How to learn to pronounce mantras?

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
joehaz21

How to learn to pronounce mantras?

Post by joehaz21 »

Hi all, I’m having trouble pronouncing a lot of the mantras in Tibetan and was wondering how you guys learned how to pronounce them? I have a recording I took of my guru reciting the Vajrasattva mantra but for the life of me I can’t keep up with his recitation. I have tried YouTube and have looked up the text but the way it is presented in English I just can’t pron it lol. Any info is helpful thanks.
pemachophel

Re: How to learn to pronounce mantras?

Post by pemachophel »

Try this version of the Vajrasattva mantra. No fancy Sanskrit dipthongs or diacritical marks. This is how I learned this mantra from my Teacher.

OM BA-DZRA SA-TO SA-MA-YA
MA-NU PA-LA-YA
BA-DZRA SA-TO TE-NO-PA
TE-THO DRI-DHO ME-BHA-WA
SU-TO KHA-YO ME-BHA-WA
SU-PO KHA-YO ME-BHA-WA
A-NU RAK-TO ME-BHA-WA
SAR-WA SID-DHI ME-PRA-YA-TSA
SAR-WA KAR-MA SU-TSA-ME
TSI-TAM SHRE-YAM KU-RU HUNG
HA HA HA HA HO
BHA-GA-WAN
SAR-WA TA-THA-GA-TA
BA-DZRA MA-ME MUN-TSA
BA-DZRI BHA-WA
MA-HA SA-MA-YA
SA-TO AH

Good luck & best wishes.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

joehaz21 wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:14 pm Hi all, I’m having trouble pronouncing a lot of the mantras in Tibetan and was wondering how you guys learned how to pronounce them? I have a recording I took of my guru reciting the Vajrasattva mantra but for the life of me I can’t keep up with his recitation. I have tried YouTube and have looked up the text but the way it is presented in English I just can’t pron it lol. Any info is helpful thanks.
Learn tibetan. A basic tibetan course is suficient, for the mantras are not in tibetan language, they are written in tibetan for keeping the correct pronunciation.
true dharma is inexpressible.

The bodhisattva nourishes from bodhicitta, through whatever method the Buddha has given him. Oh joy.
Vasana

Post by Vasana »

You can use an existing transliteration as a basis and modify it according to the phonetics you hear in the audio and then re-write it for your practice. Obviously this isn't guaranteed to avoid errors but at least you will be able to practice along as closely as you can.
'When thoughts arise, recognise them clearly as your teacher'— Gampopa
'When alone, examine your mind, when among others, examine your speech'.— Atisha
Kris

Post by Kris »

For some reason I won't consciously chant Vajra as 'Benzra' or 'Badzra'
The profound path of the master.
-- Virūpa, Vajra Lines
joehaz21

Post by joehaz21 »

Thank you all for your helpful replies. I’m trying to learn the Tibetan alphabet and if you have any recommendations or tips I would be very grateful.
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

joehaz21 wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:52 pm Thank you all for your helpful replies. I’m trying to learn the Tibetan alphabet and if you have any recommendations or tips I would be very grateful.
Haha i'm also learning. Fortunately my teacher also is practitioner and is fantastic, i learned a lot, i mean like the starting "missing puzzle pieces" i had on vajrayana, and also language sanskrit and it's relation to tibetan.

I envourage you to look for someone who can give you a bit of time to learn, the best is a translator. Good luck!
true dharma is inexpressible.

The bodhisattva nourishes from bodhicitta, through whatever method the Buddha has given him. Oh joy.
Wayfarer
Former staff member

Post by Wayfarer »

in regard to Sanskrit (not Tibetan), I have found a very useful Youtube channel Buddhist Practice in Sanskrit.

There is also a wonderful resource site with Sanskrit Buddhist chants at www.bodhisvara.com.
'Only practice with no gaining idea' ~ Suzuki Roshi
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

Wayfarer wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:49 am in regard to Sanskrit (not Tibetan), I have found a very useful Youtube channel Buddhist Practice in Sanskrit.

There is also a wonderful resource site with Sanskrit Buddhist chants at www.bodhisvara.com.
May you have a nice day.

Kevin...

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”