story details

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Greg

story details

Post by Greg »

Can someone please refresh my memory - what is the story of the teacher who demanded that his students renounce their former teachers but then would only teach the student who refused to do so. Thanks in advance!
pemachophel

Re: story details

Post by pemachophel »

That's the story. Three students came to a Teacher Who they wanted to study with. They all already had been admitted by other Teachers as students. The Teacher said that He would only accept those as students those who renounced their former Teacher(s). Two said they were willing to renounce their former Teacher(s) and one said he wouldn't/couldn't. The prospective Teacher sent to the two students away who were willing to renounce their former Teacher(s). The one who said he would not/could not renounce his former Teacher(s) was allowed to stay because he had shown himself to be an honest and reliable student who stuck by his commitments. In other words, he was not a "musk-hunter."

You'll find this story in Words of My Perfect Teacher.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
Greg

Post by Greg »

That you very much, that is the kind of tip I'm looking for. However, I've been searching the text for a while now and haven't been able to locate it, so any further pointers anyone might have are appreciated.
passel

Post by passel »

Greg wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:16 pm That you very much, that is the kind of tip I'm looking for. However, I've been searching the text for a while now and haven't been able to locate it, so any further pointers anyone might have are appreciated.
I'm pretty sure its in the early part of Word of my Perfect Teacher/ Kunzang Lamai Zhelung; I don't have a copy handy so sorry I can't be any more helpful than that.
"I have made a heap of all that I have met"- Svetonious
Greg

Post by Greg »

Thanks. I just reread the entirety of the Padmakara translation and I didn't see it. Possibly I missed it, I was reading quickly.
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

I am quite sure this story is in Kunzang Lamai Zhaylung. It's the only text my original Teacher ever taught and I know I heard this story from Him during one of these lungs.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
rai

Post by rai »

you might enjoy Ringu Tulku telling the story : )
Greg

Post by Greg »

Thanks, it's actually very helpful to know that Do Khyentse is the lama in question, that is new info.

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”