Am I meditating correctly?

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Hamza

Am I meditating correctly?

Post by Hamza » Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:41 am

Hello,

This might be a very basic question but this has me so confused that I've stopped meditating completely and wish to get back into it very soon.

So I've been meditating for the past 3 years largely through focusing on the breath, and open awareness (where I focus on anything that shows up and disappears in consciousness, such as sounds, smells, thoughts, and move from object to object) and sometimes walking meditation.

Out of all these types of meditations, the open awareness comes most naturally to me and its the "easiest" for me to do. However, since there has been so much focus on the breathing mediation from people around me and since I find the breathing meditation less pleasant/harder to do, I get the experience that the open awareness meditation is too "easy" for me to even be a form of meditation and I also find it much different than the breathing meditation and "feels" less like a

My question: Is the open awareness meditation I described just as a potent/good form of meditation as the breathing one?

In addition, I've recently been doing another form of meditation which I learned from Orgyen Chowang Rinpoche's book, Our Pristine Mind:
In this meditation, I just remain aware in the present moment - not following the past, not anticipating the future and leaving my mind alone, not focusing on any objects. I really like this form of meditation as well and its similar to the open awareness one.

Is it perfectly fine for me to do just these 2 forms of meditations and not do the breathing meditation?

If the answer is yes - as long as I am aware of any practice I am doing, that would be considered meditation in this sense, correct? What would not constitute to be meditation in the Buddhist sense?

Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Re: Am I meditating correctly?

Post by Johnny Dangerous » Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:47 am

The meditation you prefer is fine, it is just shamatha without an object. It can become more, but that's what it is. I couldn't meditate with an object for about the first 3 years of meditating, it just didn't work, but meditating without one worked fine. After a few years and lots of guidance from teachers and mentors, I experimented with working on my concentration and went back to meditation focused on an object periodically, but generally prefer to not have one. Additionally, this experience got me interested in Dzogchen specifically as a path, so it may be worth your time to look into some instruction, as only a trusted teacher can truly tell you what is "right". I know Orygen Chowang makes the rounds, I saw him a few years back and liked his presentation of things.
"it must be coming from the mouthy mastermind of raunchy rapper, Johnny Dangerous”

-Jeff H.

philji

Post by philji » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:50 am

They both sound good to me. The open awareness practice is taught a lot by Mingyur Rinpoche as a pre cursor to mahamudra/ Dzogchen practice later on. There is nothing special about the breath..simply a support.

Crazywisdom

Post by Crazywisdom » Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:13 am

What you are describing is an upadesha method; so you have to consult the master who gave you empowerment. If you are trying to vibe off a book, I’m afraid you are wasting your precious time.
Vajra Killah Killallaya

The criticisms of others are like wrathful mantras. Fast purification. Welcome it. -can’t remember who

Hamza

Post by Hamza » Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:57 am

Johnny Dangerous wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:47 am
The meditation you prefer is fine, it is just shamatha without an object. It can become more, but that's what it is. I couldn't meditate with an object for about the first 3 years of meditating, it just didn't work, but meditating without one worked fine. After a few years and lots of guidance from teachers and mentors, I experimented with working on my concentration and went back to meditation focused on an object periodically, but generally prefer to not have one. Additionally, this experience got me interested in Dzogchen specifically as a path, so it may be worth your time to look into some instruction, as only a trusted teacher can truly tell you what is "right". I know Orygen Chowang makes the rounds, I saw him a few years back and liked his presentation of things.
Thank you for your reply. I am very interested in learning Dzogchen, is there any possibility I can do this without physically meeting a teacher? I can't afford to travel to meet teachers overseas.

Also to my original post, what do you think would not consist of meditating at all, anything where I'm not aware and lost in thought?

Hamza

Post by Hamza » Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:58 am

philji wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:50 am
They both sound good to me. The open awareness practice is taught a lot by Mingyur Rinpoche as a pre cursor to mahamudra/ Dzogchen practice later on. There is nothing special about the breath..simply a support.
Thank you for your reply. I am very interested in learning Dzogchen and a big fan of Mingyur Rinpoche, is there any possibility I can learn Dzogchen without physically meeting a teacher? I can't afford to travel to meet teachers overseas.

Also to my original post, what do you think would not consist of meditating - anything where I'm not aware and lost in thought?

Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous » Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:55 am

Hamza wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:57 am
Johnny Dangerous wrote:
Thank you for your reply. I am very interested in learning Dzogchen, is there any possibility I can do this without physically meeting a teacher? I can't afford to travel to meet teachers overseas.

Also to my original post, what do you think would not consist of meditating at all, anything where I'm not aware and lost in thought?
Check out Chogyal Namkhai Norbu's Open Webcast, coming up in August I believe. My bias is with him, but there are a number of fantastic Dzogchen teachers (both Bonpo and Buddhist) who offer online programs of one kind of or another.
"it must be coming from the mouthy mastermind of raunchy rapper, Johnny Dangerous”

-Jeff H.

Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous » Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:59 am

Johnny Dangerous wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:55 am
Hamza wrote:
Johnny Dangerous wrote:

Check out Chogyal Namkhai Norbu's Open Webcast, coming up in August I believe. My bias is with him, but there are a number of fantastic Dzogchen teachers (both Bonpo and Buddhist) who offer online programs of one kind of or another.
Complicated one, and part of why it would be good to establish some of kind of relationship with a teacher who you can go to for advice, or consistently receive advice from somehow. In my experience learning to recognize when you become lost is itself an extremely deep practice, maybe even one of the most important ones, maybe -the- pratice, I don't know. However, I think you really need some kind of structured guidance to explore further..even if it's someone you follow from afar, a consistent voice that is on your frequency makes all the difference.

-Jeff H.

haha

Post by haha » Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:08 pm

@Hamza
You can cross check your understanding by reading more books on similar topic, listening to the lectures, consulting with masters, or discussing with those who know at least something in this matter. Fifty years ago you might have only one option to cross check.

Here are the links of Mingyur Rinpoche’s meditation instruction on one Kagyu monlam which might be helpful to you. First and second videos are related with mindfulness and third with mahamudra (basic instructions).
Meditation Instructions with Mingyur Rinpoche 1/3
Meditation Instructions with Mingyur Rinpoche 2/3
Meditation Instructions with Mingyur Rinpoche 3/3

Yes, following the Chogyal Namkhai Norbu's Open Webcast will definitely bring incomparable benefit if you are interested.

In this world hatred never ceases with hatred
With non hatred it ceases, this is the ancient lore.

Upakilesasuttaṃ

Hamza

Post by Hamza » Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:18 am

haha wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:08 pm
@Hamza
You can cross check your understanding by reading more books on similar topic, listening to the lectures, consulting with masters, or discussing with those who know at least something in this matter. Fifty years ago you might have only one option to cross check.

Here are the links of Mingyur Rinpoche’s meditation instruction on one Kagyu monlam which might be helpful to you. First and second videos are related with mindfulness and third with mahamudra (basic instructions).
Meditation Instructions with Mingyur Rinpoche 1/3
Meditation Instructions with Mingyur Rinpoche 2/3
Meditation Instructions with Mingyur Rinpoche 3/3

Yes, following the Chogyal Namkhai Norbu's Open Webcast will definitely bring incomparable benefit if you are interested.
Thank you very much for your links! I will check them out.

Regarding Chogyal Namkhai Norbu's Open Webcast, does he give out pointing out instructions on it? that is what I'm looking for as I physically can't meet with a teacher/master at this time.

Hamza

Post by Hamza » Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:19 am

Johnny Dangerous wrote:
Hamza wrote:
Johnny Dangerous wrote:

Okay thank you, on his open webcast, does he give out pointing out instructions? Those are what I'm looking for

haha

Post by haha » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:23 am

There is no Dzogchen without the pointing out. If one does not understand the essential point of dzogchen, then there is no further proceeding for enhancement. Definitely, CNNR will clarify many points. Don't miss the opportunity.

Once I acted as a parrot for morning and evening, but it changed after listening to him few times.

In this world hatred never ceases with hatred
With non hatred it ceases, this is the ancient lore.

Upakilesasuttaṃ

Josef

Post by Josef » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:30 am

Hamza wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:19 am
Johnny Dangerous wrote:
Hamza wrote:

Okay thank you, on his open webcast, does he give out pointing out instructions? Those are what I'm looking for
Yes.
Kye ma!
The river of continuity is marked by impermanence.
Ceaseless flowing of appearance.
Beautiful and repulsive.
The dance of life and death is a display of the vast expanse.
With gratitude the watcher and the watched pass through the barrier of duality.

Hamza

Post by Hamza » Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:46 am

Josef wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:30 am
Hamza wrote:
Johnny Dangerous wrote:

Yes.
Hi again, do you know when and where the webcast is? I can't seem to find it

amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:25 am

Hamza wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:46 am
Josef wrote:
Hamza wrote:

Yes.
Chokyi Nyima Rinpoche can point you in the right direction.

Hamza

Post by Hamza » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:02 am

amanitamusc wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:25 am
Hamza wrote:
Josef wrote:

Yes.
Where/when is his online transmission though??

amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:44 am

Hamza wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:02 am
amanitamusc wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:25 am
Hamza wrote:

Where/when is his online transmission though??
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=29132

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”