Dream of being Hayagriva

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
fckw

Dream of being Hayagriva

Post by fckw »

This night I dreamt I was Hayagriva. I was very wrathful, and I was continuously repeating his mantra as my natural speech. In the dream I was climbing a tree, and I was fighting against beings trying to follow me. Now, I have only read about Hayagriva but never received any transmission. He is one of the many yidams I always felt particularly drawn to, but dreaming that I am him is new to me. Also, I cannot recall of other dreams where I was a/the yidam myself.

Does any one know of any trustworthy teacher who regularly gives a transmission? Also, does anyone know of some good literature on this yidam (in any lineage)?
Natan

Re: Dream of being Hayagriva

Post by Natan »

That’s a good dream. Hayagriva is usually associated with higher level stuff. Most lineages have this. There’s a good Dudjom lineage for extremely wrathful black Hayagriva. Many others.
Vajra fangs deliver vajra venom to your Mara body.
haha

Post by haha »

I remembered I received it from one Sakya lama very long ago. There is a practice in Gelug: Most Secret Hayagriva. Probably, a year ago, HH Dalai Lama had given it as Anuttara Deity. It is a protector deity of Sera Je Monastery. Check out it in FPMT centers.
Motova

Post by Motova »

fckw wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:39 pm This night I dreamt I was Hayagriva. I was very wrathful, and I was continuously repeating his mantra as my natural speech. In the dream I was climbing a tree, and I was fighting against beings trying to follow me. Now, I have only read about Hayagriva but never received any transmission. He is one of the many yidams I always felt particularly drawn to, but dreaming that I am him is new to me. Also, I cannot recall of other dreams where I was a/the yidam myself.

Does any one know of any trustworthy teacher who regularly gives a transmission? Also, does anyone know of some good literature on this yidam (in any lineage)?
Aren't you a student of ChNNR? Hayagriva, Vajrapani, Vajrakiliya, and Garuda are combined in Guru Dragphur in the Tun Book.
To become a rain man one must master the ten virtues and sciences.
Aryjna

Post by Aryjna »

I think there is also a separate Hayagriva empowerment in the Longchen Nyingthik.

As a side-note, I am under the impression that it is not very good to talk about such dreams in public, but I could be wrong.
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

Aryjna wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:09 pm As a side-note, I am under the impression that it is not very good to talk about such dreams in public, but I could be wrong.
yeah, according to ChNN and DKR at least, one should keep experiences on deities to oneself, this are secret stuff pointed to you.

going around telling them is cause for them to not happen again.

that I remember.
true dharma is inexpressible.

The bodhisattva nourishes from bodhicitta, through whatever method the Buddha has given him. Oh joy.
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

That reminds me of a joke I told years ago, while on retreat, after several days of practice..

"Knock knock"
"Who's there?"
"Hiya!"
"Hiya who?"

"Hayagriva!"

Yeah, I was sleep deprived. :shrug:
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
treehuggingoctopus

Post by treehuggingoctopus »

fckw wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:39 pm This night I dreamt I was Hayagriva. I was very wrathful, and I was continuously repeating his mantra as my natural speech. In the dream I was climbing a tree, and I was fighting against beings trying to follow me. Now, I have only read about Hayagriva but never received any transmission. He is one of the many yidams I always felt particularly drawn to, but dreaming that I am him is new to me. Also, I cannot recall of other dreams where I was a/the yidam myself.

Lopon Ogyan Tanzin Rinpoche gave the Tamdrin Yangthrö (Dudjom Tersar Black Hayagriva) teachings last year in Germany: viewtopic.php?t=25256 If you live in Europe, you might get a chance next year. If you are not in Europe, you may want to consider getting LOTR to your place. Very much recommended.
Générosité de l’invisible.
Notre gratitude est infinie.
Le critère est l’hospitalité.

Edmond Jabès
Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows »

I was continuously repeating his mantra
I have only read about Hayagriva but never received any transmission
How do you know you were reciting his mantra?
Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows »

There has to be someone on this board who knows how to interpret dreams...
Palzang Jangchub

Post by Palzang Jangchub »

Hayagriva (Tamdrin to Tibetans) features heavily in the Yangzab terma cycle held in Drikung Kagyu, being the yidam of the Yangzab Three Roots.

Do you remember your color(s), attributes, and the actual mantra from your dream, @fckw? Those details could help you narrow down which precise form you're looking for.

Otherwise i would research how prevalent Hayagriva is in the various lineages you may feel connected with, if any. From there you can make an informed decision.

"The Sutras, Tantras, and Philosophical Scriptures are great in number. However life is short, and intelligence is limited, so it's hard to cover them completely. You may know a lot, but if you don't put it into practice, it's like dying of thirst on the shore of a great lake. Likewise, a common corpse is found in the bed of a great scholar." ~ Karma Chagme

དྲིན་ཆེན་རྩ་བའི་བླ་མ་སྐྱབས་རྗེ་མགར་ཆེན་ཁྲི་སྤྲུལ་རིན་པོ་ཆེ་ཁྱེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ།།
རྗེ་བཙུན་བླ་མ་མཁས་གྲུབ་ཀརྨ་ཆགས་མེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ། ཀརྨ་པ་མཁྱེན་ནོཿ
haha

Post by haha »

I would like to know this hayagriva belong to which lineage. It was completely green, like Sandalwood forest tara. It was extremely wrathful but wearing the jewels ornaments. I will be grateful to any answer.

I would like to ask about one sakya text. Would anybody who knows reply me in private?
fckw

Post by fckw »

Fortyeightvows wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:03 am
I was continuously repeating his mantra
I have only read about Hayagriva but never received any transmission
How do you know you were reciting his mantra?
First, I have seen his mantra before. Second, and more important, in the dream it was just obvious.
fckw

Post by fckw »

Palzang Jangchub wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:47 am Hayagriva (Tamdrin to Tibetans) features heavily in the Yangzab terma cycle held in Drikung Kagyu, being the yidam of the Yangzab Three Roots.

Do you remember your color(s), attributes, and the actual mantra from your dream, @fckw? Those details could help you narrow down which precise form you're looking for.

Otherwise i would research how prevalent Hayagriva is in the various lineages you may feel connected with, if any. From there you can make an informed decision.
Color was definitely red. Hand attributes did not matter too much in the dream. It was a single figure with two hands and one head (not yah yum) but this too was not so important. Much more important was the wrathful emotional tone and the speech as mantra. Very warrior like.
fckw

Post by fckw »

javier.espinoza.t wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:08 pm
Aryjna wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:09 pm As a side-note, I am under the impression that it is not very good to talk about such dreams in public, but I could be wrong.
yeah, according to ChNN and DKR at least, one should keep experiences on deities to oneself, this are secret stuff pointed to you.

that I remember.
Well! thanks for the reminder. I don’t intend to give more detail than what I consider helpful to get help from you guys. Already now I received some nice answers for which I am thankful.
fckw

Post by fckw »

treehuggingoctopus wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:29 pm

Lopon Ogyan Tanzin Rinpoche gave the Tamdrin Yangthrö (Dudjom Tersar Black Hayagriva) teachings last year in Germany: viewtopic.php?t=25256 If you live in Europe, you might get a chance next year. If you are not in Europe, you may want to consider getting LOTR to your place. Very much recommended.
Thanks for this, I live indeed in Europe. I will check him out.
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

fckw wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:02 pm
javier.espinoza.t wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:08 pm

that I remember.
Well! thanks for the reminder. I don’t intend to give more detail than what I consider helpful to get help from you guys. Already now I received some nice answers for which I am thankful.
you wellcome, I have made this mistake a few times so I better warn you to preserve your connections.

:anjali:
true dharma is inexpressible.

The bodhisattva nourishes from bodhicitta, through whatever method the Buddha has given him. Oh joy.

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”