Independent investigation confirms “physical, sexual, emotional abuse” by Sogyal Rinpoche

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
javier.espinoza.t

Independent investigation confirms “physical, sexual, emotional abuse” by Sogyal Rinpoche

Post by javier.espinoza.t » Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:18 pm

here: https://www.lionsroar.com/independent-i ... ign=buffer
The organization has also created a new code of conduct as of June 2018, which states: “if a guru asks you to do something and you cannot do it for whatever reason, you should know that you are allowed to say no.”
The investigation report can be read in full on the Rigpa website.
*here* https://www.rigpa.org/independent-investigation-report

---

i know some had enough with this issue, but it seems that it's taking a turn adapting to western society rules.
what are you doing

Sherab Rigdrol

Re: Independent investigation confirms “physical, sexual, emotional abuse” by Sogyal Rinpoche

Post by Sherab Rigdrol » Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:23 pm

Wow... I'm on the physical abuse part of the report. What a piece of shit....

Malcolm

Re: Independent investigation confirms “physical, sexual, emotional abuse” by Sogyal Rinpoche

Post by Malcolm » Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:38 pm

Sherab Rigdrol wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:23 pm
Wow... I'm on the physical abuse part of the report. What a piece of shit....
Makes one view backscratchers in a different light.
Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

[A]nything at all that is well spoken is the word of the Buddha.

-- Ārya-adhyāśaya-sañcodana-nāma-mahāyāna-sūtra

The different sūtras in accord with the emptiness
taught by the Sugata are definitive in meaning;
One can understand that all of those Dharmas in
which a sentient being, individual, or person are taught are provisional in meaning.

-- Samadhirāja Sūtra

Sherab Rigdrol

Post by Sherab Rigdrol » Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:40 pm

Honestly, it read more like a play by play first hand account of Wrestlemania.

Aryjna

Post by Aryjna » Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:50 pm

It is a little surprising that no one beat the shit out of him at some point.

treehuggingoctopus

Post by treehuggingoctopus » Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:53 pm

Further, the report details allegations that Sogyal Lakar “instructed students to strip, show him their genitals, take photos of their genitals and show them to him, give him oral sex, have sex with their partners in his bed and describe sexual relationships to him, as well as lying to cover up relationships with him. He is alleged to have “groped students and asked one of his students to photograph attendants and girlfriends naked,” as well as offered his attendants to other lamas for sex.
If true, he is a sociopath.
. . . there they saw a rock! But it wasn't a rock . . .

Wayfarer
Global Moderator

Post by Wayfarer » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:10 pm

It’s very dissillusioning. I was given Tibetan Book of Living and Dying a few years back by a relative aware of my interest in Buddhism; I didn’t read it cover-to-cover but it seemed a good book and all the principles sound enough. So to find that the man behind it behaves in such an abominable manner is very saddening.
Only practice with no gaining idea ~ Suzuki Roshi

Dan74
Founding Member

Post by Dan74 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:14 pm

Power corrupts..

Funnily enough, my first Dharma talks were Sogyal and Ven. Sheng-yen who visited Melbourne within months of each other. Two almost diametrically opposed characters.

May the victims find healing and peace. And may he too..

_/|\_

javier.espinoza.t

Post by javier.espinoza.t » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:16 pm

honestly, look's like Sogyal's last resort: to not block the investigation and accept it's results.

Seems crazy, but not surprising. Things might be mended this way, if apologizes in between. ok, now i'm being naive haha
what are you doing

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Post by Queequeg » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:28 pm

Maybe this is a stupid question...

When a teacher is getting violent and angry... is that some sort of trance like the oracles?

What a mind f**k.
Those who, even with distracted minds,
Entered a stupa compound
And chanted but once, “Namo Buddhaya!”
Have certainly attained the path of the buddhas.

-Lotus Sutra, Expedient Means Chapter

There are beings with little dust in their eyes who are falling away because they do not hear the Dhamma. There will be those who will understand the Dhamma.
-Ayacana Sutta

Wayfarer
Global Moderator

Post by Wayfarer » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:44 pm

In Australia, the Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse wrapped up recently. The proceedings showed that such abuse is endemic in all kinds of religious institutions, and also many other organisations. (One of the stories in the report concerned the first ashram I visited way back in the 1970's which turned out to have been the scene of terrible sexual behaviour by the then-resident head Swami who was jailed and disgraced and suicided not many years later; report here.) The Catholic Church, as is well-known, is facing a massive crisis of its own with talk of schism and the forced resignation of the Pope.

I don't really have any kind of interpretive framework for this phenomenon - well, beyond the obvious one, that sexuality is an extremely powerful force in human relationships, and it can easily be perverted. Maybe the fact that religious types so glibly say that it can be overcome or renounced need to re-think. It's the many-headed hydra, cut off one head, and others grow back.
Only practice with no gaining idea ~ Suzuki Roshi

Quay

Post by Quay » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:48 pm

The full report seems to be very well done and is painful, sobering reading for me.
Queequeg wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:28 pm
When a teacher is getting violent and angry... is that some sort of trance like the oracles?

What a mind f**k.
I would think that an oracular trance would be full of phrases that need deciphering and/or would contain advice and information that was important to the situation. Not things like asking for sex, abusing people around them, or simply wanting things oral instead of oracular.
"Knowledge is as infinite as the stars in the sky;
There is no end to all the subjects one could study.
It is better to grasp straight away their very essence--
The unchanging fortress of the Dharmakaya."

– Longchenpa.

Lhasa

Post by Lhasa » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:55 pm

Maybe he is possessed by some god...or got shaktipat-ed...lots of shiva-babas acted the same way...

Mantrik

Post by Mantrik » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:55 pm

The cult I am more familiar with has permitted previously expelled sex offenders to ordain again and to teach once again as leaders of the organisation. Why? Well, because they are holy beings and thus 'beyond karma'.
I suspect this has been invented as an excuse based on the 'crazy wisdom' nonsense used by other abusers to excuse their actions.
http://www.khyung.com

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)

Quay

Post by Quay » Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:14 pm

Mantrik wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:55 pm
The cult I am more familiar with has permitted previously expelled sex offenders to ordain again and to teach once again as leaders of the organisation. Why? Well, because they are holy beings and thus 'beyond karma'.
I suspect this has been invented as an excuse based on the 'crazy wisdom' nonsense used by other abusers to excuse their actions.
I suppose I still can't reconcile the stuff in such reports as this with the often quoted notion that even if one's view is as high as the sky or equal to it then one's conduct is still supposed to be as fine as the finest flour. I can sort of understand, in times past or perhaps today but quite rare, when there was an isolated mountain yogi who everyone locally knew was "crazy" yet was a revered master. His or her actions would have been quite unnoticed by most of the world. But today when the world is much smaller, how can a master not take into account what their actions will mean to the world at large let alone their own sangha? I just can't grok it.

– Longchenpa.

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Post by Queequeg » Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:45 pm

Here's a stab... They're not masters.
Those who, even with distracted minds,
Entered a stupa compound
And chanted but once, “Namo Buddhaya!”
Have certainly attained the path of the buddhas.

-Lotus Sutra, Expedient Means Chapter

There are beings with little dust in their eyes who are falling away because they do not hear the Dhamma. There will be those who will understand the Dhamma.
-Ayacana Sutta

Josef

Post by Josef » Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:05 am

Queequeg wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:45 pm
There's a thought.
Kye ma!
The river of continuity is marked by impermanence.
Ceaseless flowing of appearance.
Beautiful and repulsive.
The dance of life and death is a display of the vast expanse.
With gratitude the watcher and the watched pass through the barrier of duality.

Josef

Post by Josef » Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:08 am

Aryjna wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:50 pm
It is a little surprising that no one beat the shit out of him at some point.
I have to admit that I too find this surprising.
One would think that over the course of so many years and such egregious abuse that someone would have intervened physically.
The power of cult mentality is astounding.
Kye ma!
The river of continuity is marked by impermanence.
Ceaseless flowing of appearance.
Beautiful and repulsive.
The dance of life and death is a display of the vast expanse.
With gratitude the watcher and the watched pass through the barrier of duality.

Quay

Post by Quay » Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:05 am

Queequeg wrote:
:smile: Depends on how you define a master. A Buddha? Probably not. On a Bhumi? Maybe. Something else? Who knows.

– Longchenpa.

DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA » Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:28 am

Queequeg wrote:
:good:

I don't think #metoo will stop with Lakar and Osel Mukpo. Hint: there's something rotten in Denmark, and it rhymes with guacamole.

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”