Charnel grounds

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
kalden yungdrung

Charnel grounds

Post by kalden yungdrung »

Tashi delek,

We know in Tibetan / Indian Tantrayana also many Yogis who dwelled in charnel grounds.
This method was undertaken mainly for controlling / subdue fear.
The food was there mostly human flesh, the left overs of the cremation.

Below non Tibetan Yogis, but some Indian yogis , the Aghori Sadhus, who still dwell on charnel grounds, to overcome fear.
They have / share some similarities with the Tibetan Yogis, their conviction /belief differs.
Charnel grounds are visited by all kind of spirits etc.

Last edited by kalden yungdrung on Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
The best meditation is no meditation
Aryjna

Re: Charnel grounds

Post by Aryjna »

They did that in Indian Vajrayana too. I haven't heard before that they ate dead bodies though.
passel

Post by passel »

Nowadays, they just mix a little red Gatorade into yogurt, then either put some sugar water in a bowl, or have a half a glass of Merlot and some antipasti, and everyone is on their phones half the time.
"I have made a heap of all that I have met"- Svetonious
kalden yungdrung

passel wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:53 am Nowadays, they just mix a little red Gatorade into yogurt, then either put some sugar water in a bowl, or have a half a glass of Merlot and some antipasti, and everyone is on their phones half the time.
Agree , saw that also one time, these Sadhus are "emancipated", everything changes, nothing stays for ever the same.
Maybe they will take one time a "Big Mac Whooper," who knows.
passel

Post by passel »

I am glad for spiritual diversity. Everybody needs a little different medicine. Hard to tell medicine from poison too half the time.
MatthewAngby

Post by MatthewAngby »

kalden yungdrung wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:24 am Tashi delek,

We know in Tibetan / Indian Tantrayana also many Yogis who dwelled in charnel grounds.

Below non Tibetan Yogis, but some Indian yogis , the Aghori Sadhus, who still dwell on charnel grounds, to overcome fear.
They have / share some similarities with the Tibetan Yogis, their conviction /belief differs.

Doesn’t their practice somehow is a bit similar with Tibetan yogis? ( eg. everything is inherently pure, natural state - no fear or disgust ) ... I sometimes wonder if they can be liberated like this?
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

MatthewAngby wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:14 amDoesn’t their practice somehow is a bit similar with Tibetan yogis? ( eg. everything is inherently pure, natural state - no fear or disgust ) ... I sometimes wonder if they can be liberated like this?
Unfortunately, for them, they have an eternalist view, so...
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
kalden yungdrung

MatthewAngby wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:14 am
kalden yungdrung wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:24 am Tashi delek,

Doesn’t their practice somehow is a bit similar with Tibetan yogis? ( eg. everything is inherently pure, natural state - no fear or disgust ) ... I sometimes wonder if they can be liberated like this?
That which they can share is the practice of subduing / control fear, regarding the sleeping in charnel grounds.
Tilopa met Krishnacharya at the charnel grounds one time.
So this Indian Mahasiddhas who is the Father of Kagyu knew very well the Indian charnel grounds and their Saddhus.
The methods of living in charnel grounds was copied, not the philosophy of the Sadhus.
amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc »

Grigoris wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:24 am
MatthewAngby wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:14 amDoesn’t their practice somehow is a bit similar with Tibetan yogis? ( eg. everything is inherently pure, natural state - no fear or disgust ) ... I sometimes wonder if they can be liberated like this?
Unfortunately, for them, they have an eternalist view, so...
Now you have done it Greg.Here comes the angry perennialist posts.Run for your eternal life. :tongue:
cyril

Post by cyril »

I think at least some of them might have attained some realization akin to that of an accomplished chodpa. Otherwise, it is hard to explain how they manage to survive in such environments. There are aghori sadhus living in the cremation grounds of Varanasi. You've probably seen images with the Ganges waters at Varanasi; full of rotting corpses, excrement and garbage. Still, they drink and bath in that water and yet they stay pretty healthy. As an ordinary person, I don't think you would last very long doing that; in a matter of days, you would probably get hepatitis or cholera or amoebiasis and that would be it.
"You have to make the good out of the bad because that is all you have got to make it out of."
- Robert Penn Warren -
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

cyril wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:25 pm
I think at least some of them might have attained some realization akin to that of an accomplished chodpa. Otherwise, it is hard to explain how they manage to survive in such environments. There are aghori sadhus living in the cremation grounds of Varanasi. You've probably seen images with the Ganges waters at Varanasi; full of rotting corpses, excrement and garbage. Still, they drink and bath in that water and yet they stay pretty healthy. As an ordinary person, I don't think you would last very long doing that; in a matter of days, you would probably get hepatitis or cholera or amoebiasis and that would be it.
Siddhi can be worldly too.

There is no doubt they would have attainment of siddhi, the question is about liberation.

Without right view...
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
kalden yungdrung

cyril wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:25 pm
Tashi delek,

To overcome the fear or using the fear as a method that is what these Aghori Sadhus and Chöpas have in common.
Fear for the Bardo of dying that is also well known in the Tibetan Traditions.

The Chöpas make use of the charnel grounds based on the Indian customs. It is not strange that the Chöpas also make use of shamanic customs like the Damaru . So the Chöpas have a mixed up culture based on the Wisdom Sutra or on Tantra mixed with shamanic customs.

But to overcome the fear or cutting this fear that is the common practise which all these charnel ground dwellers share.
To what this practise as fruit will lead for all of these charnel ground dwellers, that is sooner or later liberation, no doubt about it.
Natan

Post by Natan »

There are scary places. I hear cemeteries in England can be haunted.
Vajra fangs deliver vajra venom to your Mara body.
kalden yungdrung

Crazywisdom wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:25 am There are scary places. I hear cemeteries in England can be haunted.
Agree, there are many scary places in the world.
A good place for meditation and practice.
To overcome fear like in the Bardo and dreams as well at scary places is a very good practice, it causes a powerful mind.

In the Bardo is this fear the cause for running away from the state of Enlightenment, and mostly was already experienced during live like in the dreams (nightmares).

All in all there are some methods to overcome fear and that must not per se dwelling in charnel grounds, cemeteries or hammer houses of horrors.

The good thing of a Chöpa is that he/she can perform acts of Compassion, but that is with Chü tor ritual also possible.
There the body is also offered to the guests.
Natan

Post by Natan »

Being alone the the dark forest is scary, too.
fckw

Post by fckw »

Most importantly they look so chique with that skull over the rastas!

But of course such dreadful practices as hanging around the charnel grounds, sitting on corpses could never possibly have existed in Vajrayana Buddhism. For example, Chöd was certainly meant right from the start to be practiced mainly by vegetarian, post-Christian Westerners in the safety of their retreat center having a golden buddha statue standing around somewhere.
Natan

Post by Natan »

fckw wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:41 pm Most importantly they look so chique with that skull over the rastas!

But of course such dreadful practices as hanging around the charnel grounds, sitting on corpses could never possibly have existed in Vajrayana Buddhism.
I guess you haven’t read Kalachakra. This is how mundane siddhis are attained.
passel

Post by passel »

I think he or she was being sarcastic
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

Crazywisdom wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:32 pm Being alone the the dark forest is scary, too.
In Czechia we have these old lost villages where at the end of the WW2 Germas have lived, but were either killed or forced to go to Germany when we were liberated. Soo I bet that those places with hundreds of years of history and such sad ending could be great for Chöd. I hope to learn Chöd properly one day and maybe try a small "pilgrimage" and stopping for the night at those places.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
Natan

Post by Natan »

Miroku wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:22 pm
Crazywisdom wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:32 pm Being alone the the dark forest is scary, too.
In Czechia we have these old lost villages where at the end of the WW2 Germas have lived, but were either killed or forced to go to Germany when we were liberated. Soo I bet that those places with hundreds of years of history and such sad ending could be great for Chöd. I hope to learn Chöd properly one day and maybe try a small "pilgrimage" and stopping for the night at those places.
That’s a good idea.

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”