Thangtong Gyalpo reincarnation

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
yagmort

Thangtong Gyalpo reincarnation

Post by yagmort »

anybody knows anything about current Thangtong Gyalpo reincarnation?

i vaguely recall Dzongsar Khyentse Rinpoche said he received plenty of teachings from the previous reincarnation, who were disciple of Dzongsar Khentse Chokyi Lodro.

there is a book about Thangtong Gyalpo by Cyrus Stearns ("King of the Empty Plain") but i don't have one in my hand to see if there is anything in regard his reincarnation line?
stay open, spread love
kirtu
Former staff member

Re: Thangtong Gyalpo reincarnation

Post by kirtu »

yagmort wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:29 pm there is a book about Thangtong Gyalpo by Cyrus Stearns ("King of the Empty Plain") but i don't have one in my hand to see if there is anything in regard his reincarnation line?
I don't remember Stearns mentioning anything about a reincarnation lineage in "King of the Empty Plain".
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc »

kirtu wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:45 pm
yagmort wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:29 pm there is a book about Thangtong Gyalpo by Cyrus Stearns ("King of the Empty Plain") but i don't have one in my hand to see if there is anything in regard his reincarnation line?
I don't remember Stearns mentioning anything about a reincarnation lineage in "King of the Empty Plain".
He is a young man now in his 20's.He is lives in Bhutan.I believe DJKR is one of his Lama's.
I had some information on him.I'll try to find it.
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

Yes, He lives on the side of hill in Thimphu in a small monastery populated by nuns. When I was there, He was in three-year retreat. So I didn't get to meet Him. However, I know He has been out of retreat for some time. One wall of the lhakang has a diorama (is that the right word?) with small figurines showing lots of events in Thangtong Gyalpo's life. There is nothing opulent about this lhakang. When I was there several years ago, the nuns were diligently saying their afternoon Protectors prayers.

FYI, down the valley from Paro and across a small river, there is the house and lhakang that Thangtong built near some of the iron mines He used to make links for His bridges. The bridge across the river actually is a suspension bridge using (I believe) Thangtong Gyalpo's original links. In any case, in the small "house" on the road-side of the bridge, you can see a bunch of original links from which you can take blessings. the suspension bridge is a trip in and of itself to cross. After you cross the bridge, you walk up to the left past some of the old iron mines. The house is good-sized and Thangtong Gyalpo's descendants still live in and take care of the place. Up on the top floor is a largish lhakang with a large statue of Thangtong Gyalpo. Facing that is His throne. Next to the throne is His cane walking stick. You can ask the nyerpa to bless you with this.

Further, at both ends of the Paro valley, there are stupas built by Thangtong Gyalpo. Most people go to the north one on the road to Paro Tagtshang. This is the famous one. It is unusual for a stupa because, inside, there is a dark, winding gallery with lots of niches for statues and you can climb up to an upper floor. But you need a good flashlight. When I was there the last time, the interior was not lit. The other stupa looks more like a usual stupa, although it also has a lhakang in it's bottom chamber. The story goes that Thangtong Gyalpo built these two stupas at the north and south ends of Paro town in order to stop an epidemic (which they did). This second stupa is rarely visited by tourists. It is in town near/on the way to the airport. If you're devoted to Thangtong Gyalpo, both of these are worth a visit.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
Sonam Wangchug

Post by Sonam Wangchug »

Yeah, he's from Bhutan and in his 20's, Recognized by HH Sakya trizin rinpoche, and a student of Rinpoche and Dzongsar khyentse rinpoche.

This connection has been established due to significant reasons.

One of them is that one of Jamyang Khyentse wangpos previous lives was also Thangtong gyalpo, the two were inseparable. JKW received the lineage when an emanation of Thangtong gyalpo called Tsondru Zangpo appeared to him in a real form and offered him a volume of the Thangtong nyengyu and bestowed the close oral lineage Nyengyu lineage of Thangtong gyalpo rinpoche. Through disciples of Jamyang khyentse wangpo these teachings were gradually transmitted to Kathok situ chokyi gyatso, who then transmitted it to Jamyang khyentse chokyi lodro. That is the history of the direct lineage, there is also a distant lineage existent as well.

Jamyang khyentse chokyi lodro who was also blessed with visions of Thangtong gyalpo, bestowed the transmissions to the previous Thangtong tulku(rikey chadral).

At the urging of HH Dilgo khyentse rinpoche, the present dzongsar khyentse rinpoche received the lineage from the previous Thangtong tulku. Who remarked that the lineage has been given to its rightful holder.

Continuing onward, DJKR offered the empowerment of the Thangtong nyengyu lineage to (there are two, other one is at mindroling) tulku's of Thangtong gyalpo recently in india.

Orgyen tobgyal Rinpoche said there are only Two lama's who hold this lineage living in India, one is HH Sakya trizin rinpoche, and the other is Dzongsar khyentse rinpoche. There may be a couple of disciples living from Khyentse chokyi lodro in Tibet, but he wasn't sure.

I hope that his lineage may flourish. Jamgon kongtrul lodro thaye said that Thangtong gyalpo rinpoche was Guru Rinpoche taking birth in womb form. His teachings are incredibly precious. Apologies if I have not explained the history of the lineage clearly enough. There are more details to it.
"To have confidence in the teacher is the ultimate refuge." -Rigzin Jigme Lingpa
yagmort

Post by yagmort »

what is Thantong Nyengyu? i mean do you know what practices does it comprise of? from what i understand Thantong Gyalpo were mostly Shangpa and Sakya with some terma of his own revealed along the way. i didn't know his teachnings became nyengyu lineage. thank you for sharing the info Sönam and pemachopel. if you know more please share!
stay open, spread love

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”