Mundane Wants?

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Tenma

Mundane Wants?

Post by Tenma »

So I have been doing a Manjushri sadhana of Garchen Rinpoche for a while and its sadhana says to visualize all beings becoming Buddhas, conflicts being erased, etc. However, with difficulties within worldly life, how does one incorporate the practice into improving circumstances rather than just praying for others and forgetting about yourself? Any suggestions, especially as these may be mundane wants like passing exams with a certain score, being relieved of rivals, etc.? I'm afraid I'm not very comfortable in requesting mundane things to enlightened beings nowadays. :shrug:
passel

Re: Mundane Wants?

Post by passel »

You’ve got to tend the field if you want a bounty you can share. But still, ground in altruism, while working to build a conventionally healthy self-persona. That’s your safe bet, I think Garchen would agree.
"I have made a heap of all that I have met"- Svetonious
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

"what do GR teaches about this?” that you should ask first, have you?

i mean, since you are under that three, in order to pick a fruit from it, you should search for it up there first.

one should apply considering the context sistem of teaching. considering not about sectarism, but about make transmission from a teacher to function and avoid mistaken results, like confusion.
true dharma is inexpressible.

The bodhisattva nourishes from bodhicitta, through whatever method the Buddha has given him. Oh joy.
Tenma

Post by Tenma »

javier.espinoza.t wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:04 am "what do GR teaches about this?” that you should ask first, have you?

i mean, since you are under that three, in order to pick a fruit from it, you should search for it up there first.

one should apply considering the context sistem of teaching. considering not about sectarism, but about make transmission from a teacher to function and avoid mistaken results, like confusion.
Yeah, not too sure where to find his teachings on desire, etc. If I recall correctly, the recorded Manjushri empowerment didn't say anything on improving one's circumstances(however, the record no longer works, so yeah...). Any of his students here please takeover?
Konchog Thogme Jampa

Post by Konchog Thogme Jampa »

Tenma wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:02 am So I have been doing a Manjushri sadhana of Garchen Rinpoche for a while and its sadhana says to visualize all beings becoming Buddhas, conflicts being erased, etc. However, with difficulties within worldly life, how does one incorporate the practice into improving circumstances rather than just praying for others and forgetting about yourself? Any suggestions, especially as these may be mundane wants like passing exams with a certain score, being relieved of rivals, etc.? I'm afraid I'm not very comfortable in requesting mundane things to enlightened beings nowadays. :shrug:
Make it simpler: Just do your daily Sadhana and focus on developing Bodhicitta.
kalden yungdrung

Post by kalden yungdrung »

Tenma wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:02 am So I have been doing a Manjushri sadhana of Garchen Rinpoche for a while and its sadhana says to visualize all beings becoming Buddhas, conflicts being erased, etc.
All beings including yourself are already Buddha, if you realize your inherent Buddhahood and look through this awareness, everybody is ok and perfect
However, with difficulties within worldly life, how does one incorporate the practice into improving circumstances rather than just praying for others and forgetting about yourself?
Wisdom and Compassion in balance as a practise ´that is developing relative Boddhicitta
To remain in the Natural State with the Visions that is to be aware of the inherent dwelling Buddha
Both practitioners can do in between good deeds born out of Compassion, because both have the never born Compassion and via this Compassion the living beings are reached. About ourselves we have to be patient and never expecting a reward for our helping "hands".
Ourselves that is anyway illusion and also all karma with a good functioning ego. Rewards supplicated to ego so that ego feels nice that is going into deeper illusion regarding ego. Does not the matter how good our / your deeds are it is all illusion, if it is connected to ego.

Any suggestions, especially as these may be mundane wants like passing exams with a certain score, being relieved of rivals, etc.? I'm afraid I'm not very comfortable in requesting mundane things to enlightened beings nowadays. :shrug:
Feel yourself happy without collecting fruits and do not expect anything about deeds,then happiness is never devaluated.
Never forget to do the best for other one´s illusions, mixed up with a high degree of Wisdom, then happiness and joy is self emergent
It can happen that one is working with another ego and then that other ego improves , is getting bigger, then we know we have had the wrong Compassion based on the wrong Wisdom.

For many it is the best way to become a Buddha as fast as possible, because in that way one can help at the best other sentient beings, via the short cut of Dzogchen and Tantra.
The rest will have a long way with many good and wrong deeds + suffering.

The best meditation is no meditation
Tenma

Post by Tenma »

kalden yungdrung wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:37 pm
Tenma wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:02 am So I have been doing a Manjushri sadhana of Garchen Rinpoche for a while and its sadhana says to visualize all beings becoming Buddhas, conflicts being erased, etc.
All beings including yourself are already Buddha, if you realize your inherent Buddhahood and look through this awareness, everybody is ok and perfect
However, with difficulties within worldly life, how does one incorporate the practice into improving circumstances rather than just praying for others and forgetting about yourself?
Wisdom and Compassion in balance as a practise ´that is developing relative Boddhicitta
To remain in the Natural State with the Visions that is to be aware of the inherent dwelling Buddha
Both practitioners can do in between good deeds born out of Compassion, because both have the never born Compassion and via this Compassion the living beings are reached. About ourselves we have to be patient and never expecting a reward for our helping "hands".
Ourselves that is anyway illusion and also all karma with a good functioning ego. Rewards supplicated to ego so that ego feels nice that is going into deeper illusion regarding ego. Does not the matter how good our / your deeds are it is all illusion, if it is connected to ego.

Any suggestions, especially as these may be mundane wants like passing exams with a certain score, being relieved of rivals, etc.? I'm afraid I'm not very comfortable in requesting mundane things to enlightened beings nowadays. :shrug:
Feel yourself happy without collecting fruits and do not expect anything about deeds,then happiness is never devaluated.
Never forget to do the best for other one´s illusions, mixed up with a high degree of Wisdom, then happiness and joy is self emergent
It can happen that one is working with another ego and then that other ego improves , is getting bigger, then we know we have had the wrong Compassion based on the wrong Wisdom.

For many it is the best way to become a Buddha as fast as possible, because in that way one can help at the best other sentient beings, via the short cut of Dzogchen and Tantra.
The rest will have a long way with many good and wrong deeds + suffering.

Wait, but wouldn't fulfilling the mundane desires of other's delusions just prevent them from doing anything good and will delude them? We saw what happened with Lord Chenrezig and his splitting to pieces...
So in other words, we take up a "Jesus factor" of suffering for others?
Tenma

Post by Tenma »

Empty Desire wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:36 am
Tenma wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:02 am So I have been doing a Manjushri sadhana of Garchen Rinpoche for a while and its sadhana says to visualize all beings becoming Buddhas, conflicts being erased, etc. However, with difficulties within worldly life, how does one incorporate the practice into improving circumstances rather than just praying for others and forgetting about yourself? Any suggestions, especially as these may be mundane wants like passing exams with a certain score, being relieved of rivals, etc.? I'm afraid I'm not very comfortable in requesting mundane things to enlightened beings nowadays. :shrug:
How does one keep consistent bodhicitta everyday? I keep having certain days and times, my bodhicitta "feels high," then on other days, it just seems too tiring to do the practice or there's low bodhicitta, but I get on with my samaya on doing the sadhana. Any advice?
cyril

Post by cyril »

By sincerely praying for others, you accumulate merit. By enduring whatever adverse circumstances you currently find yourself in, you purify your karma. By accumulating merit and purifying karma, the quality of your life will naturally improve. Garchen Rinpoche has advised time and again, when facing difficult situations, pray wholeheartedly to Tara; still, the answer you get from such prayers reflects your own karma and stock of merit.
"You have to make the good out of the bad because that is all you have got to make it out of."
- Robert Penn Warren -
kalden yungdrung

Post by kalden yungdrung »

Tenma wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:34 pm

How does one keep consistent bodhicitta everyday? I keep having certain days and times, my bodhicitta "feels high," then on other days, it just seems too tiring to do the practice or there's low bodhicitta, but I get on with my samaya on doing the sadhana. Any advice?
Bodhicitta is kept every day if we do not forget to practice Compassion.
If we give up Compassion then our career as Bodhisattva is finished.

So acting for the emancipation of another one´s Bodhicitta, that is the main practice.
For that one needs a lot of Wisdom, therefore Many Bodhisattvas take Manjushri for that developing Wisdom and Chenrezig for the developing of Compassion.
The third one here would be Vajrapani, because a Bodhisattva also needs protection.

Guess that a lower feeling of positive karma is due to the lack of a certain amount of + karma.
That means more positive actions based on insight.

If the insight / Wisdom is missing to the act of compassion, the result is mostly negative and so the feeling.
Therefore Wisdom and Compassion belong together and were never separated.

What separates is the ego and its clinging to:

- Happiness
- Power
- Emotions
- Ignorance

Also one should not feel good when doing good, but more neutral. Avoids low feelings.
The best meditation is no meditation
Tenma

Post by Tenma »

kalden yungdrung wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:19 pm

Bodhicitta is kept every day if we do not forget to practice Compassion.
If we give up Compassion then our career as Bodhisattva is finished.

So acting for the emancipation of another one´s Bodhicitta, that is the main practice.
For that one needs a lot of Wisdom, therefore Many Bodhisattvas take Manjushri for that developing Wisdom and Chenrezig for the developing of Compassion.
The third one here would be Vajrapani, because a Bodhisattva also needs protection.

Guess that a lower feeling of positive karma is due to the lack of a certain amount of + karma.
That means more positive actions based on insight.

If the insight / Wisdom is missing to the act of compassion, the result is mostly negative and so the feeling.
Therefore Wisdom and Compassion belong together and were never separated.

What separates is the ego and its clinging to:

- Happiness
- Power
- Emotions
- Ignorance

Also one should not feel good when doing good, but more neutral. Avoids low feelings.
I mean by feeling good as in a blissful sensation as though something is rising(similar to Vajrasattva and Saraswati), not emotionally(or perhaps it may be).

Can I do Saraswati alongside Manjushri for wisdom? I just seem to have more connection with her despite never receiving her empowerment(except a lung).
As forpower, can Guru Dragphur/Sinhamukha do and for compassion, Tara? I'm afraid my system of the 3 is pretty unusual.

So just to check, I need to develop wisdom first before compassion and then after mastering compassion, then power?
Tenma

Post by Tenma »

cyril wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:44 pm
By sincerely praying for others, you accumulate merit. By enduring whatever adverse circumstances you currently find yourself in, you purify your karma. By accumulating merit and purifying karma, the quality of your life will naturally improve. Garchen Rinpoche has advised time and again, when facing difficult situations, pray wholeheartedly to Tara; still, the answer you get from such prayers reflects your own karma and stock of merit.
How do you measure karma?
Wayfarer
Former staff member

Post by Wayfarer »

I don't think karma can be measured, but that doesn't make it any less real.
'Only practice with no gaining idea' ~ Suzuki Roshi
cyril

Post by cyril »

Tenma wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:54 pm
cyril wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:44 pm
How do you measure karma?
If you are talking about the karma you have accumulated so far, I really doubt you could measure that. But you can get a good sense of the karma you are currently creating just by being mindful throughout the day. How many times do you feel the urge to do something wholesome (like helping someone out of genuine compassion) and how many times to do something unwholesome (like hurting someone out of revenge)? How many times do you follow that urge (like actually doing something to help or plotting revenge respectively)? What kind of emotion goes with that? Does it feel good doing it? Do you rejoice afterwards in having done that?
Put aside a white pebble for each wholesome mental, verbal and physical act you've done and a black one for each similar unwholesome act. Compare the two piles at the end of the day. Which one is bigger? If the result is sobering, that's great, that's really wonderful :anjali: .
To know your past life, look into your present condition; to know your future condition, look at your present actions.
"You have to make the good out of the bad because that is all you have got to make it out of."
- Robert Penn Warren -
Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows »

Tenma wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:54 pmHow do you measure karma?
Wayfarer wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:07 amI don't think karma can be measured, but that doesn't make it any less real.
There are deitys in heaven who keep records.
Konchog Thogme Jampa

First thing: You're doing great a teenager focusing on Bodhicitta.

Also, you received Empowerment from Garchen Rinpoche and you are experiencing the Development of Bodhicitta.

You are practising a Sadhana which is causing that development given to you by a Great Master renowned for his Bodhicitta.

I don't think Bodhicitta needs to be analysed or quantified just keep doing your practice day-in, day-out. Well, I don't anyway but hey we're all different like that!!!!

I don't know if you do White Tara or Chenrezig practices? But I'd recommend them to anybody!!!

Bodhicitta is the Cause of all Buddhas and their Pure Lands.

Samaya though I would keep a close track on. I'm sure you know Garchen Rinpoche's instruction on that.
Tenma

Post by Tenma »

Empty Desire wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:10 am

First thing: You're doing great a teenager focusing on Bodhicitta.

Also, you received Empowerment from Garchen Rinpoche and you are experiencing the Development of Bodhicitta.

You are practising a Sadhana which is causing that development given to you by a Great Master renowned for his Bodhicitta.

I don't think Bodhicitta needs to be analysed or quantified just keep doing your practice day-in, day-out. Well, I don't anyway but hey we're all different like that!!!!

I don't know if you do White Tara or Chenrezig practices? But I'd recommend them to anybody!!!

Bodhicitta is the Cause of all Buddhas and their Pure Lands.

Samaya though I would keep a close track on. I'm sure you know Garchen Rinpoche's instruction on that.
Well, I do perform Lama Tsultrim's Tara sadhana monthly if that helps(and have made attempts to silently chant her mantras and prayer as much as possible in every market every time I see meat).

Yeah, I've sometimes had my high freaking out when I realized I forgot to do my sadhana on some days and was doing some sort of Vajrasattva sadhana or lungta or something(I've managed to practice Vajrasattva in the morning from Mondays to Fridays in school and on the bus at last when my parents can't see me and I can trust my friends)...

Once a person accomplishes a daily bodhicitta, how does one raise it to at least once per hour? :tongue:
Konchog Thogme Jampa

Tenma wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:33 am Once a person accomplishes a daily bodhicitta, how does one raise it to at least once per hour? :tongue:
Not sure what you mean, but I would see it both as an immediate and long-term effort at the same time.

You're doing well, you can put your trust in the Buddhas/Bodhisattvas. If you get a problematic mind, which is normal for Samsara recite the Mani Mantra or White Tara as you choose.
Tenma

Post by Tenma »

Empty Desire wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:08 am
Tenma wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:33 am Once a person accomplishes a daily bodhicitta, how does one raise it to at least once per hour? :tongue:
Not sure what you mean, but I would see it both as an immediate and long-term effort at the same time.

You're doing well, you can put your trust in the Buddhas/Bodhisattvas. If you get a problematic mind, which is normal for Samsara recite the Mani Mantra or White Tara as you choose.
Why not Green Tara? Can it at least be the mantra of Tara that is the essence of all her forms if I must do White Tara?
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Tenma wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:33 am (I've managed to practice Vajrasattva in the morning from Mondays to Fridays in school and on the bus at last when my parents can't see me and I can trust my friends)...
It is better if we keep our practice non-public. So if we practice in a public place from the outside no one should see anything. The practice should be completely internal.
Once a person accomplishes a daily bodhicitta, how does one raise it to at least once per hour? :tongue:
So we can make the aspiration in our mind "May all beings quickly attain perfect Buddhahood" or "May I and all beings quickly attain perfect Buddhahood" or "May I quickly attain perfect Buddhahood for all beings and lead all beings to enlightenment" or anything like that. HHDL teaches the prayer of Ambaraja (Manjushri's name in a birth as a monk) from Atisha's Lamp for the Path to Enlightenment (and from Ornament of Manjushri’s Buddha Land Sutra) but this is longer than just one line.
In the presence of the protectors
I arouse the intention to gain full enlightenment
I invite all beings as my guests
And shall free them cyclic existence.

From this moment onwards,
until I attain enlightenment
I shall not harbor harmful thoughts,
anger, avarice or envy

I shall cultivate pure conduct,
give up wrong doing and desire,
and with joy in the vow of discipline
train myself to follow the Buddhas.

I shall not be eager to reach enlightenment
in the quickest way,
but shall stay behind to the very end
for the sake of a single being.

I shall purify limitless, inconceivable lands
and remain in the ten directions for all those
who call my name.

I shall purify my bodily and verbal forms of activity,
my mental activities too I shall purify
and do nothing that is nonvirtuous.
So this combines Bodhicitta and the pratimoksha vows. Ambaraja was said to follow this practice six times a day.

So then whatever practice you do you should dedicate the merit for the attainment of enlightenment for all beings.

Kirt
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”