Rishi Stars?

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Tenma

Rishi Stars?

Post by Tenma » Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:52 pm

Does anyone know the next date for when they come out? I would like to prepare for this event.

Ogaf

Re: Rishi Stars?

Post by Ogaf » Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:08 pm

According to some, Canopus will be putting in an appearance from the 9th to the 15th September.

passel

Post by passel » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:15 pm

What are the rsi stars? I thought the 7 rsi’s were the seven stars of the Big Dipper, visible most nights in the N hemisphere
"I have made a heap of all that I have met"- Svetonious

kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:44 pm

passel wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:15 pm
What are the rsi stars? I thought the 7 rsi’s were the seven stars of the Big Dipper, visible most nights in the N hemisphere
Rishi-Star: This special astrological constellation causes the natural water-sources on earth to be transformed into nectar-like liquids. It is therefore particularly beneficial to take baths on these days.

I don't know what the actual constellation itself is though. It seems that this was probably asked here before so perhaps a search will bring something up.

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche

kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:45 pm

Tenma wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:52 pm
Does anyone know the next date for when they come out? I would like to prepare for this event.
9 September according to the Rabten calendar.

Kirt

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."

HH Chetsang Rinpoche

passel

Post by passel » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:48 pm

kirtu wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:44 pm
passel wrote:
What are the rsi stars?
Rishi-Star: This special astrological constellation causes the natural water-sources on earth to be transformed into nectar-like liquids. It is therefore particularly beneficial to take baths on these days.

Kirt
Makes me think of this:

Ogaf

Post by Ogaf » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:26 pm

Yep, the stars of the asterism known as the plough/big dipper/the thigh, plus Canopus. The date is based on the brief period of time that Canopus rises above the horizon and is visible in the Himalayan region. For those of us living in more Northern latitudes, Canopus is never visible.

Tenma

Post by Tenma » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:29 pm

kirtu wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:45 pm
Tenma wrote:

Kirt
Thank you!

Tenma

Post by Tenma » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:30 pm

kirtu wrote:
passel wrote:

I don't know what the actual constellation itself is though. It seems that this was probably asked here before so perhaps a search will bring something up.

Kirt
Do these waters include bottled water, shower water, etc. ? Or only natural waters like streams, oceans, ponds, puddles, etc.?

passel

Post by passel » Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:18 pm

Ogaf wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:26 pm
Yep, the stars of the asterism known as the plough/big dipper/the thigh, plus Canopus. The date is based on the brief period of time that Canopus rises above the horizon and is visible in the Himalayan region. For those of us living in more Northern latitudes, Canopus is never visible.
Wow man, thanks for the high quality information. I’ll go jump in the river and think of Canopus.

Ogaf

Post by Ogaf » Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:53 pm

Be sure to take your rubber-duck!

Tenma

Post by Tenma » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:20 am

passel wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:18 pm
Ogaf wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:26 pm
Wow man, thanks for the high quality information. I’ll go jump in the river and think of Canopus.
Take up the following practice as you wade in the water:
http://saraswatibhawan.org/rishi-stars-2017/

pemachophel

Post by pemachophel » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:41 am

Jump in a river, OK. Bu you can also put out a pitcher, bowl, or bucket of water to later wash in. You can also keep such blessed water all year to use as needed.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ

Sennin

Post by Sennin » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:48 am

kirtu wrote:
passel wrote:

Kirt
Very interesting. Thanks.
Thus, there is not a single one who has entered into this teaching who fails to attain buddhahood.

passel

Post by passel » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:58 am

Ogaf wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:53 pm
Be sure to take your rubber-duck!
:rolling:

passel

Post by passel » Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:01 am

pemachophel wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:41 am
Jump in a river, OK. Bu you can also put out a pitcher, bowl, or bucket of water to later wash in. You can also keep such blessed water all year to use as needed.
Water that’s only holy only on one day and needs to be set aside isn’t super interesting to me, benighted soul that I am.

kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:02 am

kirtu wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:45 pm
Tenma wrote:
So while the Rabten calendar has 9 September as the start date the practice is a week long. So September 9-15.

From Lama Dawa's group on FB:
Healing Power of Rishi Stars Sep 09-15 : According to Tibetan and Vedic astrology, there are a cluster of seven stars, called the ‘Rishi’ stars, that ‘appear’ once a year – usually in Sept. This year (according to Tibetan astrology) the Rishi stars will be ‘out’ from Sept. 9-15.

Typically, Tibetan doctors and healers would place buckets of water outside during this time, then use this water for making their medicines. Lama Dawa remembers how His Holiness Matrul Rinpcoche – a great Tibetan physician – would then boil this water down, thus concentrating it, then use this water to make the herbal medicinal pills, and also to consecrate the water with healing mantras. Another way of benefiting from this healing water is to bathe in pools, ponds or rivers during this time. Or, collect water in buckets and use that for bathing. Any water – whether it is ocean, river, stream, or water in pools, is imbued with the healing qualities of the stars.

Rangrig Dorje Rinpoche offers this prayer and mantra to be said while taking a bath outside under these stars:

Prayer:
JI-TAR TAM-PA TSAM-KYE NI
LHA-NAM KYE-NI TUE-SOL DZING
LHA-YI CHU-NE DAG-PA TE
DHE-DZIN DAG-GE TUE-GYE WO!

Mantra:
OM SARWA TAT’HAGATA AA BHIKHEE KATA SAMAYA SHIRI YE HUNG

Aspiration prayer:
DI-NI TUE-CHOK PAL-DANG DEN
T’HUK-JE CHU-NE LHA-NA MED
JIN-LAB YEE-SEE CHU-YE NI
CHI-DOD NGO-DRUB TSOL-WAR DZOD!

http://saraswatibhawan.org/the-rishi-stars/

HH Chetsang Rinpoche

Grigoris
Global Moderator

Post by Grigoris » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:51 am

All the waters in the world have been touched by the light of these stars countless times over, and yet, here we are.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:59 am

Grigoris wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:51 am
All the waters in the world have been touched by the light of these stars countless times over, and yet, here we are.
Think lightly not of goodness,
‘It will not come to me’,
for by the falling of water drops
a water jar is filled.
The sage with goodness fills himself,
he soaks up little by little.
Dhammapada, 9:122

HH Chetsang Rinpoche

Grigoris
Global Moderator

Post by Grigoris » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:02 am

kirtu wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:59 am
Grigoris wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:51 am
Think lightly not of goodness,
‘It will not come to me’,
for by the falling of water drops
a water jar is filled.
The sage with goodness fills himself,
he soaks up little by little.
Dhammapada, 9:122
That, as you well know, is a metaphorical teaching on karma, not a teaching on sanctified water.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”