Dzigar Kongtrul Rinpoche

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Post Reply
mandog
Posts: 40
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:10 pm

Dzigar Kongtrul Rinpoche

Post by mandog » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:15 pm

I am considering joining this Dzigar Kongtrul Rinpoce's sangha. My impression of him is that he is a genuine teacher, but there are some stories about him sleeping with students mentioned on this website that do not give me confidence (obviously, I do not know if these stories are true or not). Anyhow, It would be helpful to know of people's experiences with this lama before I pursue a deeper relationship with him.

User avatar
justsit
Posts: 945
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:24 pm
Location: Delaware

Re: Dzigar Kongtrul Rinpoche

Post by justsit » Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:16 am

My one experience with him dates to 2010, when I attended a weekend event where he hosted Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche Yangsi at Pema Osel in Vermont. The teachings seemed very traditional and orthodox, and he explained some difficult concepts very clearly. The sangha members seemed to be serious students, very friendly. His wife and son are also teachers. I couldn't find any info on scandals on this site or a google search.

Proceed with caution, no matter where you look.

mandog
Posts: 40
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:10 pm

Re: Dzigar Kongtrul Rinpoche

Post by mandog » Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:11 am

I think the info I'm referencing is buried at the end of one of the Sogyal Rinpoche megathreads.

mandog
Posts: 40
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:10 pm

Re: Dzigar Kongtrul Rinpoche

Post by mandog » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:02 pm

Yes, the details are in the post from "Greg"

viewtopic.php?t=16088&start=100

User avatar
Aryjna
Posts: 1103
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:45 pm

Re: Dzigar Kongtrul Rinpoche

Post by Aryjna » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:54 pm

mandog wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:02 pm
Yes, the details are in the post from "Greg"

viewtopic.php?t=16088&start=100
There don't really seem to be any details. Unless that large article pasted is about him specifically, but it doesn't look like it unless I missed something.

mandog
Posts: 40
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:10 pm

Re: Dzigar Kongtrul Rinpoche

Post by mandog » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:57 pm

It is about him. There are identifying details in the article that one who is familiar with his sangha can pick up on. Also, In the original thread, Malcolm posted this link which clearly links the author to Kongtrul Rinpoche's sangha.

https://archive.li/Go0ik

User avatar
justsit
Posts: 945
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:24 pm
Location: Delaware

Re: Dzigar Kongtrul Rinpoche

Post by justsit » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:48 pm

mandog wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:57 pm
It is about him. There are identifying details in the article that one who is familiar with his sangha can pick up on. Also, In the original thread, Malcolm posted this link which clearly links the author to Kongtrul Rinpoche's sangha.

https://archive.li/Go0ik
That link goes to a page about a translators program. Not sure how that is relevant?

I read through the other links, a bit quickly, but still haven't seen anything implicating Dzigar Kongtrul. The negative comments I saw were referencing Sogyal Rinpoche.

Just curious - how do you know about the "identifying details"?

In any case, if you feel a high level of concern about DKR's behavior, perhaps you should look elsewhere.

mandog
Posts: 40
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:10 pm

Re: Dzigar Kongtrul Rinpoche

Post by mandog » Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:59 am

justsit wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:48 pm
mandog wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:57 pm
It is about him. There are identifying details in the article that one who is familiar with his sangha can pick up on. Also, In the original thread, Malcolm posted this link which clearly links the author to Kongtrul Rinpoche's sangha.

https://archive.li/Go0ik
That link goes to a page about a translators program. Not sure how that is relevant?

I read through the other links, a bit quickly, but still haven't seen anything implicating Dzigar Kongtrul. The negative comments I saw were referencing Sogyal Rinpoche.

Just curious - how do you know about the "identifying details"?

In any case, if you feel a high level of concern about DKR's behavior, perhaps you should look elsewhere.
The name of the contact person for the translator program listed on the link is the same as the name of the person who posted their story on https://buddhism-controversy-blog.com/. Malcolm clearly posted it because he googled the poster's name and found it listed on Mangala Shri Bhuti's web site.This is not so hard to figure out if you read things closely.

Just want to clarify, I have no personal stake in this, no grudge against DKR (I think he is a good teacher), I'm just trying to do my due diligence.

Post Reply

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”