TIPS? ADVICE? Leaving one sangha, looking for another, interested in Tergar/Mingyur

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Powerful bliss

Re: TIPS? ADVICE? Leaving one sangha, looking for another, interested in Tergar/Mingyur

Post by Powerful bliss »

Thank you I found this really helpful. It sounds like you have a lot of respect for Mingyur as a practitioner and teacher.
Do you need pointing out instructions to start Ngyondro?
And it seems you might reccomend the option that involves less ritual if I am to pick between one Ngyondro that involves more and one that involves less.
Is the "path of liberation" the Ngyondro practice?

I am considering taking his online beginner courses, even though I am already quite experienced with shamatha-vipassana, to get a feeling for his teaching style. I think he won't be back in the US till next year anyway so I could save up to see if I could do a PO retreat.

Thank you for all of this info!

It might be some time but I am feeling like he is the right teacher for me to go towards.
I think it is a good idea to start with the Joy of Living program (especially level 1 and 2). Mingyur Rinpoche said many times that this is not a course only for beginners. In fact, I can say many years later that practically all those teachings are part of Mahamudra. Basically, you get everything you need from day 1 and this type of introduction does help a lot not to get lost and to provide strong foundations for the Ngondro and Nature of Mind practices.
weitsicht

Re: TIPS? ADVICE? Leaving one sangha, looking for another, interested in Tergar/Mingyur

Post by weitsicht »

During a retreat I attended this summer, there were many participants who started off with the online programme and received empowerment only later when the occasion was there. I recommend you rather do not rely on hearsay but contact the instructors. I think I even remember Mingyur saying that every moment is a good point to start off and aspire to obtain the necessary empowerment later/soon.

The retreat design in Europe is Joy of Living I and II and Nectar of the Path I and II. Direct introduction comes only with the nectar I. So, no, you usually don't start off with direct introduction.

@Lolcat The programme design is a moving target. Mingyur himself said that he is trying out things and that nothing is fixed (yet).

From how I read the programme descriptions, the Nectar of the Path does not allow for particular later empowerments for which the Ngondro is needed. My feeling tells me that it is a question of time until that will be levelled-out as-well.

For me it is a real pity that the participation in such program is a fix requirement for the higher teachings. I am not feeling like committing myself to a set programme, counting repetitions etc. So @Stewart I can't help envying you a little.
Ho! All the possible appearances and existences of samsara and nirvana have the same source, yet two paths and two results arise as the magical display of awareness and unawareness.
HO NANG SRI KHOR DAE THAMCHE KUN ZHI CHIG LAM NYI DRAE BU NYI RIG DANG MA RIG CHOM THRUL TE
Arupajhana7

Post by Arupajhana7 »

Sweet. Thank you folks! I am planning on starting the online Joy of Living classes. I am reading the Joy of Living book now. I am hoping to save up to have enough money to get to one of his retreats next summer.
I will reach out to the Tergar leaders.

Thank you so much!
LolCat

Post by LolCat »

Just an update, I just signed up for the Vajrayana Online program and am now able to access the Nectar of the Path course. There are modules for each part of the liturgy that anyone can access, but the media related to nature of mind practice is in the Path of Liberation section which requires pointing out instructions. That said, there is still plenty of material which have no prerequisites, there are monthly webinars with senior Tergar instructors and even Mingyur Rinpoche if his schedule allows for it, and opportunities to set up private interviews with senior Tergar instructors if needed.
The Path of Liberation structure is well laid out in case you wish to start out with it, there are even provisions for when you are already practicing ngondro under a different teacher.

Having just looked around, it is an amazing resource and I wish I had signed up sooner.
Moha

Post by Moha »

Powerful bliss wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:54 am I think it is a good idea to start with the Joy of Living program (especially level 1 and 2). Mingyur Rinpoche said many times that this is not a course only for beginners. In fact, I can say many years later that practically all those teachings are part of Mahamudra. Basically, you get everything you need from day 1 and this type of introduction does help a lot not to get lost and to provide strong foundations for the Ngondro and Nature of Mind practices.
Apologies for reviving a dormant thread; didn't think this warranted a new post.

I had the good fortune of attending a JOL workshop with Mingyur Rinpoche for the first time recently. The man is a master craftsman at weaving esoteric concepts with simple exercises to present very direct yet profound teachings. At times, the whole event felt like it was one big pointing-out instruction. There was something for everyone regardless of experience and/or lineage. Simply amazing.

:bow:
Arupajhana7

Post by Arupajhana7 »

Ignorant_Fool wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:37 am
Powerful bliss wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:54 am I think it is a good idea to start with the Joy of Living program (especially level 1 and 2). Mingyur Rinpoche said many times that this is not a course only for beginners. In fact, I can say many years later that practically all those teachings are part of Mahamudra. Basically, you get everything you need from day 1 and this type of introduction does help a lot not to get lost and to provide strong foundations for the Ngondro and Nature of Mind practices.
Apologies for reviving a dormant thread; didn't think this warranted a new post.

I had the good fortune of attending a JOL workshop with Mingyur Rinpoche for the first time recently. The man is a master craftsman at weaving esoteric concepts with simple exercises to present very direct yet profound teachings. At times, the whole event felt like it was one big pointing-out instruction. There was something for everyone regardless of experience and/or lineage. Simply amazing.

:bow:
Glad you had such a good experience. I am doing JOL online and finding it is good.

I am thinking of trying to do a retreat with him to get PO instructions.

I have some hesitation about it though because of the bad feelings I still have about the guru devotion dynamic because of my experiences in Shambhala. I am hoping I would get a chance to ask him about it.

I am thinking it might make sense for me to do the layperson track of more resting in the nature of mind without the vajrasatva traditional nygondro practices. On the one hand I want to do a traditional Ngyondro to purify my karma but I have some resistance toward some of those forms now, again due to my experiences in shambhala.

It's like I am simultaneously drawn towards and repelled by certain aspects of the Vajrayana now.
Powerful bliss

Post by Powerful bliss »

Arupajhana7 wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:12 am
Glad you had such a good experience. I am doing JOL online and finding it is good.

I am thinking of trying to do a retreat with him to get PO instructions.

I have some hesitation about it though because of the bad feelings I still have about the guru devotion dynamic because of my experiences in Shambhala. I am hoping I would get a chance to ask him about it.

I am thinking it might make sense for me to do the layperson track of more resting in the nature of mind without the vajrasatva traditional nygondro practices. On the one hand I want to do a traditional Ngyondro to purify my karma but I have some resistance toward some of those forms now, again due to my experiences in shambhala.

It's like I am simultaneously drawn towards and repelled by certain aspects of the Vajrayana now.
Don't worry about that! There will be no teaching on guru devotion or any devotion requested during this retreat... Maybe some students will behave in some weird way but you don't have at all to do the same. Just be yourself.
My advice would be just to go there and judge by yourself. It may well be very different from what you have experienced before!
LolCat

Post by LolCat »

Got this update from Tergar by email about the prerequisites for Path of Liberation:
Because the teachings and practices build on each other, deepening our experience and understanding, there are requirements before attending the next level of teachings. Rinpoche recently reviewed these prerequisites and made a change for Transmission 1 & 2 events. Due to the emphasis on meditation experience in our lineage, it is no longer sufficient to simply have received pointing out instructions from a qualified Buddhist lineage holder in order to attend a Path of Liberation retreat. These events may be attended by those who have completed the three Joy of Living levels, along with their practice requirements, and by those who have practiced extensively in another Buddhist lineage (detailed requirements can be found on individual event pages). If you have any questions, please email [email protected].
treehuggingoctopus

Post by treehuggingoctopus »

LolCat wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:55 am Got this update from Tergar by email about the prerequisites for Path of Liberation:
Because the teachings and practices build on each other, deepening our experience and understanding, there are requirements before attending the next level of teachings. Rinpoche recently reviewed these prerequisites and made a change for Transmission 1 & 2 events. Due to the emphasis on meditation experience in our lineage, it is no longer sufficient to simply have received pointing out instructions from a qualified Buddhist lineage holder in order to attend a Path of Liberation retreat. These events may be attended by those who have completed the three Joy of Living levels, along with their practice requirements, and by those who have practiced extensively in another Buddhist lineage (detailed requirements can be found on individual event pages). If you have any questions, please email [email protected].
Thanks. The Tergar website has not been updated yet, I would be very grateful for any further details/clarifications.
Générosité de l’invisible.
Notre gratitude est infinie.
Le critère est l’hospitalité.

Edmond Jabès
LolCat

Post by LolCat »

treehuggingoctopus wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:17 am
LolCat wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:55 am Got this update from Tergar by email about the prerequisites for Path of Liberation:
Thanks. The Tergar website has not been updated yet, I would be very grateful for any further details/clarifications.
I will post any further updates that I receive, but I am not sure if there will be any update to the website. Here is the annual retreat event page for 2019:
https://tergar.org/events/exploring-the ... awareness/

This is 2018's event page:
https://tergar.org/events/exploring-nature-mind/

If you take a look at the qualifying requirements, this one is missing one from the 2019 page:
-- Have received pointing out teachings from a qualified Buddhist lineage holder (a tulku or rinpoche)

I think it would be best to email Tergar about the requirements though if planning on registering for the event, I think it was mentioned in this thread itself that these have been waived before.
treehuggingoctopus

Post by treehuggingoctopus »

LolCat wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:28 am
treehuggingoctopus wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:17 am
I will post any further updates that I receive, but I am not sure if there will be any update to the website. Here is the annual retreat event page for 2019:
https://tergar.org/events/exploring-the ... awareness/

This is 2018's event page:
https://tergar.org/events/exploring-nature-mind/

If you take a look at the qualifying requirements, this one is missing one from the 2019 page:
-- Have received pointing out teachings from a qualified Buddhist lineage holder (a tulku or rinpoche)

I think it would be best to email Tergar about the requirements though if planning on registering for the event, I think it was mentioned in this thread itself that these have been waived before.
Oh, thank you, you are absolutely right -- it already is up-to-date. It would be less confusing if they had changed the requirements given here as well: https://tergar.org/programs/what-is-the ... iberation/
Générosité de l’invisible.
Notre gratitude est infinie.
Le critère est l’hospitalité.

Edmond Jabès

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”