Mundane Wants?

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Aryjna

Re: Mundane Wants?

Post by Aryjna »

Tenma wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:33 am Yeah, I've sometimes had my high freaking out when I realized I forgot to do my sadhana on some days and was doing some sort of Vajrasattva sadhana or lungta or something(I've managed to practice Vajrasattva in the morning from Mondays to Fridays in school and on the bus at last when my parents can't see me and I can trust my friends)...
This has all been discussed before, so it's probably pointless. Simply put, at some point you will have nothing left to gain from these practices (mundane or otherwise), if you keep doing them in public and discussing them with your classmates, and it will be too late then.
Norwegian

Post by Norwegian »

Aryjna wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:28 am
Tenma wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:33 am Yeah, I've sometimes had my high freaking out when I realized I forgot to do my sadhana on some days and was doing some sort of Vajrasattva sadhana or lungta or something(I've managed to practice Vajrasattva in the morning from Mondays to Fridays in school and on the bus at last when my parents can't see me and I can trust my friends)...
This has all been discussed before, so it's probably pointless. Simply put, at some point you will have nothing left to gain from these practices (mundane or otherwise), if you keep doing them in public and discussing them with your classmates, and it will be too late then.
:good:
Tenma

Post by Tenma »

No, as in I can practice in private areas or in certain times. However, most around me have no clue what I'm saying nor understand, but as they're Christians, they prefer not to dwell in that area. Either way, the "extra practices" like the lungta are an open practice if you recall correctly with Lama Pema's prayer posted a while ago in "How to Raise Lungta." Just Manjushri is the one I whisper in.
jmlee369

Post by jmlee369 »

Tenma wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:11 pm
No, as in I can practice in private areas or in certain times. However, most around me have no clue what I'm saying nor understand, but as they're Christians, they prefer not to dwell in that area. Either way, the "extra practices" like the lungta are an open practice if you recall correctly with Lama Pema's prayer posted a while ago in "How to Raise Lungta." Just Manjushri is the one I whisper in.
Just because a practice or ritual is open, doesn't mean it should be done while out in public. One of the four ways of attracting beings is to accord with them in actions. For lay people in general, Buddhist identity shouldn't be obvious, because the practice is internal, not external.

Regarding your original question, to find success you should cultivate the causes. If you want to get a certain score, put in the study time. If you want to be relieved of enemies, there's always classic Shantideva:
Cruel beings are (everywhere) just as is space:
It can’t possibly come that I’ll have destroyed them (all).
But if I’ve destroyed this mind of anger alone,
It’s the same as my having destroyed all those foes.
Without practising Mahayana mind training, there's really little point in practising sadhanas. I'm curious, how many teachings on mind training, bodhicitta, lam-rim, general preliminaries, and the sutra path in general have you sought out? Garchen Rinpoche gives profound teachings on these topics, such as his teachings on the 37 Practices of a Bodhisattva. You can find more advice on transforming problems into happiness from sources here and here.
Josef

Post by Josef »

Tenma wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:02 am So I have been doing a Manjushri sadhana of Garchen Rinpoche for a while and its sadhana says to visualize all beings becoming Buddhas, conflicts being erased, etc. However, with difficulties within worldly life, how does one incorporate the practice into improving circumstances rather than just praying for others and forgetting about yourself? Any suggestions, especially as these may be mundane wants like passing exams with a certain score, being relieved of rivals, etc.? I'm afraid I'm not very comfortable in requesting mundane things to enlightened beings nowadays. :shrug:
Meditate on equanimity and the other immeasurables as described in WOMPT and The Nectar of Manjushri's Speech.
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
Josef

Post by Josef »

We should keep our practices to ourselves, and only discuss them with our lamas and close dharma siblings.
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
Tenma

Post by Tenma »

jmlee369 wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:41 pm

Just because a practice or ritual is open, doesn't mean it should be done while out in public. One of the four ways of attracting beings is to accord with them in actions. For lay people in general, Buddhist identity shouldn't be obvious, because the practice is internal, not external.

Regarding your original question, to find success you should cultivate the causes. If you want to get a certain score, put in the study time. If you want to be relieved of enemies, there's always classic Shantideva:
Without practising Mahayana mind training, there's really little point in practising sadhanas. I'm curious, how many teachings on mind training, bodhicitta, lam-rim, general preliminaries, and the sutra path in general have you sought out? Garchen Rinpoche gives profound teachings on these topics, such as his teachings on the 37 Practices of a Bodhisattva. You can find more advice on transforming problems into happiness from sources here and here.
So you mean to tell me that chanting mantras like "Om Hanu Phasha Bhara He ye Svaha" and so on to connect others to the dharma is not allowed?
明安 Myoan
Former staff member

Post by 明安 Myoan »

Practicing for people rather than in front of them is generally a good approach.
Namu Amida Butsu
Tenma

Post by Tenma »

Monlam Tharchin wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:26 am Practicing for people rather than in front of them is generally a good approach.
So what's the point of "anyone who hears it will be liberated" etc.?
明安 Myoan
Former staff member

Post by 明安 Myoan »

In a non-Buddhist environment, it takes some adjustment so you don't accidentally put people off.
How will people benefit from the Dharma if they get the wrong impression, no matter your intention?
Context is the basis of skillful means.

Luckily, people almost always respond positively to kindness, patience, generosity... the very qualities developed through Buddhist practice motivated by concern for others.

If you hold your practice secretly in your heart, you can avoid the obstacle of others reacting ignorantly, while also keeping a close eye on your motivations.
Namu Amida Butsu
amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc »

Tenma wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:35 am
Monlam Tharchin wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:26 am Practicing for people rather than in front of them is generally a good approach.
So what's the point of "anyone who hears it will be liberated" etc.?
Sometimes being surrounded by all that xstian influence brings out the rebel in you.
Sadly being a rebel does not always clear your path.
Liberation through hearing does not always apply to everyone any time.As MT mentioned skillful means is important or
as CHNNR says working with circumstances.
Josef

Post by Josef »

Tenma wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:28 pm
jmlee369 wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:41 pm

So you mean to tell me that chanting mantras like "Om Hanu Phasha Bhara He ye Svaha" and so on to connect others to the dharma is not allowed?
Far better to inspire others to practice by our example. By embodying bodhicitta our body, speech, and mind will draw others to the dharma without us ever having to say a single mantra or other method of conversion.
There is no need to proselytize.
jmlee369

Post by jmlee369 »

Tenma wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:28 pm So you mean to tell me that chanting mantras like "Om Hanu Phasha Bhara He ye Svaha" and so on to connect others to the dharma is not allowed?
Like I said here in a reply to another thread of yours, there are liberation upon hearing/seeing methods that work without the other person knowing, merely by seeing, hearing, or touching you. Anyway, the Hanu mantra is a liberation upon seeing mantra, hence the little pins that Garchen Rinpoche gives out.
yan kong

Post by yan kong »

This thread has taken something of a turn but for the original post I'd suggest to meditate on the faults of Samara is relation to your mundane desires.
"Meditation is a spiritual exercise, not a therapeutic regime... Our intention is to enter Nirvana, not to make life in Samsara more tolerable." Chan Master Hsu Yun

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”