Strategies for Keeping Practice in the West

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Strategies for Keeping Practice in the West

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

Crazywisdom wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:35 pm We should have a thread about strategies for keeping practice in while struggling along in the West.
Based on the quote above, what strategies are there, what are you using, which can you recommend?
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
Natan

Re: Strategies for Keeping Practice in the West

Post by Natan »

I gave details in prior thread. Can that be quoted here?
Vajra fangs deliver vajra venom to your Mara body.
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Crazywisdom wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:47 pm I gave details in prior thread. Can that be quoted here?
Go for it. Just copy paste the quote.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
Natan

Post by Natan »

For example,

In a way what we are doing is solving a professional problem. What I did, and I spend most hours in a day in practice somehow, was: find methods with samayas that promise very swift liberation, like Drolod or Guhyagarbha wrathful mandala, Chetsün Nyingthig, etc., practice them in short and intense 24/h reteats; I have a professional education so I situated myself to make maximum profits with minimal time mainly by delegating; so I work one or two hours a day, usually less; learned this market gambling so I can work even less; got an open minded consort; I have an apartment perfectly situated for certain methods; and I almost never leave; learn to be super well budgeted. That’s about it.
Vajra fangs deliver vajra venom to your Mara body.
Tlalok

Post by Tlalok »

Crazywisdom wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:59 pm For example,

In a way what we are doing is solving a professional problem. What I did, and I spend most hours in a day in practice somehow, was: find methods with samayas that promise very swift liberation, like Drolod or Guhyagarbha wrathful mandala, Chetsün Nyingthig, etc., practice them in short and intense 24/h reteats; I have a professional education so I situated myself to make maximum profits with minimal time mainly by delegating; so I work one or two hours a day, usually less; learned this market gambling so I can work even less; got an open minded consort; I have an apartment perfectly situated for certain methods; and I almost never leave; learn to be super well budgeted. That’s about it.
This is almost exactly like my situation if you trade out almost all references to buddhist practice with video games. I just try to take it a day at a time with an essential daily practice (ngondro).
Punya

Post by Punya »

Make a commitment to your teacher to do a certain amount of practice each day.

Then no matter how you unwell you feel, no matter how little time you think you have, no matter how busy at work you think you are, somehow you find the time. Some provisos, of course, but for most of us this is all that's needed.
We abide nowhere. We possess nothing.
~Chatral Rinpoche
Kris

Post by Kris »

Miroku wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:39 pm
Crazywisdom wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:35 pm We should have a thread about strategies for keeping practice in while struggling along in the West.
Based on the quote above, what strategies are there, what are you using, which can you recommend?
Keep the Guru on the crown, enjoy the practice without any expectations.
The profound path of the master.
-- Virūpa, Vajra Lines
MiphamFan

Post by MiphamFan »

Langlab Changchub Dorje was a poor shepherd who looked after someone else's flock. He still managed to beat Ra Lotsawa.

I honestly feel overwhelmed by a lot of the elaborate sadhanas and wonder when, if ever, I can have the opportunity to learn them in depth. Fortunately, there are plenty of short sadhanas that are complete and can be used to fulfill nyenpa.

I have a reasonably stable job which I don't find very stressful. But I feel that I have to upgrade my skills to prepare for the future of disruption.
fckw

Post by fckw »

Don't do more practice but just increase the quality of your practice.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

If one's job creates merit, then more than half your practice is already done for the day. From there on all you need to do is keep your samaya.

Realistically, how many of us are going to reach enlightenment in this life?

So, if you want to hedge your bets (you listening CW? :tongue: ) then generating merit is the way to go right now. If you have time to develop wisdom too, well that is great. I think somebody once mentioned three hours a day of "practice", minimum for results in this lifetime?
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
shaunc

Post by shaunc »

Just about anything we do in daily life can be considered practice if approached with the right mindset.
Aryjna

Post by Aryjna »

The question refers to intense formal practice. It is true of course that you can always practice in daily life, but your daily life practice is much weaker if you have not increased your capacity for daily life practice through intense formal practice.
Kris

Post by Kris »

Proper preparation prevents poor performance.
The profound path of the master.
-- Virūpa, Vajra Lines
weitsicht

Post by weitsicht »

Strategies for keeping practice in the west:
I find that topic quite lame.
I believe that the dharma finds its own ways to express and is better left alone of good intentions.
Grigoris wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:15 am I think somebody once mentioned three hours a day of "practice", minimum for results in this lifetime?
And Dream Yoga counts in that?
Shaunc wrote:Just about anything we do in daily life can be considered practice if approached with the right mindset.
I totally share that view.
Me pursuing my job is a way of sharing that little dharmic insight I have with others through my body, speech, and mind.

What sense does meditation have if not tested against perceived reality (like being called by mom or dissed by a colleauge)?

This being said, I also do my way of gambling with the stock market and expect to retire early through a frugal lifestyle in combination with the former. I am however not too sure which karma that accumulates. Following diversification my asset gains probably are not 100% ethically clean.
Ho! All the possible appearances and existences of samsara and nirvana have the same source, yet two paths and two results arise as the magical display of awareness and unawareness.
HO NANG SRI KHOR DAE THAMCHE KUN ZHI CHIG LAM NYI DRAE BU NYI RIG DANG MA RIG CHOM THRUL TE
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

weitsicht wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:13 pmAnd Dream Yoga counts in that?
I see no reason why it wouldn't. Thing is: Will you be doing dream yoga or will you just be dreaming? Dream yoga is so easy and yet so difficult...

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Grigoris wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:15 am If one's job creates merit, then more than half your practice is already done for the day. From there on all you need to do is keep your samaya.

Realistically, how many of us are going to reach enlightenment in this life?

So, if you want to hedge your bets (you listening CW? :tongue: ) then generating merit is the way to go right now. If you have time to develop wisdom too, well that is great. I think somebody once mentioned three hours a day of "practice", minimum for results in this lifetime?
Heh, not listening to CW. I am no gambler and have zero idea how money works. I am afraid normal daily job is the way for me. :D

Three hours? That seems doable.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
Aryjna

Post by Aryjna »

weitsicht wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:13 pm
Shaunc wrote:Just about anything we do in daily life can be considered practice if approached with the right mindset.
I totally share that view.
Me pursuing my job is a way of sharing that little dharmic insight I have with others through my body, speech, and mind.

What sense does meditation have if not tested against perceived reality (like being called by mom or dissed by a colleauge)?
Some, if not most, of the most prominent masters of Dzogchen do not share that view though. Also, you do not have to live a worldly life in order to have your realization tested against various circumstances.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Aryjna wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:29 pmSome, if not most, of the most prominent masters of Dzogchen do not share that view though. Also, you do not have to live a worldly life in order to have your realization tested against various circumstances.
The view that practice is not just the time you put in on the pillow?

Aryjna

Post by Aryjna »

Grigoris wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:34 pm
Aryjna wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:29 pmSome, if not most, of the most prominent masters of Dzogchen do not share that view though. Also, you do not have to live a worldly life in order to have your realization tested against various circumstances.
The view that practice is not just the time you put in on the pillow?
The view that if you practice during daily life you do not need many hours of formal practice as well. It goes without saying that you should always be practicing during other activities.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Aryjna wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:37 pmThe view that if you practice during daily life you do not need many hours of formal practice as well. It goes without saying that you should always be practicing during other activities.
If, when one is introduced to the nature of mind they "get it" and can "maintain it", of what value is formal practice?

Granted this is a HUGE "if".

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”