How to NOT annoy the guru?

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Tenma

How to NOT annoy the guru?

Post by Tenma »

So how does one NOT annoy their guru exactly when one has many questions(whether it be over practices, understanding the teachings, etc.) and their guru is busy? Anyone?
Lobsang Chojor

Re: How to NOT annoy the guru?

Post by Lobsang Chojor »

Tenma wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:46 pm So how does one NOT annoy their guru exactly when one has many questions(whether it be over practices, understanding the teachings, etc.) and their guru is busy? Anyone?
I have felt the same and what I find works is ask them about one teaching and a practice question then go an apply the teachings.
"Morality does not become pure unless darkness is dispelled by the light of wisdom"
  • Aryasura, Paramitasamasa 6.5
ༀ་ཨ་ར་པ་ཙ་ན་དྷཱི༔ Oṃ A Ra Pa Ca Na Dhīḥ
Tenma

Post by Tenma »

Lobsang Chojor wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:07 pm
Tenma wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:46 pm So how does one NOT annoy their guru exactly when one has many questions(whether it be over practices, understanding the teachings, etc.) and their guru is busy? Anyone?
I have felt the same and what I find works is ask them about one teaching and a practice question then go an apply the teachings.
How about when trying to find the time to ask him about how to purify oneself of the anger of spirits such as nagas?
Lobsang Chojor

Post by Lobsang Chojor »

Tenma wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:54 pm How about when trying to find the time to ask him about how to purify oneself of the anger of spirits such as nagas?
Just ask him, genuine practice questions about your issues will please him, it's all in your head about annoying your guru in my experience.

Before you ask him, think about it though, how have you angered the nagas?
"Morality does not become pure unless darkness is dispelled by the light of wisdom"
  • Aryasura, Paramitasamasa 6.5
ༀ་ཨ་ར་པ་ཙ་ན་དྷཱི༔ Oṃ A Ra Pa Ca Na Dhīḥ
Tenma

Post by Tenma »

Lobsang Chojor wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:50 am
Tenma wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:54 pm How about when trying to find the time to ask him about how to purify oneself of the anger of spirits such as nagas?
Just ask him, genuine practice questions about your issues will please him, it's all in your head about annoying your guru in my experience.

Wrong days, some pretty unreasonable requests to curse rivals/enemies, reciting mantras without empowerment, insulting garudas(well maybe this one insulted more of the fliers than the slitherens), wrong offerings, etc.
amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc »

Tenma wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:59 am

Wrong days, some pretty unreasonable requests to curse rivals/enemies, reciting mantras without empowerment, insulting garudas(well maybe this one insulted more of the fliers than the slitherens), wrong offerings, etc.
So you did these practices in anger, to punish some humans you don't like?
You might want to study and make part of yourself the 4 thoughts that
turn the mind.
You might tell your Lama just what you said above and see what he says.
Josef

Post by Josef »

By cultivating bodhicitta and following his/her instructions.
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
climb-up

Post by climb-up »

I don't think this is a genuinely answerable question.

It's the same as asking, "How do you interact with a person without annoying them?"
There might be some general guidelines, but the answer will depend on the individual, and the circumstances and yourself, etc. etc.

It seems like the way forward is to receive the teachings and practice them to the best of your ability and to ask the questions you have as respectfully as you can.
If you end up annoying your teacher then learn from that, make amends or apologies of necessary/appropriate, and continue on your path.
"Death's second name is 'omnipresent.' On the relative truth it seems we become separate. But on the absolute there is no separation." Lama Dawa
Vasana

Post by Vasana »

How is cursing rivals and having enemies Buddhist?
Just practice well and connect with the guardian's of your lineage. Pray to Tara, Guru rinpoche for the dispelling of obstacles. It can be that simple if you're open to that possibility.

Don't fixate yourself with trying to placate the Nagas by yourself unless you have consistently definite signs of their interference and you have learnt enough about the correct way of practicing not to create any more of these problems for yourself. Learn to distinguish between your own fears and fantasies from signs of practice. Sometimes they are connected and we are often harmed more by our own anticipation of harm than any harm it's self.

You can also try simply apologizing if you think they are present. Its your attitude that is important. You practice Chod? That can also help but I wouldn't recommend delving there until you have established a correct view and way of relating to all of this which it seems at present you have not. I hope you have learnt by now that this is not all a game and that you need to actually know what you're doing before going out and doing it.

Also - instead of asking your teacher a hundred obscure questions I think they would be most pleased if you made even an inch of further cultivation in things like Bodhichitta and meditation. Obviously some questions are worthy of asking bu ehrn you have a backlog of questions, take a step back to consider what areas of fixations your your questions are revealing. Don't loose sight of the essential.
'When thoughts arise, recognise them clearly as your teacher'— Gampopa
'When alone, examine your mind, when among others, examine your speech'.— Atisha
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

I never saw my guru being annoyed due to lack of time.
He get's annoyed slightly when the question reveals that the questioner has not understood anything of what he was teaching for months.
Or he also seems to be discontent as soon as I'm too fond of myself. He dislikes arrogance and superiority complexes.
But in summary it is impossible to annoy him in longterm. He loves it, when we only try to apply his teachings.
fckw

Post by fckw »

Vasana wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:23 am How is cursing rivals and having enemies Buddhist?
You should read more. There are plenty of Buddhist tantras giving spells and advice how to curse, kill etc. Of course, successful application presumes you are indeed a practitioner of the tantric vehicle. Which presumes you have the right view as well as samayas.
Vasana

Post by Vasana »

fckw wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:37 am
Vasana wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:23 am How is cursing rivals and having enemies Buddhist?
You should read more. There are plenty of Buddhist tantras giving spells and advice how to curse, kill etc. Of course, successful application presumes you are indeed a practitioner of the tantric vehicle. Which presumes you have the right view as well as samayas.
' Enemies' of the doctrine are not the same as enemies driven by the 8 worldly winds. To do anything purely driven by one's own self interest contravenes Mahayana.
'When thoughts arise, recognise them clearly as your teacher'— Gampopa
'When alone, examine your mind, when among others, examine your speech'.— Atisha
Josef

Post by Josef »

Vasana wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:41 am
' Enemies' of the doctrine are not the same as enemies driven by the 8 worldly winds. To do anything purely driven by one's own self interest contravenes Mahayana.
True.
Also many of the "enemies" are not the sentient beings involved, but rather their inner enemies, their afflictions that are generating negativity.
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

Josef wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:29 pm
Vasana wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:41 am
True.
Also many of the "enemies" are not the sentient beings involved, but rather their inner enemies, their afflictions that are generating negativity.
That's right.
There is much symbolism in those scriptures. It's better to have them explained by a Lama than reading alone and misunderstand.
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

Why not just spend your time doing vajrasattva, lojong, mandala offerings, Tara and/or all the many other practices that entail no particular risk, purify negative karma and/or are general remedies for errors?

Then save your limited time with your guru for asking for advice on practice - not on asking him how to remedy things you shouldn’t have been doing in the first place
Josef

Post by Josef »

PeterC wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:29 am

Why not just spend your time doing vajrasattva, lojong, mandala offerings, Tara and/or all the many other practices that entail no particular risk, purify negative karma and/or are general remedies for errors?

Then save your limited time with your guru for asking for advice on practice - not on asking him how to remedy things you shouldn’t have been doing in the first place
Good advice Peter.
A great way to avoid "annoying the teacher" is by actually practicing dharma.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Lobsang Chojor wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:07 pm
^^^This^^^ and the advice by PeterC.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”