Studying Uttaratantra Shastra

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
calmdharma

Studying Uttaratantra Shastra

Post by calmdharma »

Hi,

I would like to study Uttaratantra Shastra.

1) Can you recommend books about it?
2) If there are online teachings on it, please let us know.
3) I have heard that it is Meireya's fifth book, so 4 previous books must be studied before. What's your opinion on it?
3) As I know, it deals with bhumi up to 10th. But through Dzogchen, it is said that 13th bhumi could be reached. Where can I find any sutra or tantra mentioning 13th bhumi?

Please help me to answer number by number, and not to get out the questions.

Thanks.
Tiago Simões

Re: Studying Uttaratantra Shastra

Post by Tiago Simões »

1&2) https://www.siddharthasintent.org/resou ... ha-nature/

This one by Dzongsar Khyentse Rinpoche is pretty in depth and long. All you have to do is request a free digital copy through email on that link. 😉

If the link doesn't work just look for "Buddha nature by Dzongsar Khyentse Rinpoche" on google.
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Hi,

3) I have heard that it is Meireya's fifth book, so 4 previous books must be studied before. What's your opinion on it?
3) As I know, it deals with bhumi up to 10th. But through Dzogchen, it is said that 13th bhumi could be reached. Where can I find any sutra or tantra mentioning 13th bhumi?

Thanks.
3. It can be studied on it's own. The Uttaratantra Shastra is also known as the Ratnagotravibhāga. There are extensive links online.

1. Buddha Nature: The Mahayana Uttaratantra Shastra with Commentary
Arya Maitreya (Author), Khenpo Tsultrim Gyamtso Rinpoche (Commentaries), Rosemarie Fuchs (Translator) There are now two editions.
The Uttaratantra; A Treatise on Buddha-Essence , Thrangu Rinpoche
When the Clouds Part
The Uttaratantra and Its Meditative Tradition as a Bridge between Sutra and Tantra
Translated by Karl Brunnholzl

2. Rigpa Wiki, Uttaratantra Shastra
Berzin, History of the Uttaratantra Shastra
A discussion here of the Uttaratantra Shastra
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
passel

Post by passel »

Hi,

Thanks.
Namchak Khenpo in Montana (Tulku Sangnak's brother, Penor Rinpoche's student) will be teaching a course on Uttaratantra Shatra starting next month, 6 sessions on Wednesday evenings, with a webcast available. That could be a good way to make your reading more fruitful. If you're interested, you should be able to get deets from this website:

http://www.ewam.org/retreats
"I have made a heap of all that I have met"- Svetonious
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Online and still in print is Takasaki's good study & translation of the root text and Asanga's commentary. He compared the Chinese, Tibetan & Sanskrit versions.

http://lirs.ru/lib/uttara/A_Study_of_Ra ... i,1966.pdf
May all seek, find & follow the Path of Buddhas.
calmdharma

Post by calmdharma »

I numbered falsely, so post the same questions with correct numbering. Thanks.

Hi,

4) As I know, it deals with bhumi up to 10th. But through Dzogchen, it is said that 13th bhumi could be reached. Where can I find any sutra or tantra mentioning 13th bhumi?

Thanks.
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

It’s worth reading it on its own before getting into the commentaries. In addition to DJKr’s mentioned above there is also a translation of Jamgon Kongtrul’s commentary. However before reading the text it’s worth being familiar with the tathagatagharba sutras’ presentation of the analogies used in the shastra.
Lingpupa

Post by Lingpupa »

As you see there is quite a bit to choose from. FWIW my own recommendation would be the one first mentioned by kirtu, i.e. https://www.shambhala.com/buddha-nature.html. A huge amount of careful work went into its preparation.
All best wishes

"The profundity of your devotion to your lama is not measured by your ability to turn a blind eye."
gb9810

Post by gb9810 »

Lingpupa wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:24 am As you see there is quite a bit to choose from. FWIW my own recommendation would be the one first mentioned by kirtu, i.e. https://www.shambhala.com/buddha-nature.html. A huge amount of careful work went into its preparation.
+1 for this
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Post by Schrödinger’s Yidam »

gb9810 wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:24 pm
Lingpupa wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:24 am As you see there is quite a bit to choose from. FWIW my own recommendation would be the one first mentioned by kirtu, i.e. https://www.shambhala.com/buddha-nature.html. A huge amount of careful work went into its preparation.
+1 for this
+ another 1.
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Ok, since there are people here that know the text, anybody want to share a thought or two on it?
_________
For me I see it as two texts. The first 3 chapters are about the 3 Jo’s. The las 4 are about Buddha Nature.
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
gb9810

Post by gb9810 »

FYI: to go with the book, you may also find some of these talks useful.

http://ktgr.dscloud.me/moodle/course/in ... egoryid=41
calmdharma

Post by calmdharma »

Thanks to you all for sharing nice books and online links.

My questions, 3&4, seem not to be interesting topics. But if you can give any insights, I will wait.

3) I have heard that it is Meireya's fifth book, so 4 previous books must be studied ahead of the 5th in order to fully understand. What's your opinion on it?
*1st: The Ornament of Realization
2nd: The Ornament of Mahayana Sutras
3rd: Distinguishing the Middle from Extremes
4th: Distinguishing Dharma and Dhramata

4) As I know, it deals with bhumi up to 10th. But through Dzogchen, it is said that 13th bhumi could be reached. Where can I find any sutra or tantra mentioning 13th bhumi?

Thanks.
Schrödinger’s Yidam

...you may also find some of these talks useful.

http://ktgr.dscloud.me/moodle/course/in ... egoryid=41
Thanks!

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”