Proper manipulation of sexual energy.

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Individual

Proper manipulation of sexual energy.

Post by Individual »

I know this is supposed to be secret, but I will ask anyway.

Let's say that a certain bodhisattva is bursting with sexual energy, at times. "Sexual energy," is the right term because it's not quite the same thing as sexual arousal. It's like sexual arousal, but it's a very subtle, subconscious thing that pervades everyday life, whereas sexual arousal is something that happens in response to a particular stimuli.

Symptoms: A feeling of warm pleasure throughout the entire body, feelings of masculinity, strength, power, virility, violence, dark energy; like testosterone. At times, this feeling manifests as a solid, tightly-packed ball in the center of the abdomen (not the same thing as anxiety -- anxiety sits higher up, in the chest -- this sits in the stomach). It even feels a bit uncomfortable, like somebody shoved a cannonball in your stomach, and you're walking around with it, stuck inside your dantian. It's a big ball of hateful and violent sexual desire. You want to beat somebody up or have sex, because the ball of energy is there and it's just so strong. When the opposite sex is teased, this energy grows. The energy allows for greater concentration, for exercise or for mindfulness, but it can also feel like a drunken stupor. Also, another important thing to remember is that there is never a loss of control or a loss of consciousness; there are never any grossly immoral or harmful sexual behaviors.

Now, here's my question: How does one manipulate this energy positively?

Some possibilities:
  • Direct it to my limbs, letting it leave the body
  • Dissolve it in the abdomen
  • Consolidate it in the abdomen, making it grow and grow (making the ball bigger and denser)
  • Release it through wholesome activities (exercise, cleaning, etc.).
  • Do nothing. Simply be mindful of it, acting skillfully, allowing the feeling to pass.
I suppose I should also mention that when reflecting on emptiness, sometimes I have a choking feeling of breathlessness and lifelessness. And the ball mentioned above feels more like a black hole, pit of quick sand, a sink or toilet draining, etc..
ground

Re: Proper manipulation of sexual energy.

Post by ground »

"One attached is unreleased; one unattached is released. Should consciousness, when standing, stand attached to (a physical) form, supported by form (as its object),[1] landing on form, watered with delight, it would exhibit growth, increase, & proliferation.

"Should consciousness, when standing, stand attached to feeling, supported by feeling (as its object), landing on feeling, watered with delight, it would exhibit growth, increase, & proliferation.

"Should consciousness, when standing, stand attached to perception, supported by perception (as its object), landing on perception, watered with delight, it would exhibit growth, increase, & proliferation.

"Should consciousness, when standing, stand attached to fabrications, supported by fabrications (as its object), landing on fabrications, watered with delight, it would exhibit growth, increase, & proliferation.

"Were someone to say, 'I will describe a coming, a going, a passing away, an arising, a growth, an increase, or a proliferation of consciousness apart from form, from feeling, from perception, from fabrications,' that would be impossible.

"If a monk abandons passion for the property of form...

"If a monk abandons passion for the property of feeling...

"If a monk abandons passion for the property of perception...

"If a monk abandons passion for the property of fabrications...

"If a monk abandons passion for the property of consciousness, then owing to the abandonment of passion, the support is cut off, and there is no landing of consciousness. Consciousness, thus not having landed, not increasing, not concocting, is released. Owing to its release, it is steady. Owing to its steadiness, it is contented. Owing to its contentment, it is not agitated. Not agitated, he (the monk) is totally unbound right within. He discerns that 'Birth is ended, the holy life fulfilled, the task done. There is nothing further for this world.'"

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Kind regards
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

Individual-
Anyone who even has the capacity to answer your questions, or address this issue, in a public internet forum, would be breaking samaya.

I like TMingyur's response...there's much to reflect on.
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
heart

Post by heart »

http://www.amazon.com/Secret-Teachings- ... 1590307747" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”