchen masters tend to leave it all for the teaching.
Vajra fangs deliver vajra venom to your Mara body.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Dear,

Can you help me to understand the differences and similarities between Dzogchen and Mahamudra?

Thanks.
The basis is the same, the clear and empty nature of the mind.

The path is different.

The result is the same.
kalden yungdrung

Post by kalden yungdrung »

Dear,

Thanks.
Tashi delek,

Bön Dzogchen has Trekchöd and Thogal
Mahamudra can be seen as equal to Trekchöd, practised in Bön Dzogchen

Teached in Bön Dzogchen by our Yongdzin Rinpoche that if the Path is different, the fruit will be also different.

Hope this helps

Mutsuk Marro
KY.
The best meditation is no meditation
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

kalden yungdrung wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:29 pm
Dear,

Thanks.
Tashi delek,

Teached in Bön Dzogchen by our Yongdzin Rinpoche that if the Path is different, the fruit will be also different.

Hope this helps

Mutsuk Marro
KY.

This is a mistake -- the only the result can be different is if the basis is different. The basis in Dzogchen, Mahamudra, etc., is the mind.
rang.drol

Post by rang.drol »

Malcolm wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:43 am
Dear,

Thanks.
Tashi delek,

Hope this helps

Mutsuk Marro
KY.

This is a mistake -- the only the result can be different is if the basis is different. The basis in Dzogchen, Mahamudra, etc., is the mind.
That would imply that the realization of mahamudra would equal the attainment of rainbow body, which is uncommon in dzogchen too (to be attained by application of certain specific practices only).
So might we rather say: the realization of dzogchen trekchod is the same as in mahamudra, while the attainment of rainbow body is (or at least manifests) somewhat different?
kalden yungdrung

Dear,

Thanks.
Tashi delek,

Hope this helps

Mutsuk Marro
KY.

Dear Malcolm,

Lets start with that what our Bön Yongdzin Rinpoche states is NEVER a mistake!

Not in the beginning, in the middle and the end of his explanation, no mistakes possible.
I would say that is a brutality from your side to state this.
So i and other Bönpos will go 108% for Lopon Las explanation, rather then for your (private) explanation, that would be clear.
Then in case of mistakes, search that first into yourself, would i say.
You never can equal your title of "Lopon", with the title of Yongdzin , which our Lopon Tenzin Namdak has, including his Knowledge / Wisdom and Realizations.
kalden yungdrung

rang.drol wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:34 am

Tashi delek,

Hope this helps

Mutsuk Marro
KY.

That would imply that the realization of mahamudra would equal the attainment of rainbow body, which is uncommon in dzogchen too (to be attained by application of certain specific practices only).
So might we rather say: the realization of dzogchen trekchod is the same as in mahamudra, while the attainment of rainbow body is (or at least manifests) somewhat different?
Tashi delek R,

That was a long time ago.
How are you doing ?

Sure Trekchöd = Mahamudra no doubt about it

Mahamudra is NOT Dzogchen ( By Lopon Tenzin Namdak / John Reynolds (Vajranatha) and all other followers)

does not the matter how much others would claim:
"Phyag-chen rdzog-chen dbu-ma chen-po gcig-pa red",
that is,
Mahamudra, Dzogchen and the Great Madhyamaka are all the same.

Mutsuk Marro
KY.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

kalden yungdrung wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:48 am

Tashi delek,

Hope this helps

Mutsuk Marro
KY.

Dear Malcolm,

Chogyal Namkhai Norbu can also never be mistaken, and he clearly explains that the result of mahamudra and dzogchen are the same.
kalden yungdrung

Malcolm wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:51 pm
kalden yungdrung wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:48 am

Dear Malcolm,

Chogyal Namkhai Norbu can also never be mistaken, and he clearly explains that the result of mahamudra and dzogchen are the same.
Well, you can make clever statements about Chögyal Namkha Norbu Rinpoche and i want to see the text where he states that Chag Gya Chenpo would chi pare to Dzogchen.

Then that Namkhai Rinpoche is not and never mistaken, that is only valid for his followers like you and others here, that is clear, but does not count for others and vice versa.
But that you push here that morality / view, as valid here and as THE way how to see Dzogchen etc. that should be seen more moderately imo.

All in all we can say it is not and it is about is Dzogchen the same as Mahamudra and that sounds for others anyway unbelievable.
WeiHan

Post by WeiHan »

Dear,

Thanks.
Tashi delek,

Hope this helps

Mutsuk Marro
KY.
Define what is meant by path? Is Mahamudra and Bon Dzogchen considered a different path? Since you specify that there is a Bon Dzogchen, it is to differentiate it from Buddhist Dzogchen or that they just have differing names but are the same path?
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Tashi delek,

Hope this helps

Mutsuk Marro
KY.

No, also the body of light is realized in the result, mahamudra.
kalden yungdrung

Malcolm wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:30 pm

Before you go on with your private opinions, we / ego, like to know Namkhai Rinpoches statements on paper regarding Dzogchen = Mahamudra.

At least, for the minimum, we follow and compare the Master´s voice.

Again, for the good order, the statement was that:
- if the Path is different the Fruit is also different.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

kalden yungdrung wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:59 pm

Before you go on with your private opinions, we / ego, like to know Namkhai Rinpoches statements on paper regarding Dzogchen = Mahamudra.

ChNN states this in Crystal, all Buddhist Dzogchen masters maintain the same perspective as ChNN.
kalden yungdrung

Malcolm wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:02 pm

ChNN states this in Crystal, all Buddhist Dzogchen masters maintain the same perspective as ChNN.
Which page please ?
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

kalden yungdrung wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:14 pm

Which page please ?
I don’t have book with me, but it is there use index
kalden yungdrung

Malcolm wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:16 pm

Which page please ?
Sorry, no valid answer.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

kalden yungdrung wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:17 pm

Which page please ?
Sorry, no valid answer.
Ask some other ChNN student, they will confirm what I say. Right now I am on the road.
kalden yungdrung

Malcolm wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:31 pm

Sorry, no valid answer.
Ask some other ChNN student, they will confirm what I say.
Sorry no valid answer again, maybe we should better stop this discussion, guess its better for you.
In the meanwhile we maintain that if the Path is different the Fruit is also different, if you don´t mind it.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

kalden yungdrung wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:33 pm
Malcolm wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:31 pm

Sorry, no valid answer.
Ask some other ChNN student, they will confirm what I say.
Sorry no valid answer again, maybe we should better stop this discussion, guess its better for you.
In the meanwhile we maintain that if the Path is different the Fruit is also different, if you don´t mind it.
Yes, I am aware of what Bonpos maintain. Buddhists disagree, all of them, including ChNN.

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”