Rechungpa's Tulku

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
florin

Rechungpa's Tulku

Post by florin »

Anyone knows what happened to Rechungpa's tulku, the american boy that was recognised by the previous karmapa ?
20180731_121925.jpg
20180731_121925.jpg (341.09 KiB) Viewed 2637 times
Tenma

Re: Rechungpa's Tulku

Post by Tenma »

florin wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:15 pm Anyone knows what happened to Rechungpa's tulku, the american boy that was recognised by the previous karmapa ?

20180731_121925.jpg
Strange, I thought Garchen Rinpoche was the incarnation of Rechungpa.
florin

Post by florin »

Tenma wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:42 pm
florin wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:15 pm Anyone knows what happened to Rechungpa's tulku, the american boy that was recognised by the previous karmapa ?

20180731_121925.jpg
The current lineage holder of Rechungpa's teachings is Changling R.
But there isn't any info on the american tulku and how that panned out.
I just thought it's interesting, more for the fact that he was recognised by the karmapa and the enthronement ceremony happened in an important monastery .
Palzang Jangchub

Post by Palzang Jangchub »

20180731_121925.jpg
Garchen Rinpoche is one of a few recognized reincarnations of Rechung Dorje Drakpa. There are others I've heard about, but this one is new to me. I would love to learn more about this fellow and what happened to him as well, florin!

"The Sutras, Tantras, and Philosophical Scriptures are great in number. However life is short, and intelligence is limited, so it's hard to cover them completely. You may know a lot, but if you don't put it into practice, it's like dying of thirst on the shore of a great lake. Likewise, a common corpse is found in the bed of a great scholar." ~ Karma Chagme

དྲིན་ཆེན་རྩ་བའི་བླ་མ་སྐྱབས་རྗེ་མགར་ཆེན་ཁྲི་སྤྲུལ་རིན་པོ་ཆེ་ཁྱེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ།།
རྗེ་བཙུན་བླ་མ་མཁས་གྲུབ་ཀརྨ་ཆགས་མེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ། ཀརྨ་པ་མཁྱེན་ནོཿ
florin

Post by florin »

Palzang Jangchub wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:32 pm

20180731_121925.jpg
Garchen Rinpoche is one of a few recognized reincarnations of Rechung Dorje Drakpa. There are others I've heard about, but this one is new to me. I would love to learn more about this fellow and what happened to him as well, florin!

This announcement was posted in an old issue of Densal magazine from 1985 published by Karma Tryana Dharmachakra.
Apart from this there isn't much else.
There are some old threads here that discuss Rechungpa's lineage but i didn't see anything about this particular tulku.
Palzang Jangchub

:thanks:

Do we know the English name of this tulku? It's interesting, the timing you mention. 17th Gyalwang Karmapa OTD was born in 1985!

"The Sutras, Tantras, and Philosophical Scriptures are great in number. However life is short, and intelligence is limited, so it's hard to cover them completely. You may know a lot, but if you don't put it into practice, it's like dying of thirst on the shore of a great lake. Likewise, a common corpse is found in the bed of a great scholar." ~ Karma Chagme

crazy-man

Post by crazy-man »

there is a footnote on p. 221-222 in the book: The Biographies of Rechungpa: The Evolution of a Tibetan Hagiography
about this
https://books.google.de/books?id=Fv6SAg ... &q&f=false
florin

Post by florin »

crazy-man wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:20 pm there is a footnote on p. 221-222 in the book: The Biographies of Rechungpa: The Evolution of a Tibetan Hagiography
about this
https://books.google.de/books?id=Fv6SAg ... &q&f=false
I see. So he is not the only american that was recognised.Fantastic. :shrug:
passel

Post by passel »

Tsoknyi R. Is a Rechungpa tulku, not the one in the OP article, oc.
"I have made a heap of all that I have met"- Svetonious
khemmis

Post by khemmis »

Palzang Jangchub wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:39 pm :thanks:

Do we know the English name of this tulku? It's interesting, the timing you mention. 17th Gyalwang Karmapa OTD was born in 1985!
According to this site his name is Jason Mayo.
Jason Mayo reincarnate of Rechung Dorje Drakpa, was born in 1979 in Crestone Colorado.
He was recognized as a high reincarnate lama by His Holiness the 16th Karmapa at the age of one and was later enthroned at the main seat of the Karmapa in Sikkim at the age of five. He was formally recognized as the tenth reincarnation of Rechung Dorje Drakpa, one of the two main disciples of the great 12th century yogi Milarepa. He subsequently, upon the advice of the lamas, recieved a full western education and now has his B.A..
There is some video on that site (from 2003?) but you have to be a subscriber to watch it (9 bucks required).
Palzang Jangchub

Wonder if he's on social media under either name, or if perhaps he auctioned off his tulku title on eBay like Gesar Mukpo... :spy:

florin

Post by florin »

khemmis wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:47 am
Palzang Jangchub wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:39 pm :thanks:

According to this site his name is Jason Mayo.
Jason Mayo reincarnate of Rechung Dorje Drakpa, was born in 1979 in Crestone Colorado.
He was recognized as a high reincarnate lama by His Holiness the 16th Karmapa at the age of one and was later enthroned at the main seat of the Karmapa in Sikkim at the age of five. He was formally recognized as the tenth reincarnation of Rechung Dorje Drakpa, one of the two main disciples of the great 12th century yogi Milarepa. He subsequently, upon the advice of the lamas, recieved a full western education and now has his B.A..
There is some video on that site (from 2003?) but you have to be a subscriber to watch it (9 bucks required).
Thanks for the info.
I was just curious because his enthronement and recognition appeared to be a big event at that time.
crazy-man

Post by crazy-man »

Strong's ties to the Tibetans run deep. She says her grandson, Jason Mayo, born in Alamosa in 1979, was recognized by the High Lama in 1981 as the reincarnation of an 11th-Century Tibetan saint named Rechung Dorje Drakpa.
http://articles.latimes.com/1989-08-20/ ... ng-place/3

Jason Mayo Family
http://www.manitou.org/foundation/history/
Varis

Post by Varis »

Tenma wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:42 pm Strange, I thought Garchen Rinpoche was the incarnation of Rechungpa.
Buddhas emanate however many times is necessary for sentient beings, for all we know there could be an infinite number of emanations of Rechungpa across the infinite number of world-systems.
"I have never encountered a person who committed bad deeds." ― Ven. Jìngkōng

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”