Turning daily life into retreat

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Kris

Turning daily life into retreat

Post by Kris »

Of course allocating time to practice is not the same as boundaried retreat; due to constant distraction and concerns. Even so I'm interested in the possibility of accomplishing sadhana in daily life.

How much time (and of course diligence, patience etc.) is needed to pull this off? Would one focus more on practicing until signs, instead of by number or time?
Is it even possible?
The profound path of the master.
-- Virūpa, Vajra Lines
Malcolm

Re: Turning daily life into retreat

Post by Malcolm »

Sennin wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:33 pm Of course allocating time to practice is not the same as boundaried retreat; due to constant distraction and concerns. Even so I'm interested in the possibility of accomplishing sadhana in daily life.

How much time (and of course diligence, patience etc.) is needed to pull this off? Would one focus more on practicing until signs, instead of by number or time?
Is it even possible?
Work nine to five, practice 7-11, rinse repeat.
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

Or, practice—4-6:30am, work 8-5, practice again 7:30-9....and push re-set button. Weekends, do more practice, and sometimes use PTO or vacation days for strict retreats of 4 or more sessions daily.
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
Kris

Post by Kris »

Thanks guys. That's very encouraging!
The profound path of the master.
-- Virūpa, Vajra Lines
heart

Post by heart »

Sennin wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:33 pm Of course allocating time to practice is not the same as boundaried retreat; due to constant distraction and concerns. Even so I'm interested in the possibility of accomplishing sadhana in daily life.

Is it even possible?
First I think you really have to make your mind up as to what practice you want to do. The amount of time you can spend depends on your motivation and also circumstances like if you have a family or other engagements you can't avoid. Over the years I done several sadhanas and other practices spending between 1 and 4-5 hours daily depending on the circumstances. My experience is that the signs are not so clear when your not in retreat so for signs you should try to do many short (or long if you can) retreats also.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Rick

Post by Rick »

I just found out that my wife needs to spend some time with her sister, who is recovering from an operation. I'm off summers (teaching) so I have buncha time, and I just started planning out some kind of one-week retreat when I ran into this posting!

I'm not much of an on-the-cushion meditator, so I think what I'm gonna do is work on my awareness mojo.

Anyway, thanks for the serendipitous encouragement! I hope your life-retreat goes well. :thumbsup:
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...
Motova

Post by Motova »

Is it even possible?
I think a well paying job and a housewife who is also a practitioner would be ideal for an aspiring yogi.
To become a rain man one must master the ten virtues and sciences.
heart

Post by heart »

Motova wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:51 pm

Is it even possible?
I think a well paying job and a housewife who is also a practitioner would be ideal for an aspiring yogi.
"A housewife"? :smile: I am afraid we don't have those anymore where I live.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Aryjna

Post by Aryjna »

Is it even possible?
It is even better if one is single, has no living relatives or friends and lives on some sort of savings or income.
Motova

Post by Motova »

heart wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:02 pm

Is it even possible?
"A housewife"? :smile: I am afraid we don't have those anymore where I live.

/magnus
:smile:
Aryjna wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:04 pm

Is it even possible?
It is even better if one is single, has no living relatives or friends and lives on some sort of savings or income.
I am probably wrong, but I feel Vajrayana is better practiced with a spouse who is a practitioner.
To become a rain man one must master the ten virtues and sciences.
Terma

Post by Terma »

conebeckham wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:54 pm Or, practice—4-6:30am, work 8-5, practice again 7:30-9....and push re-set button. Weekends, do more practice, and sometimes use PTO or vacation days for strict retreats of 4 or more sessions daily.
Is there any hope for one with a full time job and a family such as myself? :D

I guess in this case practicing for a certain length of time daily, even an hour per day with some weekend or other short retreats get's us there eventually I suppose.
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

Terma wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:37 pm
conebeckham wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:54 pm Or, practice—4-6:30am, work 8-5, practice again 7:30-9....and push re-set button. Weekends, do more practice, and sometimes use PTO or vacation days for strict retreats of 4 or more sessions daily.

I guess in this case practicing for a certain length of time daily, even an hour per day with some weekend or other short retreats get's us there eventually I suppose.
I have a full time job and a family with two kids... you can make it work.
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
Terma

Post by Terma »

conebeckham wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:33 am
Terma wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:37 pm

I have a full time job and a family with two kids... you can make it work.
Good to hear. That's the plan! :thumbsup:
Tenma

Post by Tenma »

Personally, I perform my daily sadhanas in the bus in the morning and afternoon during school days. During lunch, I fast and recite sutras and whatnot. As it is summer vacation(unfortunately, more "Christian security"), I do my sadhana for around 1.5 hours from anywhere between 10 PM - 12 AM
Manju

Post by Manju »

Malcolm la,

what does ´rinse repeat´mean ?

Manju
dharmafootsteps

Post by dharmafootsteps »

Manju wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:00 am Malcolm la,

what does ´rinse repeat´mean ?

Manju
It's an idiom meaning to repeat the instructions/action over and over again.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Or, practice—4-6:30am, work 8-5, practice again 7:30-9....and push re-set button. Weekends, do more practice, and sometimes use PTO or vacation days for strict retreats of 4 or more sessions daily.
lunatic_loops.png
lunatic_loops.png (114.73 KiB) Viewed 2485 times
Sennin wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:34 pm Thanks guys. That's very encouraging!
Encouraging? You'll be looking for SSRI treatment in no time! :tongue:
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc »

That is very Kagyu! :twothumbsup:
Moha

Post by Moha »

It's been challenging for me to diligently practice daily. I usually get off work earlier than my wife, so I have at least a couple of hours to myself - time which I should use better. Motivation is a big problem for me. That and the fact that I can be horribly lazy. :?
practitioner

Post by practitioner »

Ignorant_Fool wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:56 pm It's been challenging for me to diligently practice daily. I usually get off work earlier than my wife, so I have at least a couple of hours to myself - time which I should use better. Motivation is a big problem for me. That and the fact that I can be horribly lazy. :?
In my experience just establishing a daily practice is the first step. Even just 15min. You can worry about longer sessions later. But creating that space in your life is the first step.
One should do nothing other than benefit sentient beings either directly or indirectly - Shantideva

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”