Astrology?

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Tenma

Astrology?

Post by Tenma »

What is the Buddhist view of worldly astrology, particularly if it includes suggesting reciting mantras like those of the Kalachakra(I have no clue if these mantras in Mewa require a lung) and Hinduism(I'm a bit concerned on honoring Shri Dakshina Murthy, aka. Jupiter, Shiva). What is the Buddhist view of these and is it safe to recite the mantras that are recommended for these worldly deities like Shiva, Rahu, Ketu, etc.?
And if allowed, does the entire meat, garlic, onions, etc. restriction follow along with these deities even if one recites Om Ah Hum and meat mantras?
Aryjna

Re: Astrology?

Post by Aryjna »

In my opinion, it is a waste of time unless you have received relevant teachings.

Why would you recite hindu mantras when basic Mahayana practice is much more effective for any purpose, including for avoiding negativities related to astrology or anything else.
Tenma

Post by Tenma »

Aryjna wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:51 pm In my opinion, it is a waste of time unless you have received relevant teachings.

Why would you recite hindu mantras when basic Mahayana practice is much more effective for any purpose, including for avoiding negativities related to astrology or anything else.
Does one ask the enlightened deities to waste their time fulfilling the worldly desires of a practitioner?
fckw

Post by fckw »

As has been pointed out many times in this forum, Shiva is considered a protector deity in Vajrayana. Also Rahula is a protector deity that rules over all planets known to ancient Tibetan astrology. Usually, one does not start protector deity practices unless one has practiced other Buddhist protector deity practices. For example, it makes little sense to practice with Rahula if you've never done a good share of Guru-Yoga as well as visualisation practice with other more common deities, especially any kind of anuttarayoga tantric practice. However, this presumes that you are a practitioner of Tantra or any other of the higher vehicles, have received sufficient instructions and are prepared. If you are not, then I recommend not to do these practices.

Regarding meat, onions, garlic etc: Tibetans eat all of this stuff. In Buddhist tantra and higher vehicles, there are no dietary inhibitions known to me. Dietary restrictions of any kind are typically a sign of practice at a kriyayoga and charyayoga level, that is of outer tantra practice. If your practice revolves mainly around the level of outer tantra, then I would not recommend doing any protector practice, for which I'd recommend at least a mahayoga level of practice.
fckw

Post by fckw »

Tenma wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:50 pm
Aryjna wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:51 pm In my opinion, it is a waste of time unless you have received relevant teachings.

Does one ask the enlightened deities to waste their time fulfilling the worldly desires of a practitioner?
Of course, everyone does so. These desires were pure from the beginning.
Aryjna

Post by Aryjna »

Tenma wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:50 pm

You don't have to pray to deities specifically asking for help with worldly things, doing the practices brings the results in any case.

There are many practices from sutras, such as dharanis, that remove obstacles etc. Cultivating bodhicitta by itself generates enormous merit while removing great amounts of karma and provides protection.
Tenma

Post by Tenma »

fckw wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:13 pm As has been pointed out many times in this forum, Shiva is considered a protector deity in Vajrayana. Also Rahula is a protector deity that rules over all planets known to ancient Tibetan astrology. Usually, one does not start protector deity practices unless one has practiced other Buddhist protector deity practices. For example, it makes little sense to practice with Rahula if you've never done a good share of Guru-Yoga as well as visualisation practice with other more common deities, especially any kind of anuttarayoga tantric practice. However, this presumes that you are a practitioner of Tantra or any other of the higher vehicles, have received sufficient instructions and are prepared. If you are not, then I recommend not to do these practices.

Regarding meat, onions, garlic etc: Tibetans eat all of this stuff. In Buddhist tantra and higher vehicles, there are no dietary inhibitions known to me. Dietary restrictions of any kind are typically a sign of practice at a kriyayoga and charyayoga level, that is of outer tantra practice. If your practice revolves mainly around the level of outer tantra, then I would not recommend doing any protector practice, for which I'd recommend at least a mahayoga level of practice.
I see, so one must be a high-leveled practitioner in order to practice these astrological practices, even if one is connected with Ketu or Shiva by astrology sign. Got it. Does the same go for astrological Kalachakra mantras in Mewa from the Tibetan astrology website?

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”