Short sadhanas

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
ford_truckin

Short sadhanas

Post by ford_truckin »

Are there any short and highly effective sadhanas in Tibetan Buddhism that can be performed daily by busy laypeople? Something that doesn't require lengthy visualizations or hours of repeating sacred texts?
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Re: Short sadhanas

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

ford_truckin wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:17 am Are there any short and highly effective sadhanas in Tibetan Buddhism that can be performed daily by busy laypeople? Something that doesn't require lengthy visualizations or hours of repeating sacred texts?
All kinds, but you need to receive them from a teacher, for the most part. There are unrestricted practices for Chenrezig and Tara, but even with those, you aren't gonna just download something or pick something up and get anything out of it.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
dharmafootsteps

Post by dharmafootsteps »

ford_truckin wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:17 am Are there any short and highly effective sadhanas in Tibetan Buddhism that can be performed daily by busy laypeople? Something that doesn't require lengthy visualizations or hours of repeating sacred texts?
Treasury of Blessings: https://lhaseylotsawa.org/texts/the-tre ... sawa-house

Practice instructions for it: https://dharmasun.org/sadhanas-rituals/
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

The Chenrezig practice from Thangtong Gyalpo, DroDen KaKhyabma, is very short if you stick to the original sadhana and leave off amended prayers, etc. It is quite effective, IMO, as a daily practice. The book "Chenrezig: Lord of Love" has the complete sadhana along with commentary and instructions, and it is explicitly indicated that one can practice without empowerment etc.
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
Palzang Jangchub

Post by Palzang Jangchub »

conebeckham wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:29 am The Chenrezig practice from Thangtong Gyalpo, DroDen KaKhyabma, is very short if you stick to the original sadhana and leave off amended prayers, etc. It is quite effective, IMO, as a daily practice. The book "Chenrezig: Lord of Love" has the complete sadhana along with commentary and instructions, and it is explicitly indicated that one can practice without empowerment etc.
IIRC, 17th Karmapa OTD has said that the Thangthong Gyalpo Chenrezik sadhana is his heart practice. Pretty sure i read in History of the Karmapas about how TTG Rinpoche was met with resistance when he enetered the traveling city of Karmapa in order to give HH teachings on this text, but eventually Karmapa made him a guest of honor at the Garchen (i.e. "great encampment"). It was like an antecedent to Chatral Rinpoche grilling Tulku Urgyen Rinpoche before he was allowed to teach Chokling Tersar to HH Dudjom Rinpoche :D

"The Sutras, Tantras, and Philosophical Scriptures are great in number. However life is short, and intelligence is limited, so it's hard to cover them completely. You may know a lot, but if you don't put it into practice, it's like dying of thirst on the shore of a great lake. Likewise, a common corpse is found in the bed of a great scholar." ~ Karma Chagme

དྲིན་ཆེན་རྩ་བའི་བླ་མ་སྐྱབས་རྗེ་མགར་ཆེན་ཁྲི་སྤྲུལ་རིན་པོ་ཆེ་ཁྱེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ།།
རྗེ་བཙུན་བླ་མ་མཁས་གྲུབ་ཀརྨ་ཆགས་མེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ། ཀརྨ་པ་མཁྱེན་ནོཿ
chimechodra

Post by chimechodra »

Dudjom Tersar has many incredibly pithy texts. Lotsawa House has a freely available version of the Daily Practice of Simhamukha which you can find online, and it's about as short of a practice as one could ask for.

Also, many of Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche's practices are short, and he teaches ways in which one can condense certain practices even further.
amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc »

Khenpo Jigme Phuntsok's Kalachakra terma.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

chimechodra wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:34 am Dudjom Tersar has many incredibly pithy texts. Lotsawa House has a freely available version of the Daily Practice of Simhamukha which you can find online, and it's about as short of a practice as one could ask for.

Also, many of Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche's practices are short, and he teaches ways in which one can condense certain practices even further.
Simhamukha without lung, tri and empowerment??? Somehow, I don't think so.

Pithy sadhana generally require the same procedure as their full/long counterparts.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc »

Grigoris wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:36 am
chimechodra wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:34 am Dudjom Tersar has many incredibly pithy texts. Lotsawa House has a freely available version of the Daily Practice of Simhamukha which you can find online, and it's about as short of a practice as one could ask for.

Pithy sadhana generally require the same procedure as their full/long counterparts.
Norbu Rinpoche give mostly Anu yoga.The empowerment is the
Direct Introduction.The Tri very short and universal.The lung always
at the end of retreats.
You can do an Anu yoga practice in a short time and complete.
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

In 1969, H.H. Dudjom Rinpoche, Jigdral Yeshe Dorje, at the request of the tulku of Jetsun Shuksep, on the occasion of Her moving to the U.S., revealed a Mind Treasure "Dzogchen ngondro." In the colophon, His Holiness says this extremely short (quite a bit shorter than the short Dudjom Tersar ngondro) was revealed specifically for busy people in the modern world.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
chimechodra

Post by chimechodra »

Grigoris wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:36 am

I never said that they should do these practices without the proper tri-lungs and empowerments. Simply mentioned that this is available online publicly in case they wanted to observe the pithiness for their own selves.

Of course with the recent conversation of secrecy I feel a little uneasy just posting the link directly, and I'm hoping that the poster at least has some form of samaya already so that if they decide to look at the text, they're already "in the fold", so to speak. And of course, as you mentioned, if anyone wants to do the practice, absolutely get the appropriate empowerments/lungs/explanations.

Also, unrelated but curious, there is a Medicine Buddha practice by Dudjom Rinpoche that is in book form, and I believe inside the book it mentions that one does not need any specific permissions/empowerments/etc. to successfully carry out the practice, and it is also supposed to be short and pithy. :shrug:
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

chimechodra wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:01 pmAlso, unrelated but curious, there is a Medicine Buddha practice by Dudjom Rinpoche that is in book form, and I believe inside the book it mentions that one does not need any specific permissions/empowerments/etc. to successfully carry out the practice, and it is also supposed to be short and pithy. :shrug:
Medicine Buddha practices can be terma or they can be Sutra. Same with Amitabha practices.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Aryjna

Post by Aryjna »

conebeckham wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:29 am The Chenrezig practice from Thangtong Gyalpo, DroDen KaKhyabma, is very short if you stick to the original sadhana and leave off amended prayers, etc. It is quite effective, IMO, as a daily practice. The book "Chenrezig: Lord of Love" has the complete sadhana along with commentary and instructions, and it is explicitly indicated that one can practice without empowerment etc.
I've been wondering which class of tantra this sadhana belongs to but couldn't find it online.
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

Aryjna wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:42 pm
I've been wondering which class of tantra this sadhana belongs to but couldn't find it online.
It can be approached as Kriya, but most teachers teach it according to a more "yoga tantra" view....I think.
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
Aryjna

Post by Aryjna »

conebeckham wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:11 pm
Aryjna wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:42 pm
It can be approached as Kriya, but most teachers teach it according to a more "yoga tantra" view....I think.
Thanks.
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

In short as previous discussion proved there are many short sadhanas. :) But as always teacher is important and then practice what the teacher tells you.

There are many termas which were made specially for modern world, however even many old practices can be done in a reasonable time.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
ford_truckin

Post by ford_truckin »

:thumbsup: Thanks
ford_truckin

Post by ford_truckin »

Nice thanks.
ford_truckin

Post by ford_truckin »

amanitamusc wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:36 am Khenpo Jigme Phuntsok's Kalachakra terma.
Will look into it :smile:
ford_truckin

Post by ford_truckin »

pemachophel wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:53 pm In 1969, H.H. Dudjom Rinpoche, Jigdral Yeshe Dorje, at the request of the tulku of Jetsun Shuksep, on the occasion of Her moving to the U.S., revealed a Mind Treasure "Dzogchen ngondro." In the colophon, His Holiness says this extremely short (quite a bit shorter than the short Dudjom Tersar ngondro) was revealed specifically for busy people in the modern world.
Interesting I tried googling this one but couldn't find much information on it.

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”