How to Make Long-Life Prayer More Effective?

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Virgo

Re: How to Make Long-Life Prayer More Effective?

Post by Virgo »

Palzang Jangchub wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:36 pm

As for lamas having mastery over death and the death process being "ridiculous," Virgo, you might wanna study more before taking that stance. There's ample evidence that realized masters like the 16th Gyalwang Karmapa demonstrate this level of accomplishment. Even his medical doctor and nurses marvelled at how the area around Karmapa's heart remained warm days after he was pronounced clinically dead.
Is he still alive?

As for lamas extending their lifespan, attaining rainbow body, and other such things, I never argued those points at all. Snowbear directly claimed that lamas essentially choose when they want to die, so please re-read that section of the thread, Palzang. Thanks.

Kevin...
Palzang Jangchub

Post by Palzang Jangchub »

Virgo wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:48 pm
Palzang Jangchub wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:36 pm As for lamas having mastery over death and the death process being "ridiculous," Virgo, you might wanna study more before taking that stance. There's ample evidence that realized masters like the 16th Gyalwang Karmapa demonstrate this level of accomplishment. Even his medical doctor and nurses marvelled at how the area around Karmapa's heart remained warm days after he was pronounced clinically dead.
Is he still alive?

As for lamas extending their lifespan, attaining rainbow body, and other such things, I never argued those points at all. Snowbear directly claimed that lamas essentially choose when they want to die, so please re-read that section of the thread, Palzang. Thanks.

Kevin...
While I do rely on glasses to not be considered legally blind, I assure you that my reading skills are perfectly fine. I read what you wrote. This is where we could get into an ontological debate. Are realized lamas enlightened beings who choose to reincarnate to benefit beings and put on the display of death to highlight impermanence, despite being in a state of deathlessness? This is the Bodhisattvayana family view. If they can choose when and where to be born, why wouldn't they be able to choose when and where they die?

"The Sutras, Tantras, and Philosophical Scriptures are great in number. However life is short, and intelligence is limited, so it's hard to cover them completely. You may know a lot, but if you don't put it into practice, it's like dying of thirst on the shore of a great lake. Likewise, a common corpse is found in the bed of a great scholar." ~ Karma Chagme

དྲིན་ཆེན་རྩ་བའི་བླ་མ་སྐྱབས་རྗེ་མགར་ཆེན་ཁྲི་སྤྲུལ་རིན་པོ་ཆེ་ཁྱེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ།།
རྗེ་བཙུན་བླ་མ་མཁས་གྲུབ་ཀརྨ་ཆགས་མེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ། ཀརྨ་པ་མཁྱེན་ནོཿ
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

Palzang Jangchub wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:12 pm
Virgo wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:48 pm
Palzang Jangchub wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:36 pm As for lamas having mastery over death and the death process being "ridiculous," Virgo, you might wanna study more before taking that stance. There's ample evidence that realized masters like the 16th Gyalwang Karmapa demonstrate this level of accomplishment. Even his medical doctor and nurses marvelled at how the area around Karmapa's heart remained warm days after he was pronounced clinically dead.
Is he still alive?

Kevin...
While I do rely on glasses to not be considered legally blind, I assure you that my reading skills are perfectly fine. I read what you wrote. This is where we could get into an ontological debate. Are realized lamas enlightened beings who choose to reincarnate to benefit beings and put on the display of death to highlight impermanence, despite being in a state of deathlessness? This is the Bodhisattvayana family view. If they can choose when and where to be born, why wouldn't they be able to choose when and where they die?
So you think that lamas can live on indefinitely forever and/or choose the moment of their death, huh?

Kevin

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”