Advice on thangka

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
KiwiNFLFan

Advice on thangka

Post by KiwiNFLFan »

I'm looking to get a thangka of Tara to put in my small Buddhist shrine. I found this one on AliExpress. I'd just like to make sure it actually is a Tara thangka and whether it is White Tara or Green Tara (the description says Green Tara but it looks more like White Tara).
Aryjna

Re: Advice on thangka

Post by Aryjna »

Well, she is white so she is not Green Tara. I dont know if this site is considered reliable or not, but there are other reliable options.
Josef

Post by Josef »

KiwiNFLFan wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:33 am I'm looking to get a thangka of Tara to put in my small Buddhist shrine. I found this one on AliExpress. I'd just like to make sure it actually is a Tara thangka and whether it is White Tara or Green Tara (the description says Green Tara but it looks more like White Tara).
It’s listed as the wrong deity and is less than $10.
This is not going to be a quality representation.
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
yan kong

Post by yan kong »

I would invest in something and if you can't afford that then maybe a high quality print out of something to that effect.
"Meditation is a spiritual exercise, not a therapeutic regime... Our intention is to enter Nirvana, not to make life in Samsara more tolerable." Chan Master Hsu Yun
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

Where would you guys shop for thangkas or statues?
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
practitioner

Post by practitioner »

Miroku wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:03 pm Where would you guys shop for thangkas or statues?
NamseBangdzo.com
One should do nothing other than benefit sentient beings either directly or indirectly - Shantideva
Tenma

Post by Tenma »

KiwiNFLFan wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:33 am I'm looking to get a thangka of Tara to put in my small Buddhist shrine. I found this one on AliExpress. I'd just like to make sure it actually is a Tara thangka and whether it is White Tara or Green Tara (the description says Green Tara but it looks more like White Tara).
This is definitely White Tara. There are eyes on her hands and feet if you look closely.
KiwiNFLFan

Post by KiwiNFLFan »

I thought it was White Tara. I think I'll get it - I like the representation of Tara on it. It comes from China so it may well have been made in Tibet. There are no online Buddhist stores in New Zealand, and one that I've found in Australia that will ship to NZ doesn't have any Tara thangkas.
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

White Tara.
Aliexpress is a great source for Buddhist items as they sell at sensible prices. You will see the same goods pop up on Ebay as 'antiques' for ten times the prices they charge.
Sometimes you have to buy a minimum quantity, but I've ordered several statues and they arrived just fine in the UK.
http://www.khyung.com ཁྲོཾ

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”