Leslie Hays says Akong R kidnapped and tortured SMR

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Greg
Posts: 396
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:42 pm

Re: Leslie Hays says Akong R kidnapped and tortured SMR

Post by Greg » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:38 pm

She was one of his several wives in the 80s and a member of his inner circle. I don't know her personally but that much is not disputed by anyone.

User avatar
dzogchungpa
Posts: 6333
Joined: Sat May 28, 2011 10:50 pm

Re: Leslie Hays says Akong R kidnapped and tortured SMR

Post by dzogchungpa » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:49 pm

heart wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:22 pm
Leslie Hays says Akong R kidnapped and tortured SMR, Leslie Hays says CTR tortured a cat.

Is there anyone here that actually know Leslie Hays and that can vouch for her stories?

/magnus


Magnus, are you suggesting that we should not just take everything that Hays says at face value but that we should actually examine her statements at least somwhat critically? What a novel idea!
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche

User avatar
heart
Posts: 4485
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:55 pm

Re: Leslie Hays says Akong R kidnapped and tortured SMR

Post by heart » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:08 pm

dzogchungpa wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:49 pm
heart wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:22 pm
Leslie Hays says Akong R kidnapped and tortured SMR, Leslie Hays says CTR tortured a cat.

Is there anyone here that actually know Leslie Hays and that can vouch for her stories?

/magnus


Magnus, are you suggesting that we should not just take everything that Hays says at face value but that we should actually examine her statements at least somwhat critically? What a novel idea!
Yes, that is what I am suggesting. :smile:

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)

Greg
Posts: 396
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:42 pm

Re: Leslie Hays says Akong R kidnapped and tortured SMR

Post by Greg » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:13 am

dzogchungpa wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:49 pm
heart wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:22 pm
Leslie Hays says Akong R kidnapped and tortured SMR, Leslie Hays says CTR tortured a cat.

Is there anyone here that actually know Leslie Hays and that can vouch for her stories?

/magnus


Magnus, are you suggesting that we should not just take everything that Hays says at face value but that we should actually examine her statements at least somwhat critically? What a novel idea!
It would be great if investigative journalists looked into what she has to say. The cat story has a certain amount of collaboration. I believe her.

In any case, we are seeing more and more people emboldened to come forward with unwelcome information despite the best efforts of many to silence them, so hopefully there will be greater opportunity for examination. Information suppression isn’t what it used to be, as we are seeing.

User avatar
dzogchungpa
Posts: 6333
Joined: Sat May 28, 2011 10:50 pm

Re: Leslie Hays says Akong R kidnapped and tortured SMR

Post by dzogchungpa » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:25 am

Greg wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:13 am
In any case, we are seeing more and more people emboldened to come forward with unwelcome information despite the best efforts of many to silence them, so hopefully there will be greater opportunity for examination. Information suppression isn’t what it used to be, as we are seeing.

The point is, the ability to propgate bullshit is also much greater now so one has to be even more critical than before. Mind you, it's entirely possible that Hays is telling the complete truth and that Akong Rinpoche did in fact kidnap and torture a little boy. I don't know. Do you?
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche

Rinchen Samphel
Posts: 38
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:47 am

Re: Leslie Hays says Akong R kidnapped and tortured SMR

Post by Rinchen Samphel » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:33 am

dzogchungpa wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:25 am

The point is, the ability to propgate bullshit is also much greater now so one has to be even more critical than before. Mind you, it's entirely possible that Hays is telling the complete truth and that Akong Rinpoche did in fact kidnap and torture a little boy. I don't know. Do you?
Wait, so what is your view on all of this? What was your point in making this thread? (Im not implying anything, just would like to actually know) Because, I cant tell if i am receiving mixed signals or not.

Greg
Posts: 396
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:42 pm

Re: Leslie Hays says Akong R kidnapped and tortured SMR

Post by Greg » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:02 am

dzogchungpa wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:25 am
Greg wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:13 am
In any case, we are seeing more and more people emboldened to come forward with unwelcome information despite the best efforts of many to silence them, so hopefully there will be greater opportunity for examination. Information suppression isn’t what it used to be, as we are seeing.

The point is, the ability to propgate bullshit is also much greater now so one has to be even more critical than before. Mind you, it's entirely possible that Hays is telling the complete truth and that Akong Rinpoche did in fact kidnap and torture a little boy. I don't know. Do you?
I have no idea about the Akong claims.

Stewart
Posts: 549
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:40 pm

Re: Leslie Hays says Akong R kidnapped and tortured SMR

Post by Stewart » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:06 am

dzogchungpa wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:25 am
Greg wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:13 am
In any case, we are seeing more and more people emboldened to come forward with unwelcome information despite the best efforts of many to silence them, so hopefully there will be greater opportunity for examination. Information suppression isn’t what it used to be, as we are seeing.

The point is, the ability to propgate bullshit is also much greater now so one has to be even more critical than before. Mind you, it's entirely possible that Hays is telling the complete truth and that Akong Rinpoche did in fact kidnap and torture a little boy. I don't know. Do you?
No, we don't know, and neither doea Hays, at best she's repeating something she's heard second hand.

What we can do is make an educated judgement however. As I mentioned, I lived at Samye Ling for several years, and knew AR up to his death in 2013 ...I seen Akong Rinpoche often, dealing with him directly, in private also, he never betrayed his calm and humble personality, he played himself down and never portrayed himself as a siddha or even a Lama. He was always reliable, like a rock. I've also seen him overcome seemingly impossible situations and move on to the next thing as if nothing happened. He was a really exceptional person.

One of my closest friends was his attendant for nearly 20 years, travelled with him all over world, spent the vast majority of his days at his side. He said to me once that he never seen AR lose his composure or be phased by anything whatsoever.

I could recount stories about him which stuck with me, especially regarding his death, before and after, but i won't here, but i am 100% convinced he was a person of quality, no scandals, but also no big fanfare.

So i might not 'know'... but I've got a pretty good idea.
s.

Greg
Posts: 396
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:42 pm

Re: Leslie Hays says Akong R kidnapped and tortured SMR

Post by Greg » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:07 am

I can tell you that the plan to seize control of Nova Scotia by force if necessary was still paid lip service to at Vajrayana seminary as late as the early aughts. Not sure if anyone ever spilled those beans before Leslie.

User avatar
dzogchungpa
Posts: 6333
Joined: Sat May 28, 2011 10:50 pm

Re: Leslie Hays says Akong R kidnapped and tortured SMR

Post by dzogchungpa » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:51 am

Rinchen Samphel wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:33 am
dzogchungpa wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:25 am
The point is, the ability to propgate bullshit is also much greater now so one has to be even more critical than before. Mind you, it's entirely possible that Hays is telling the complete truth and that Akong Rinpoche did in fact kidnap and torture a little boy. I don't know. Do you?
Wait, so what is your view on all of this? What was your point in making this thread? (Im not implying anything, just would like to actually know) Because, I cant tell if i am receiving mixed signals or not.


If by "all of this" you mean Hays' statement re Akong R my view is that I don't know what actually happened. My point in making this thread is to stimulate discussion concerning Hays' statement, possibly turning up relevant information.
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche

smcj
Posts: 5858
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 6:13 am

Re: Leslie Hays says Akong R kidnapped and tortured SMR

Post by smcj » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:15 am

You guys do know that beatings were common in pre-PRC monasteries, right?
I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against Lama abuse.

User avatar
Malcolm
Posts: 28696
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am

Re: Leslie Hays says Akong R kidnapped and tortured SMR

Post by Malcolm » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:30 am

smcj wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:15 am
You guys do know that beatings were common in pre-PRC monasteries, right?
As well as pre 1959 elemtary schools in the USA...
Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔


[A]nything at all that is well spoken is the word of the Buddha.

-- Ārya-adhyāśaya-sañcodana-nāma-mahāyāna-sūtra

The different sūtras in accord with the emptiness
taught by the Sugata are definitive in meaning;
One can understand that all of those Dharmas in
which a sentient being, individual, or person are taught are provisional in meaning.

-- Samadhirāja Sūtra

Tenma
Posts: 709
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:25 am

Re: Leslie Hays says Akong R kidnapped and tortured SMR

Post by Tenma » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:47 am

Malcolm wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:30 am
smcj wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:15 am
You guys do know that beatings were common in pre-PRC monasteries, right?
As well as pre 1959 elemtary schools in the USA...
Dang...

PeterC
Posts: 623
Joined: Tue May 20, 2014 12:38 pm

Re: Leslie Hays says Akong R kidnapped and tortured SMR

Post by PeterC » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:59 am

dzogchungpa wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:51 am
Rinchen Samphel wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:33 am
dzogchungpa wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:25 am
The point is, the ability to propgate bullshit is also much greater now so one has to be even more critical than before. Mind you, it's entirely possible that Hays is telling the complete truth and that Akong Rinpoche did in fact kidnap and torture a little boy. I don't know. Do you?
Wait, so what is your view on all of this? What was your point in making this thread? (Im not implying anything, just would like to actually know) Because, I cant tell if i am receiving mixed signals or not.


If by "all of this" you mean Hays' statement re Akong R my view is that I don't know what actually happened. My point in making this thread is to stimulate discussion concerning Hays' statement, possibly turning up relevant information.

The bar for these claims to be credible is extraordinarily high, given Akong R’s character and integrity. Unless Hays has better proof than is in that post, we probably aren’t helping anyone by repeating them.

User avatar
dzogchungpa
Posts: 6333
Joined: Sat May 28, 2011 10:50 pm

Re: Leslie Hays says Akong R kidnapped and tortured SMR

Post by dzogchungpa » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:06 am

PeterC wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:59 am
dzogchungpa wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:51 am
Rinchen Samphel wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:33 am
Wait, so what is your view on all of this? What was your point in making this thread? (Im not implying anything, just would like to actually know) Because, I cant tell if i am receiving mixed signals or not.


If by "all of this" you mean Hays' statement re Akong R my view is that I don't know what actually happened. My point in making this thread is to stimulate discussion concerning Hays' statement, possibly turning up relevant information.

The bar for these claims to be credible is extraordinarily high, given Akong R’s character and integrity. Unless Hays has better proof than is in that post, we probably aren’t helping anyone by repeating them.


I don't actually know much about Akong R but it seems that Leslie Hays is considered to be a reliable source of information these days, so I thought it was worth discussing.
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche

User avatar
Malcolm
Posts: 28696
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am

Re: Leslie Hays says Akong R kidnapped and tortured SMR

Post by Malcolm » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:23 am

dzogchungpa wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:06 am
PeterC wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:59 am
dzogchungpa wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:51 am




If by "all of this" you mean Hays' statement re Akong R my view is that I don't know what actually happened. My point in making this thread is to stimulate discussion concerning Hays' statement, possibly turning up relevant information.

The bar for these claims to be credible is extraordinarily high, given Akong R’s character and integrity. Unless Hays has better proof than is in that post, we probably aren’t helping anyone by repeating them.


I don't actually know much about Akong R but it seems that Leslie Hays is considered to be a reliable source of information these days, so I thought it was worth discussing.
She seems reliable with respect to her first hand accounts of what she personally saw, as to what she heard second hand...no one alive can say one way or another
Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔


[A]nything at all that is well spoken is the word of the Buddha.

-- Ārya-adhyāśaya-sañcodana-nāma-mahāyāna-sūtra

The different sūtras in accord with the emptiness
taught by the Sugata are definitive in meaning;
One can understand that all of those Dharmas in
which a sentient being, individual, or person are taught are provisional in meaning.

-- Samadhirāja Sūtra

dharmafootsteps
Posts: 129
Joined: Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:57 am

Re: Leslie Hays says Akong R kidnapped and tortured SMR

Post by dharmafootsteps » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:28 am

Has anyone heard Akong Rinpoche's younger brother, Lama Yeshe Losal Rinpoche's, take on the situation?

He was good friends with CTR in the early days, who it seems was regarded as bad influence on him by others, particularly AR. However, he eventually came around, returned to Samye Ling and became a great yogi. Having been on both sides, I'd be interested to know how views CTR, his legacy and Shambala these days. Did he completely come round to AR's perspective?

User avatar
dzogchungpa
Posts: 6333
Joined: Sat May 28, 2011 10:50 pm

Re: Leslie Hays says Akong R kidnapped and tortured SMR

Post by dzogchungpa » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:37 am

Malcolm wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:23 am
dzogchungpa wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:06 am
I don't actually know much about Akong R but it seems that Leslie Hays is considered to be a reliable source of information these days, so I thought it was worth discussing.
She seems reliable with respect to her first hand accounts of what she personally saw, as to what she heard second hand...no one alive can say one way or another

Very good. She seems reliable with respect to her first hand accounts of what she personally saw, so her other statements are worthy of discussion. At least that's how it seems to me.
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche

amanitamusc
Posts: 1390
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:32 am

Re: Leslie Hays says Akong R kidnapped and tortured SMR

Post by amanitamusc » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:10 am

Malcolm wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:30 am
smcj wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:15 am
You guys do know that beatings were common in pre-PRC monasteries, right?
As well as pre 1959 elemtary schools in the USA...
This went on into the mid 60's in central mass when i was in elementary
school.

PeterC
Posts: 623
Joined: Tue May 20, 2014 12:38 pm

Re: Leslie Hays says Akong R kidnapped and tortured SMR

Post by PeterC » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:36 am

dzogchungpa wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:06 am
PeterC wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:59 am
dzogchungpa wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:51 am




If by "all of this" you mean Hays' statement re Akong R my view is that I don't know what actually happened. My point in making this thread is to stimulate discussion concerning Hays' statement, possibly turning up relevant information.

The bar for these claims to be credible is extraordinarily high, given Akong R’s character and integrity. Unless Hays has better proof than is in that post, we probably aren’t helping anyone by repeating them.


I don't actually know much about Akong R but it seems that Leslie Hays is considered to be a reliable source of information these days, so I thought it was worth discussing.
Far, though there is a world of difference between first- and second-hand reports, and in this case we need to take note of where she received this story from.

I think you’ve heard the consensus on Akong Rinpoche’s character on this thread - he couldn’t be more different from CTR. It may be worth your reading a little about him. I find him a very inspiring person.

Locked

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”