Environmentally sound disposal of materials

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Lingpupa

Environmentally sound disposal of materials

Post by Lingpupa »

I've got dozens and dozens of cassette tapes of teachings and the like, collected mainly in the 80's and 90's. I have no time to listen to them again, and I suspect that over the last 20 or 30 years they have printed through into audio mush.

Any ideas on how to dispose of them in a manner that's environmentally responsible and also dharmically respectful?
All best wishes

"The profundity of your devotion to your lama is not measured by your ability to turn a blind eye."
Ramblings: lunidharma.blogspot.com
Fortyeightvows

Re: Environmentally sound disposal of materials

Post by Fortyeightvows »

bury them
kausalya

Post by kausalya »

There are visualizations for this.

I certainly don't remember the details, so you'll want to check, but the essence seems to be that you want to visualize the letters of the Buddha's teaching leaving the physical object to be discarded and entering your crown/absorbing into your heart. Then burn (if it's paper) or, in the case of tapes, dispose of them however is most environmentally friendly.

I have never done this, but my preference would also be to recite mantra while doing so, and then recite Vajrasattva mantra to purify any mistakes.
"For as long as space remains,
For as long as sentient beings remain,
Until then may I too remain
To dispel the miseries of the world."
(Shantideva)
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

Lingpupa wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:29 pm I've got dozens and dozens of cassette tapes of teachings and the like, collected mainly in the 80's and 90's. I have no time to listen to them again, and I suspect that over the last 20 or 30 years they have printed through into audio mush.

Any ideas on how to dispose of them in a manner that's environmentally responsible and also dharmically respectful?
send them to me!
true dharma is inexpressible.

The bodhisattva nourishes from bodhicitta, through whatever method the Buddha has given him. Oh joy.

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”