Dharmapalas and Consorts

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Mantrik
Former staff member

Dharmapalas and Consorts

Post by Mantrik »

Some Dharmapalas, like Za Rahula, have consorts.
Is this common, and does it indicate a level of enlightenment as opposed to being wordly?
http://www.khyung.com ཁྲོཾ

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)
Vasana

Re: Dharmapalas and Consorts

Post by Vasana »

Probably best not to have a public discussion on anything related to the Guardians.
'When thoughts arise, recognise them clearly as your teacher'— Gampopa
'When alone, examine your mind, when among others, examine your speech'.— Atisha
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

Vasana wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:44 am Probably best not to have a public discussion on anything related to the Guardians.
I think people are savvy enough not to reveal any practice details and just answer a simple question.

If it seems not, we invented Tantra Talk for questions best answered in private, so Mods can move it there.

Vasana

Post by Vasana »

Mantrik wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:50 am
Vasana wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:44 am Probably best not to have a public discussion on anything related to the Guardians.
I think people are savvy enough not to reveal any practice details and just answer a simple question.

If it seems not, we invented Tantra Talk for questions best answered in private, so Mods can move it there.
On issues that can be misconstrued by those unfamiliar with the subject matter and of secret-mantra in general, it's best to err on the side of caution since this is a public forum and people may form or have their wrong views reinforced whether intentionally or not. This can make the possibility of meeting and trusting these vehicles even slimmer which should be avoided. I think this forum overall has a bit of a heavy issue for for speaking about things we shouldn't be, however simple they may seem to us.
'When thoughts arise, recognise them clearly as your teacher'— Gampopa
'When alone, examine your mind, when among others, examine your speech'.— Atisha
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

Vasana wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:38 pm
Mantrik wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:50 am

On issues that can be misconstrued by those unfamiliar with the subject matter and of secret-mantra in general, it's best to err on the side of caution since this is a public forum and people may form or have their wrong views reinforced whether intentionally or not. This can make the possibility of meeting and trusting these vehicles even slimmer which should be avoided. I think this forum overall has a bit of a heavy issue for for speaking about things we shouldn't be, however simple they may seem to us.
Maybe, and I know you've raised this objection before, but there are many threads here including discussions about Dharmapalas and by and large they don't go into detail. One potential benefit is that some may realise that what they have been told about their pet Gyalpo is very wrong........a good many of them read DW, and even post here.

heart

Post by heart »

Mantrik wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:25 am Some Dharmapalas, like Za Rahula, have consorts.
Is this common, and does it indicate a level of enlightenment as opposed to being wordly?
Yes, pretty common and no I don't think it indicate a level of enlightenment because for example Lha Chenpo is almost always depicted with his consort.

https://www.himalayanart.org/search/set.cfm?setID=559

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

heart wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:48 pm
Mantrik wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:25 am Some Dharmapalas, like Za Rahula, have consorts.
Yes, pretty common and no I don't think it indicate a level of enlightenment because for example Lha Chenpo is almost always depicted with his consort.

https://www.himalayanart.org/search/set.cfm?setID=559

/magnus
Thanks. :)

jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

that class doesn't have females, so to me it indicated power, dominion, superiority, etc.

it is part of the retinue.
true dharma is inexpressible.

The bodhisattva nourishes from bodhicitta, through whatever method the Buddha has given him. Oh joy.
Josef

Post by Josef »

javier.espinoza.t wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:49 am
that class doesn't have females, so to me it indicated power, dominion, superiority, etc.

Where did you get the idea that there arent female raksha?
Where did you get the idea that masculinity is more powerful or "superior" in the teachings or worldly life?
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

Josef wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:18 am

Where did you get the idea that there arent female raksha?
Where did you get the idea that masculinity is more powerful or "superior" in the teachings or worldly life?
Yes, the consorts are Rakshasi and also invoked.

I'd never argue with a Mamo. It wouldn't end well.

heart

Post by heart »

Za Rahula have four consorts.

/magnus
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

In Kamtsang Bernakchen and Palden Lhamo most often practiced together. There are several forms of Mahakala that are Yabyum, of course. So it's seems pretty clear that Enlightened protectors can have consorts.

There are worldly protectors, as well, that have consorts, as noted here. In fact, some worldly protectors have taken practitioners as consorts. That's about all I'll say about the matter.....I'd recommend not messing with Worldly protectors in general, unless you've accomplished the siddhi of your yidam, etc.
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

conebeckham wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:36 pm In Kamtsang Bernakchen and Palden Lhamo most often practiced together. There are several forms of Mahakala that are Yabyum, of course. So it's seems pretty clear that Enlightened protectors can have consorts.

There are worldly protectors, as well, that have consorts, as noted here. In fact, some worldly protectors have taken practitioners as consorts. That's about all I'll say about the matter.....I'd recommend not messing with Worldly protectors in general, unless you've accomplished the siddhi of your yidam, etc.
I wasn't aware of that Mahakala practice. I assume Maning is exempted, being 'gender unified'.
Hmm...did I just invent a new category for gender discrimination activists? :)

Yes, we should have no interaction with any Dharmapala practices unless guided by a Guru we can trust.

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Mantrik wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:58 pm
conebeckham wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:36 pm In Kamtsang Bernakchen and Palden Lhamo most often practiced together. There are several forms of Mahakala that are Yabyum, of course. So it's seems pretty clear that Enlightened protectors can have consorts.

I wasn't aware of that Mahakala practice. I assume Maning is exempted, being 'gender unified'.

Yes, we should have no interaction with any Dharmapala practices unless guided by a Guru we can trust.
Maning here means nondual, not neuter.
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

Malcolm wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:13 pm
Mantrik wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:58 pm

Maning here means nondual, not neuter.
Indeed, which is why I used 'unified'. I'm aware that some use 'neutral' or even worse, 'eunuch'.
Either we say he is neither one gender nor the other, or is both genders unified and therefore neither one nor the other. Are you saying it is nothing to do with gender at all and 'nondual' in another context?

ON p. 128 of Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja, ChNN calls him 'Neuter Mahakala' but I guess it is down to how we interpret that.
Last edited by Mantrik on Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Mantrik wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:27 pmIndeed, which is why I used 'unified'. I'm aware that some use 'neutral' or even worse, 'eunuch'.
Either we say he is neither one gender nor the other, or is both genders unified and therefore neither one nor the other. Are you saying it is nothing to do with gender at all and 'nondual' in another context?
It is all symbolic dude. You haven't learnt that yet?
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

Grigoris wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:31 pm
Mantrik wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:27 pmIndeed, which is why I used 'unified'. I'm aware that some use 'neutral' or even worse, 'eunuch'.
It is all symbolic dude. You haven't learnt that yet?
No. I'm immensely stupid and understand very little, oh Shasana. It has taken me decades to realise that. ;)

Better tell ChNN that using 'Neuter Mahakala' is a sign of ignorance too.

jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

Josef wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:18 am Where did you get the idea that there arent female raksha?
heart wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:38 am Za Rahula have four consorts.

/magnus
afaik this is a Vajrapani Buddha manifestation in the common form of the so called Gyalpos... not in a Raksha form, and there are no females between Gyalpos. Having a retinue is a symbol of power, that's all... this is because among "demons" is all about power and power only, not of moral, gender, rights, etc. the greater power, the happy they are.

forgiveme if i'm wrong.
true dharma is inexpressible.

The bodhisattva nourishes from bodhicitta, through whatever method the Buddha has given him. Oh joy.
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

javier.espinoza.t wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:58 pm
Josef wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:18 am Where did you get the idea that there arent female raksha?

/magnus
afaik this is a Vajrapani Buddha manifestation in the common form of the so called Gyalpos... not in a Raksha form, and there are no females between Gyalpos. Having a retinue is a symbol of power, that's all... this is because among "demons" is all about power and power only, not of moral, gender, rights, etc. the greater power, the happy they are.

forgiveme if i'm wrong.
You are very wide of the mark as far as my own understanding goes. Gyalpo class? Nope - read ChNN's description. His 4 consorts are Rakshasis, invoked, and important.

heart

Post by heart »

javier.espinoza.t wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:58 pm

/magnus

forgiveme if i'm wrong.
I think you are. Za Rahula is not a Gyalpo. He is a high level Bodhisattva and protector of the Dzogchen teachings.

/magnus
~Kurt Vonnegut

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”