General Question Regarding Vajrayana Etiquette and Samaya

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
CicadaCanto

General Question Regarding Vajrayana Etiquette and Samaya

Post by CicadaCanto »

This is a general question.

Suppose one has a vajra relationship with a teacher (even a group of teachers) and a karmic connection to a cycle of teachings that one has committed to the practice of.

What that might look like is receiving empowerments, instructions and transmissions from a teacher or group of teachers and actively engaging in the practices. Doing the ngondro, accomplishing different practices by numbers or signs, doing certain types of training.

What about taking teachings from another teacher in that context?

My teacher wouldn't really care. As long as I practice purely and hold the lineage teachings.

But having considered this for some time, going and receiving these other teachings, it makes me wonder about my motivation. I have already been given a complete path. It comes down to, in pragmatic terms, whether I wish to receive these other teachings, or engage in retreat on my main practices. There is only so much time and money.

-CC
CicadaCanto

Re: General Question Regarding Vajrayana Etiquette and Samaya

Post by CicadaCanto »

Was hoping for some help.
Aryjna

Post by Aryjna »

Many people have the view that receiving many different teachings is not right and makes one shallow, showing a lack of real interest in the teachings. I am not really sure where this is coming from, if there is some scriptural support it would be useful to see it.

In my opinion that is false, and there are various quotes by masters that illustrate the opposite. Also, in biographies of masters you often read that they received many teachings from many different lamas.

I think the problem may be when someone is really just interested in getting the teachings with some nefarious purpose, such as to brag or to teach others without being ready, or to give out his services for money, doing pujas etc., while never actually putting them to practice genuinely.

Edit: In this specific case, if it is a choice between doing retreat on things you are already practicing and getting something new, I think I would choose the retreat, but it depends on the person making the choice obviously. Perhaps there is some very strong connection to the other teachings or something like that.
Last edited by Aryjna on Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Motova

Post by Motova »

As lay people our focus should be practice.
To become a rain man one must master the ten virtues and sciences.
CicadaCanto

Post by CicadaCanto »

Well. I am planning receiving these teachings. Great and rare teachings, great lama.

But I am doing a session of retreat at home. I'm reciting Calling Lama from Afar by Dudjom Rinpoche.

It strikes me that no text says the pre-requisite to realization, enlightenment is getting this set of teachings.

They all say total faith in one's guru.
They all say bodhicitta.
They all say following one's guru's pith instructions.

Sooooooooo... I have to ask myself-- what am I doing?

Getting teachings is certainly easier than retreat. Is it that? laziness?
Is it a lack of confidence in the instructions I've received?
Is it a lack of confidence in my lama?
More materialism. If only I get these teachings-- then I'm set. Then I can practice. How many times have I said that?

It is very easy to play games with oneself.

-CC

Aryjna wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:17 pm Many people have the view that receiving many different teachings is not right and makes one shallow, showing a lack of real interest in the teachings. I am not really sure where this is coming from, if there is some scriptural support it would be useful to see it.

In my opinion that is false, and there are various quotes by masters that illustrate the opposite. Also, in biographies of masters you often read that they received many teachings from many different lamas.

I think the problem may be when someone is really just interested in getting the teachings with some nefarious purpose, such as to brag or to teach others without being ready, or to give out his services for money, doing pujas etc., while never actually putting them to practice genuinely.
Aryjna

Post by Aryjna »

CicadaCanto wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:25 pm Well. I am planning receiving these teachings. Great and rare teachings, great lama.

But I am doing a session of retreat at home. I'm reciting Calling Lama from Afar by Dudjom Rinpoche.

It strikes me that no text says the pre-requisite to realization, enlightenment is getting this set of teachings.

They all say total faith in one's guru.
They all say bodhicitta.
They all say following one's guru's pith instructions.

Sooooooooo... I have to ask myself-- what am I doing?

Getting teachings is certainly easier than retreat. Is it that? laziness?
Is it a lack of confidence in the instructions I've received?
Is it a lack of confidence in my lama?
More materialism. If only I get these teachings-- then I'm set. Then I can practice. How many times have I said that?

It is very easy to play games with oneself.

-CC

Aryjna wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:17 pm Many people have the view that receiving many different teachings is not right and makes one shallow, showing a lack of real interest in the teachings. I am not really sure where this is coming from, if there is some scriptural support it would be useful to see it.

I edited my post to add
Edit: In this specific case, if it is a choice between doing retreat on things you are already practicing and getting something new, I think I would choose the retreat, but it depends on the person making the choice obviously. Perhaps there is some very strong connection to the other teachings or something like that.
I think that it depends on the circumstances, if you have been doing this for some time now and you think it may be an excuse not to do retreat, then it may be a better idea to do the retreat.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

CicadaCanto wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:12 pm This is a general question.

Suppose one has a vajra relationship with a teacher (even a group of teachers) and a karmic connection to a cycle of teachings that one has committed to the practice of.

What that might look like is receiving empowerments, instructions and transmissions from a teacher or group of teachers and actively engaging in the practices. Doing the ngondro, accomplishing different practices by numbers or signs, doing certain types of training.

What about taking teachings from another teacher in that context?

My teacher wouldn't really care. As long as I practice purely and hold the lineage teachings.

But having considered this for some time, going and receiving these other teachings, it makes me wonder about my motivation. I have already been given a complete path. It comes down to, in pragmatic terms, whether I wish to receive these other teachings, or engage in retreat on my main practices. There is only so much time and money.

-CC

If you are interested in the teacher, then go. If it is only the teaching you are interested in, then do not go.

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”