Naga Offering

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Naga Offering

Post by Grigoris »

Some time ago my Kagyu teacher gave me a practice for offering to the Naga. Unfortunately since then he has had a stroke and it is not possible for me to ask him many detailed questions.

So here is the issue:

The practice has a dharani which is read to please the Naga, the dharani starts with:

TAYATHA DHARANI DHARANI UT DHARANI SAMPRA TISTHE TE...

(or gibberish to that effect)

Does anybody know the particular dharani and have access to a Tibetan or Sanskrit version of it?

Thanks.

If anybody believes they can help, but needs a little further information, they can PM me.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Grigoris
Former staff member

Re: Naga Offering

Post by Grigoris »

No takers at all?

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
SunWuKong

Post by SunWuKong »

Grigoris wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:08 pm No takers at all?
Naga should be the easiest spirits to call up, if you judge by how easy it is to call up snakes. Far easier than foxes or ravens. Can't you just "wing it" ?
"We are magical animals that roam" ~ Roam
Norwegian

Post by Norwegian »

SunWuKong wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:01 am
Naga should be the easiest spirits to call up, if you judge by how easy it is to call up snakes. Far easier than foxes or ravens. Can't you just "wing it" ?
Nonsensical post.
SunWuKong

Post by SunWuKong »

Norwegian wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:13 am
Nonsensical post.
No sense of humor? LOL, get over it.

In actuality you can call up both animals as well as "divine spirits" so you may think nonsensical, but until you tried, don't knock it
Norwegian

Post by Norwegian »

SunWuKong wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:16 am
Nonsensical post.

In actuality you can call up both animals as well as "divine spirits" so you may think nonsensical, but until you tried, don't knock it
Has nothing to do with humor and everything to do with you talking about a subject matter you clearly know nothing about. You don't "wing" anything when it comes to nagas.
SunWuKong

Post by SunWuKong »

Norwegian wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:24 am
SunWuKong wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:16 am
Nonsensical post.

Has nothing to do with humor and everything to do with you talking about a subject matter you clearly know nothing about. You don't "wing" anything when it comes to nagas.
Of course you don't "wing it" when it comes to Nagas, that's why saying it is funny. But explaining how humor works to you, isn't funny at all. This whole conversation is taking place on a public forum on the internet, so it's intrinsically funny in the first place, to inquire about Nagas on the www? Nevermind, I can see its impossible to explain the meaning of the words without insulting your "intelligence"
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

Closest Google gets is:

TAYATHA OM TATHAGATA BHAGAVAN NAGA RANDZE SHORA ADHISHTHANA ADHISHTITE SOHA

https://www.lamayeshe.com/article/chapt ... 0-march-16
http://www.khyung.com ཁྲོཾ

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

I would look in the gZungs 'Dus, the Compendium of Dharanis. Unfortunately, you would have to be able to read Tibetan and there's no really easy, workable way to search the two volumes at TBRC. The gZungs 'Dus does not only contain dharanis but lots and lots of individual mantras (as well as important, short sutras).

I did also try to search the mantra itself and got nothing.

Can you give me the Tibetan title of the sadhana this is from? I might be able to find something that way.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Unfortunately the whole practice is just the dharani in English transliteration , with no title and the advice to add on all the standard prayers before and after.

pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

Then I'd definitely take a look at the gZungs 'Dus (although I have searched the gZungs 'Dus for anything having to do with Nagas and I don't remember this).

Lemme know if you find this. Looks useful.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

I'd probably send this to some Karma Kagyu monk or khenpo to find out more about it. Does the teacher you have gotten the text from have any close disciples you could email? I think this seems to be the only way.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”