The Point of Lineage Prayers

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Post Reply
Miroku
Posts: 947
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:18 am

The Point of Lineage Prayers

Post by Miroku » Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:19 pm

Hi,

I'd like to ask what is the point of lineage prayers? What is the benefit of reciting/singing them?
A boat delivers you to the other riverbank.
A needle stitches up your clothes.
A horse takes you where you want to go.
Bodhicitta will bring you to Buddhahood.

~ Khunu Lama Rinpoche

User avatar
heart
Posts: 4503
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:55 pm

Re: The Point of Lineage Prayers

Post by heart » Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:35 pm

Miroku wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:19 pm
Hi,

I'd like to ask what is the point of lineage prayers? What is the benefit of reciting/singing them?
It is the vast and profound appreciation for the transmission that makes your Guru Yoga shine.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)

Miroku
Posts: 947
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:18 am

Re: The Point of Lineage Prayers

Post by Miroku » Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:44 pm

heart wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:35 pm
Miroku wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:19 pm
Hi,

I'd like to ask what is the point of lineage prayers? What is the benefit of reciting/singing them?
It is the vast and profound appreciation for the transmission that makes your Guru Yoga shine.

/magnus
I see, so it helps develop devotion?
A boat delivers you to the other riverbank.
A needle stitches up your clothes.
A horse takes you where you want to go.
Bodhicitta will bring you to Buddhahood.

~ Khunu Lama Rinpoche

User avatar
Josef
Posts: 2280
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:44 pm
Contact:

Re: The Point of Lineage Prayers

Post by Josef » Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:38 pm

Miroku wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:44 pm
heart wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:35 pm
Miroku wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:19 pm
Hi,

I'd like to ask what is the point of lineage prayers? What is the benefit of reciting/singing them?
It is the vast and profound appreciation for the transmission that makes your Guru Yoga shine.

/magnus
I see, so it helps develop devotion?
That and much more. Lineage prayers inspire our practice and reconnect us to the blessings of the lineage.
Kye ma!
The river of continuity is marked by impermanence.
Ceaseless flowing of appearance.
Beautiful and repulsive.
The dance of life and death is a display of the vast expanse.
With gratitude the watcher and the watched pass through the barrier of duality.

Miroku
Posts: 947
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:18 am

Re: The Point of Lineage Prayers

Post by Miroku » Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:07 pm

Josef wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:38 pm
Miroku wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:44 pm
heart wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:35 pm


It is the vast and profound appreciation for the transmission that makes your Guru Yoga shine.

/magnus
I see, so it helps develop devotion?
That and much more. Lineage prayers inspire our practice and reconnect us to the blessings of the lineage.
Ah, thank you!
A boat delivers you to the other riverbank.
A needle stitches up your clothes.
A horse takes you where you want to go.
Bodhicitta will bring you to Buddhahood.

~ Khunu Lama Rinpoche

Fortyeightvows
Posts: 2054
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:37 am

Re: The Point of Lineage Prayers

Post by Fortyeightvows » Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:06 am

sutras also list all the names of those present

pemachophel
Posts: 1272
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:19 pm
Location: Lafayette, CO

Re: The Point of Lineage Prayers

Post by pemachophel » Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:08 pm

Consider:

The lineage starts with Samantrabhadra or Vajradhara. In Nyingma, it goes to Vajrasattva and then to Garab Dorje, Shri Singha, Jampal Shenyen, etc. to Guru Rinpoche, Yeshe Tshogyal, King Trisong Deutsan, etc. and then to Longchenpa, Jigme Lingpa, etc. down to who? Your Teacher. So would Garab Dorje have given the transmission to a dud? Then what about Jampal Sheneyn, Guru Rinpoche, etc. Each link in this chain was karmically destined and each of these Teachers mastered what needed to be mastered, Realized what needed to be Realized. That makes your Teacher pretty special doesn't it? Especially if, as in most Nyingma lineages, the line is quite short and direct. And then, who comes after Your Teacher? Who? You. So that makes you very special too. Without getting a swelled head over it, you can be confident in your karmic connection to all these great spiritual Masters and Mistresses. This means you, me, we are not just some random slumps. It also means we can do this. There are no mistakes in karma. E-ma-ho!

Now let's really practice!
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ

User avatar
Monlam Tharchin
Global Moderator
Posts: 2014
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:11 am

Re: The Point of Lineage Prayers

Post by Monlam Tharchin » Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:16 pm

:good:
Namu Amida Bu Namu Amida Bu Namu Amida Bu

"If sentient beings are touched by His radiance, their three afflictions will be eliminated and their bodies and minds will become gentle. They will be filled with joy and exuberance as benevolence arises in their minds. If those who are in extreme suffering, taking any of the three evil life-journeys, see this radiance, they can rest, no more pain or distress. After their death, they will be saved." -- Sutra of Amitāyus Buddha

The Teachings of Master Hōnen

Miroku
Posts: 947
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:18 am

Re: The Point of Lineage Prayers

Post by Miroku » Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:18 pm

pemachophel wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:08 pm
Consider:

The lineage starts with Samantrabhadra or Vajradhara. In Nyingma, it goes to Vajrasattva and then to Garab Dorje, Shri Singha, Jampal Shenyen, etc. to Guru Rinpoche, Yeshe Tshogyal, King Trisong Deutsan, etc. and then to Longchenpa, Jigme Lingpa, etc. down to who? Your Teacher. So would Garab Dorje have given the transmission to a dud? Then what about Jampal Sheneyn, Guru Rinpoche, etc. Each link in this chain was karmically destined and each of these Teachers mastered what needed to be mastered, Realized what needed to be Realized. That makes your Teacher pretty special doesn't it? Especially if, as in most Nyingma lineages, the line is quite short and direct. And then, who comes after Your Teacher? Who? You. So that makes you very special too. Without getting a swelled head over it, you can be confident in your karmic connection to all these great spiritual Masters and Mistresses. This means you, me, we are not just some random slumps. It also means we can do this. There are no mistakes in karma. E-ma-ho!

Now let's really practice!
:good:

Thanks, that's pretty encouraging. I once read an article by Khandro Rinpoche where she talked about vajrayana practitioners not being meek. And lately as I went back to the basics (ngöndro) I am more appreciating the confidence and trust in practice that arises slowly. I can't say that I have amazing visions, dreams or even that I have discoverd my true nature, but I can say I was once present and even maybe felt sth like compassion. :D Not much but still nice to see it works. :lol:
A boat delivers you to the other riverbank.
A needle stitches up your clothes.
A horse takes you where you want to go.
Bodhicitta will bring you to Buddhahood.

~ Khunu Lama Rinpoche

Post Reply

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Kilaya., Lingpupa, Majestic-12 [Bot], O_156, Tiago Simões and 51 guests