The owl

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
michaelb

Re: The owl

Post by michaelb »

Tenma wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:02 pm
pemachophel wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:01 pm I've always heard that crows/ravens are emissaries of Mahakala.
Eagles and hawks are dra-la and commonly signify protection. Seeing them is typically considered good. Living in Colorado, we see a lot.
Never been told anything about owls, but I love them.
Once was asked to get vulture feathers for a puja. At the time, turkey buzzard feathers was as close as I could get. Now I keep a stash of vulture feathers in my puja ingredient box.
Interesting how other cultures see the owl as a sign of wisdom or of a wisdom deity like Athena. Same with ravens(especially in America).
Owl and Raven tranmen are also part of the Vajrakilaya mandala, I think. Owls and Ravens are specifically mentioned in some practices where one separates harmful forces to be liberated from their protectors. The person performing the practice takes a raven and owl feather together, and twists and intertwines them in a nice flowy movement, and ends up separating them. I think the raven represents the protector and the owl represents the harmful force - but I'm not sure.

I actually think that in most cultures owls are considered to be very negative; often harbingers of death. They are often associated with paranormal phenomena like spirit contact. Strange "synchronicity", I was just listening to a podcast about owls and UFOs and stuff then thought I'd see what's going on on DW for the first time in a long time and found this thread. The person discussing stuff in the podcast wrote a book called "The Messengers: Owls, Synchronicity and the UFO Abductee."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWoQ3kPoFa0

The owls are not what they seem.
Tenma

Post by Tenma »

michaelb wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:15 pm
pemachophel wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:01 pm I've always heard that crows/ravens are emissaries of Mahakala.
Eagles and hawks are dra-la and commonly signify protection. Seeing them is typically considered good. Living in Colorado, we see a lot.
Never been told anything about owls, but I love them.
Once was asked to get vulture feathers for a puja. At the time, turkey buzzard feathers was as close as I could get. Now I keep a stash of vulture feathers in my puja ingredient box.
Interesting how other cultures see the owl as a sign of wisdom or of a wisdom deity like Athena. Same with ravens(especially in America).
Owl and Raven tranmen are also part of the Vajrakilaya mandala, I think. Owls and Ravens are specifically mentioned in some practices where one separates harmful forces to be liberated from their protectors. The person performing the practice takes a raven and owl feather together, and twists and intertwines them in a nice flowy movement, and ends up separating them. I think the raven represents the protector and the owl represents the harmful force - but I'm not sure.

I actually think that in most cultures owls are considered to be very negative; often harbingers of death. They are often associated with paranormal phenomena like spirit contact. Strange "synchronicity", I was just listening to a podcast about owls and UFOs and stuff then thought I'd see what's going on on DW for the first time in a long time and found this thread. The person discussing stuff in the podcast wrote a book called "The Messengers: Owls, Synchronicity and the UFO Abductee."

Tell that to the Greeks. Or the Hindus(the owl is Lakshmi's animal).
michaelb

Post by michaelb »

Tenma wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:34 pm
michaelb wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:15 pm

Tell that to the Greeks. Or the Hindus(the owl is Lakshmi's animal).
Well yes, but...
I just remembered why I don't bother to post here anymore.
Yavana

Post by Yavana »

michaelb wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:15 pm The owls are not what they seem.
...They seem to generally represent, among many other things, covenants with, and manipulation by, arcane forces.
Tenma

Post by Tenma »

The Cicada wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:53 am
michaelb wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:15 pm The owls are not what they seem.
...They seem to generally represent, among many other things, covenants with, and manipulation by, arcane forces.
Perhaps owls being Lakshmi's mount means the danger of wealth that brings greed and malice.
amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc »

Another story about the owl in Buddhism.
http://www.jatakkatha.com/buddhist-tale ... nation.php

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”