How to discover tibetan buddhism?

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Caoimhghín

Re: How to discover tibetan buddhism?

Post by Caoimhghín »

If you want to discover Tibetan Buddhism, just be a British man in the 1800s.
Then, the monks uttered this gāthā:

These bodies are like foam.
Them being frail, who can rejoice in them?
The Buddha attained the vajra-body.
Still, it becomes inconstant and ruined.
The many Buddhas are vajra-entities.
All are also subject to inconstancy.
Quickly ended, like melting snow --
how could things be different?

The Buddha passed into parinirvāṇa afterward.
(T1.27b10 Mahāparinirvāṇasūtra DĀ 2)
fornoxe

Post by fornoxe »

:juggling:
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

fornoxe wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:38 pm I dont know where I will. I will go where I will find monastery where I can stay and the tradition inspire me. :smile:

Le monastère de Sonada près de Darjeeling par exemple pourrait etre une début.
Oh ok. And you're right - Samdrup Darjay Choling Monastery in Sonada where the current Kalu Rinpoche was enthroned (which makes sense since the last Kalu was the Shangpa lineage holder, followed by Bokar Rinpoche). The current Kalu Rinpoche used to live in Paris (I'm not sure if he is still mostly there or not).

Kirt
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
fornoxe

Post by fornoxe »

In TB contrary to theravada,the main subject is to fibd the good master because the relationship is very strong?

I dont want someone famous. Theravada or TB I want an ascetic master hidden in the forest (or moutain).

The shangpa monastery is not really a good idea for me. Its was an exemple. But the big one could be a good source of information.
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

So as a result of Kalu Rinpoche and Bokar Rinpoche's activities the Shangpa lineage has been institutionally restored.

Shangpa Resource Center - Heirs of Kalu RInpoche

And they have several teachers here in the west. Assuming that you are in western Europe or Canada you have a lot of options for studying Tibetan Buddhism actually.

Kirt
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."

HH Chetsang Rinpoche
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

fornoxe wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:44 pm Can you explain if you want about the difference in terms of the ultimate view of mind? Sound interresting :smile:
Basically in terms of the classic presentation of philosophy:
Fondamentalement, en termes de présentation classique de la philosophie:

The Four Buddhist Tenet Systems Regarding Illusion

Les quatre systèmes de pensée bouddhique sur le thème de l’illusion

although this is not directly dealing with the nature of mind but is sort of essential as a start.
bien que cela ne soit pas directement lié à la nature de l'esprit, il est essentiel de commencer.

Kirt

HH Chetsang Rinpoche
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

fornoxe wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:23 am Thank you everyone!
I will like that carefully! Now i am on my phone I will reply next week with new things to ask.

Right now,I feel a big gap between theravada and tiberan buddhism. Especially about tantra. Meditation technic/great tool in TB (tibetan buddhism thats right?).
In terms of tenets (and this does not exist in French on Berzin's site but Google Translate would probably render it okay; it is there in Italian and Spanish as well as German and several other languages) : Tenets/philosophical difference between Theravada and Tibetan Buddhism

There are many other differences as well but basically the Therevada classically aims at individual liberation within seven lifetimes (although it too has a Bodhisattva path) while the Mahayana aims at the eventual liberation (after eons and eons) of all beings throughout the universe while the Vajrayana, of which Tibetan Buddhism is an example, aims at the liberation of all beings as quickly as possible beginning with the attainment of Buddhahood in this very body.

Kirt

HH Chetsang Rinpoche
fornoxe

Post by fornoxe »

Thank you for all this post. I will look that. Right now I am pretty busy (leaving to Sri Lanka) but I will take care soon about your links :sage:

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”