The Point of Lineage Prayers

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

The Point of Lineage Prayers

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

Hi,

I'd like to ask what is the point of lineage prayers? What is the benefit of reciting/singing them?
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
heart

Re: The Point of Lineage Prayers

Post by heart »

Miroku wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:19 pm Hi,

I'd like to ask what is the point of lineage prayers? What is the benefit of reciting/singing them?
It is the vast and profound appreciation for the transmission that makes your Guru Yoga shine.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

heart wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:35 pm

It is the vast and profound appreciation for the transmission that makes your Guru Yoga shine.

/magnus
I see, so it helps develop devotion?
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
Josef

Post by Josef »

Miroku wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:44 pm

/magnus
That and much more. Lineage prayers inspire our practice and reconnect us to the blessings of the lineage.
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Josef wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:38 pm
Miroku wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:44 pm

/magnus
That and much more. Lineage prayers inspire our practice and reconnect us to the blessings of the lineage.
Ah, thank you!

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows »

sutras also list all the names of those present
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

Consider:

The lineage starts with Samantrabhadra or Vajradhara. In Nyingma, it goes to Vajrasattva and then to Garab Dorje, Shri Singha, Jampal Shenyen, etc. to Guru Rinpoche, Yeshe Tshogyal, King Trisong Deutsan, etc. and then to Longchenpa, Jigme Lingpa, etc. down to who? Your Teacher. So would Garab Dorje have given the transmission to a dud? Then what about Jampal Sheneyn, Guru Rinpoche, etc. Each link in this chain was karmically destined and each of these Teachers mastered what needed to be mastered, Realized what needed to be Realized. That makes your Teacher pretty special doesn't it? Especially if, as in most Nyingma lineages, the line is quite short and direct. And then, who comes after Your Teacher? Who? You. So that makes you very special too. Without getting a swelled head over it, you can be confident in your karmic connection to all these great spiritual Masters and Mistresses. This means you, me, we are not just some random slumps. It also means we can do this. There are no mistakes in karma. E-ma-ho!

Now let's really practice!
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
明安 Myoan
Former staff member

Post by 明安 Myoan »

:good:
Namu Amida Butsu
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

pemachophel wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:08 pm Consider:

The lineage starts with Samantrabhadra or Vajradhara. In Nyingma, it goes to Vajrasattva and then to Garab Dorje, Shri Singha, Jampal Shenyen, etc. to Guru Rinpoche, Yeshe Tshogyal, King Trisong Deutsan, etc. and then to Longchenpa, Jigme Lingpa, etc. down to who? Your Teacher. So would Garab Dorje have given the transmission to a dud? Then what about Jampal Sheneyn, Guru Rinpoche, etc. Each link in this chain was karmically destined and each of these Teachers mastered what needed to be mastered, Realized what needed to be Realized. That makes your Teacher pretty special doesn't it? Especially if, as in most Nyingma lineages, the line is quite short and direct. And then, who comes after Your Teacher? Who? You. So that makes you very special too. Without getting a swelled head over it, you can be confident in your karmic connection to all these great spiritual Masters and Mistresses. This means you, me, we are not just some random slumps. It also means we can do this. There are no mistakes in karma. E-ma-ho!

Now let's really practice!
:good:

Thanks, that's pretty encouraging. I once read an article by Khandro Rinpoche where she talked about vajrayana practitioners not being meek. And lately as I went back to the basics (ngöndro) I am more appreciating the confidence and trust in practice that arises slowly. I can't say that I have amazing visions, dreams or even that I have discoverd my true nature, but I can say I was once present and even maybe felt sth like compassion. :D Not much but still nice to see it works. :lol:

- Arya Sanghata Sutra

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”